Bowl Projections 2020

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
With not much else to talk about re: GT football in November, may as well monitor the projections as we get closer to the finish line of the regular season.

Let's get this out of the way first.
  • Yes, bowl games might not get played.
  • Yes, we are projected to a bowl game despite what is likely a less than .500 record (see revised rules for 2020), and many will still disagree on whether a bowl invitation is fair or warranted.
Does that cover the main tangents?

As of the end of week 12, there are two projections for GT to the Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa).
  • ESPN: 1 of 2 writers puts us in the Gasparilla Bowl vs. Ole Miss. The other did not project us anywhere.
  • 247: Gasparilla Bowl vs. Memphis

Deleted member 2897

As I posted earlier in another thread, unless we make a major turnaround, especially on defense , we are more than likely to get embarrased on national TV. If it's only about the money we would get, that says a lot about where the program is right now. IMHO, we should NOT accept a bowl bid this year.

I hope people scared to play games are never put in a position of leadership in any sports teams.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I hope people scared to play games are never put in a position of leadership in any sports teams.
I'm not scared I plain just don't think a 2 or 3 win team needs to go to a bowl. And yes I know some will say you get extra practice but if I don't see a big difference in the way we play this week after being off 3 weeks than don't see where it would make a difference, Coaches can use the time to recruit and the players can use the time on school work and getting ready for spring practice.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not scared I plain just don't think a 2 or 3 win team needs to go to a bowl. And yes I know some will say you get extra practice but if I don't see a big difference in the way we play this week after being off 3 weeks than don't see where it would make a difference, Coaches can use the time to recruit and the players can use the time on school work and getting ready for spring practice.
There is no school over Christmas break.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You do realize that bowls are worthless these days and no one watches except gamblers and fans of the two teams. There is no reason not to play any game you can especially when you have a young team.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You do realize that bowls are worthless these days and no one watches except gamblers and fans of the two teams. There is no reason not to play any game you can especially when you have a young team.
See I know they are worthless but we ( Tech) would lose money playing in this bowl. But point blank I still think we would need 2 more wins other then maybe Duke I don't see another one. And Duke is not 100%.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Scared ? I am not scared they would play. I am realistic that, at this point, the impact of a loss - possible embarrassment, loss of money, possible injuries, negative effect on recruiting in February, outweigh the impact of a win- more practice time, and positive effect on recruiting, others?
Now, if we come out and start playing more solid football in all phases of the game the rest of the year, I would say yes, "reward" the team and coaches with a final game this year to show fans and recruits that we are on an upward path to becoming relevant soon. Just MHO.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Scared ? I am not scared they would play. I am realistic that, at this point, the impact of a loss - possible embarrassment, loss of money, possible injuries, negative effect on recruiting in February, outweigh the impact of a win- more practice time, and positive effect on recruiting, others?
Now, if we come out and start playing more solid football in all phases of the game the rest of the year, I would say yes, "reward" the team and coaches with a final game this year to show fans and recruits that we are on an upward path to becoming relevant soon. Just MHO.

I have to think not accepting a bowl bid would hurt recruiting way more than all that stuff you listed... but I'm also a 50+ yr old engineer with an affinity to tear-away old gold uniforms... I'm not the demo being recruited.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. See my post below.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I have to think not accepting a bowl bid would hurt recruiting way more than all that stuff you listed... but I'm also a 50+ yr old engineer with an affinity to tear-away old gold uniforms... I'm not the demo being recruited.
My preference would be that we would play a bowl game if , in the remaining regular season games, we could play well enough in all phases of the game to make a good showing. But if the players and coaches want to represent my alma mater, I would prefer to be reasonably confident that they will make a good showing- not necessarily a win- to demonstrate with play on the field -not fancy phrases- that we are making progress in the rebuild.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
As I posted earlier in another thread, unless we make a major turnaround, especially on defense , we are more than likely to get embarrased on national TV.
And? Sounds like most other weeks. The best thing for this team right now is to just play as much as possible so they can get more snaps in live game situations. Play whatever bowl they give us

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If the kids want to play if given the opportunity then you play! That Simple! They’re the ones playing and sacrificing their time and health right now, not us! Just because some fans don’t want to possibly be embarrassed while sitting on their couch doesn’t mean the kids shouldn’t get rewarded for what they’ve had to go through..... Are there too many bowls? Yea, but 2020 isn’t the year to complain.
Play and more practice. We need it!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Can we play uga in a bowl? Most of their players won't care which would take the fight out of them IF we hang with them early. And and it will pull in the TV eyes. Yea its probably a loss, but then our SID can just not count the game because if the crazy year. So the win/loss record vs them stays the same.

Deleted member 2897

You can’t be scared about injuries, recruiting, etc or you might as well never play.