Bowl Preference

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know there is a lot of football to be played, but I'm hoping ESPN bowl projections are right and we play Ole Miss in the Music City Bowl. Nashville is quick and easy to get to, there's a lot to see and do, a really neat city. The fan base would travel well and the match-up with 'Ole Miss' would be interesting and touches Tech's historical legacy. I used to spend a couple of weeks every summer with my Aunt Marcy and Uncle Jimmy (a Tech alumni, class of 64'). They used to take me to a great German restaurant called the Gerst Haus. It's still there, and the location was moved right next to the stadium. I get all warm and fuzzy thinking about it :happy:......

http://www.gersthaus.com/

http://www.musiccitybowl.com/

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lexjacket, I keep telling the folks here how great it would be for Tech and it's fans to come to my city for the end of year :D

Call me Lex. Nashville is a lovely place, shoot the more I think about it I may take my wife on a weekend get-away to Nashville, whether Tech plays in the Music City Bowl or not.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Since the Orange bowl is still (technically albeit unlikely) an option, that is my preference. More realistically the Music City bowl would be my top choice

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If it were any other year I'd pick Music City in a heartbeat. That said it's being played on a Monday and I may not be able to take off work. For selfish reasons alone Belk is really attractive as it's on a Saturday, it's also an easy drive (Charlotte), and as Ken (AJC) pointed out in his article today Tech b'ball plays @ Charlotte the following day.

The opponent would likely be less attractive than Ole Miss, but the opponent has no bearing on my decision and ability to go. I wonder how much timing will affect other GT fans as well.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know there is a lot of football to be played, but I'm hoping ESPN bowl projections are right and we play Ole Miss in the Music City Bowl. Nashville is quick and easy to get to, there's a lot to see and do, a really neat city. The fan base would travel well and the match-up with 'Ole Miss' would be interesting and touches Tech's historical legacy. I used to spend a couple of weeks every summer with my Aunt Marcy and Uncle Jimmy (a Tech alumni, class of 64'). They used to take me to a great German restaurant called the Gerst Haus. It's still there, and the location was moved right next to the stadium. I get all warm and fuzzy thinking about it :happy:......

http://www.gersthaus.com/

http://www.musiccitybowl.com/
OMG squid sighting! Man you have to do something about that avatar! NUK NUK

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
OMG squid sighting! Man you have to do something about that avatar! NUK NUK

Boomer you already know the story, but since I'm new here I'll 'splain' it to the others. That is a picture of me in 1973 on board the USS Constellation CVA-64. We were in Subic Bay, P.I. and I was about to go on Shore Patrol in Olongapo the town just outside the base. My assignment that night was too take Sailors and Marines back to their ships or barracks because they were too drunk to get back on their own. We were taking a young (he was 17 or 18) Marine back to his barracks because he was 'knee-walking drunk' and he was very distraught (he was about to cry) because his Philippino girlfriend had gotten mad at him and called him a 'communist'. He kept muttering that he was no 'expletive' communist and kept asking us for a cigarette. I finally got tired of his whining and said 'Look Marine, just shut up, I don't care about your girlfriend and I don't smoke so I don't have any cigarettes'. He stared at me for about 10 seconds, leaned over and threw up in my lap. My beautiful starched whites were ruined, when I got back to the Constellation I went straight to the flight deck stripped off and threw my uniform into Subic Bay. Boomer thinks it's funny and I have to admit 40 years later so do I. :unsure:

One of the things I love about Georgia Tech is their history with the Navy. During WWII they were an Annapolis annex and have produced many fine Naval and Marine Officers.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
My choice would be Belk Bowl. On a saturday so wouldn't have to ask off of work (out of vacation days anyway). I live in Columbia so Charlotte is not a bad drive at all. Highly doubt they will choose us though, gonna be UNC or Duke.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been to Nashville a couple of times to see the Atlanta Rollergirls play Nashville's roller derby team and enjoyed it. That said, I'll take any bowl that I could actually drive to attend.

techfan101

Georgia Tech Fan
Never been to Nashville so i wouldn't mind driving up there, i went to Charlotte last year for the championship game and the drive wasn't bad, so the belk bowl wouldn't be bad either.