Bowl possibilities

Would you be in favor of GT going to a bowl with 5 wins

• Absolutely!!

Votes: 130 78.3%
  • No Way!!

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • Depends on when and where we would go?

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I really can't decide how I feel about this .........

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think I counted 79 bowl eligible teams. The top 3 APR teams are Rice, UNLV and Auburn I believe for the last 3 spots.
You have to apply for the exception right? Meaning I don’t think you are automatically eligible. The team has to be interested first, then they have to have an APR that qualifies among the eligible teams.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, USC is most likely out and Ohio State back in. But still some football today. uGag, Michigan, TCU and Ohio State. I like only one SEC team. But unfortunately the mutts are the best out there.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But unfortunately the mutts are the best out there.

Maybe I am crazy. Or just getting old. But, for many, many years I looked down at that program and felt like it was WAY underperforming to its potential. Not at the level that TExas or USC has, but I always felt like they had everything they needed to be Bama or Ohio State. Possibly even more advantages than Bama even due to the HS talent in state. They were never really a bad program and you could always count on them winning 8,9, 10 games a year. However, they seemed to have finally gotten their ^&%$ together. The school is aligned and they brought in a guy that had learned what it takes to be Bama. Try as I might, I can't find anything at all that I dislike about Smart as a coach and I love their brand of old fashioned FB - win with a stout D and a solid O with a walkon QB who IS not even going to get a sniff at playing professionally (well, since that word is now different...let's say play in the NFL). To go through a season averaging 11 ppg defensively in today's era is mind boggling.

So the hate is gone. I admire their FB program for the first time ever. So what is it...am I getting soft? Dementia? Am I the grinch whose heart is growing two sizes during the holiday season? I can't figure it out honestly but it has my wife and friends worried.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe I am crazy. Or just getting old. But, for many, many years I looked down at that program and felt like it was WAY underperforming to its potential. Not at the level that TExas or USC has, but I always felt like they had everything they needed to be Bama or Ohio State. Possibly even more advantages than Bama even due to the HS talent in state. They were never really a bad program and you could always count on them winning 8,9, 10 games a year. However, they seemed to have finally gotten their ^&%$ together. The school is aligned and they brought in a guy that had learned what it takes to be Bama. Try as I might, I can't find anything at all that I dislike about Smart as a coach and I love their brand of old fashioned FB - win with a stout D and a solid O with a walkon QB who IS not even going to get a sniff at playing professionally (well, since that word is now different...let's say play in the NFL). To go through a season averaging 11 ppg defensively in today's era is mind boggling.

So the hate is gone. I admire their FB program for the first time ever. So what is it...am I getting soft? Dementia? Am I the grinch whose heart is growing two sizes during the holiday season? I can't figure it out honestly but it has my wife and friends worried.

Just getting old. Old guys seem to go one of two ways, curmudgeon or "soft".

I will always root against uGag but the fervor is gone for me too. Again, old. Trying not to be a curmudgeon.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

All of the above. Listen, I get it. But you, me, and others have to understand that as you age you become a different person and realize that. So even though your hate may be gone you need to be smart enough to realize that the hate is still there for all the same reasons it was 3 decades away. For UGA, they just got better at packaging it. They are still the same lying, cheating program they always have been. They just do it better now which is why your older self falls for it. As a GT guy you should be smart enough to set in place guardrails for yourself so when you start to mentally lose you just don‘t drown in your own pool. So while good ole south Georgia boy Kirby is “playing the game” in front of the cameras you gotta know behind the scenes he is ruthless and will say or do anything against GT. And he should because he is the coach of them. That’s what he is paid to do. Just don’t buy it. My son is a GT student and they freaking hate them. because their peers at UGA don’t hold back. Try and remember those days and let the hate flow. I hope they lose by 50 and their bus crashes on 316.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I admire UGA's program and even envy it but I still hate them, the clean old-fashioned way.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For UGA, they just got better at packaging it. They are still the same lying, cheating program they always have been. They just do it better now which is why your older self falls for it.

I think one's perception of them is sort of defined by your world view. Allow me an analogy if you will - I drive on the interstates at times. The 'law" says I can't drive over 70 mph. I typically drive between 75 - 77 mph and routinely am seen by the police or state troopers while doing so. I have never been pulled over at these speeds. Am I criminal bc I am willfully disobeying the law? Some will argue "yes" and I can understand that. Others will argue "no" bc I am driving at the limit that is unofficially allowed by the enforcing body of the rules themselves. Obviously I fall into the second camp. But I wouldn't argue that those in the first camp are wrong either. Back to their FB program - I think they play within "the rules" similarly to the way I drive at the "speed limit". I have no reason to suspect otherwise. What I do see as being different for them is they are finally at the spot they should have been all along. Some drivers however keep their speed at 70 or below and just get angry.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think one's perception of them is sort of defined by your world view. Allow me an analogy if you will - I drive on the interstates at times. The 'law" says I can't drive over 70 mph. I typically drive between 75 - 77 mph and routinely am seen by the police or state troopers while doing so. I have never been pulled over at these speeds. Am I criminal bc I am willfully disobeying the law? Some will argue "yes" and I can understand that. Others will argue "no" bc I am driving at the limit that is unofficially allowed by the enforcing body of the rules themselves. Obviously I fall into the second camp. But I wouldn't argue that those in the first camp are wrong either. Back to their FB program - I think they play within "the rules" similarly to the way I drive at the "speed limit". I have no reason to suspect otherwise. What I do see as being different for them is they are finally at the spot they should have been all along. Some drivers however keep their speed at 70 or below and just get angry.
No anger or road rage involved. I don't hate them because they drive 75 and Tech drives within a self-imposed 55 MPH limit. I just hate them because. I hope they hit an oil slick and careen into the ditch.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

Here's something to dislike about Smart: he comes from a racist family.

You think it's a coincidence the children are named Kirby, Karl, and Kendall? Good riddance and glad that family moved away.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Then you just believe they magically stopped giving Herschel types Trans Ams in todays currency. Listen, their entire school and system is based on exploiting student athletes. Jan Kemp taught them how to become better cheaters when she exposed their old school methods. APR was created so they just create bogus majors and classes to keep their players eligible. I would say they are cheating at a much higher level today. And I agree with you that GT should drive 90 mph and I’d be all for GT creating an entire line of BS majors to shove our athletes in so we win more games. But the Board of Regents controlled by UGA would never let GT do that but they gave UGA and engineering program. That should be enough hate to last. They control the apparatus so they no longer need to hand out cars or chik fil a bags. But at the end of the day they simply use the athlete. For every player who makes the NFL from there they have dozens you never hear about and the worthless schooling they received which leads to nowhere.