Bowl possibilities

Would you be in favor of GT going to a bowl with 5 wins

• Absolutely!!

Votes: 130 78.3%
  • No Way!!

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • Depends on when and where we would go?

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I really can't decide how I feel about this .........

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
82 teams will make a bowl; currently 75 are bowl eligible. Another 16 teams have 5 wins (like us) and have a shot at a 6th. Assuming 7 losing teams can’t win next Saturday, there could be 1 or 2 5-win teams to make a trip. Would come down to how our APR stacks up against the others.

Ball St/Miami OH play each other, so one will get to 6 wins.

4 other 5 win teams will be small favorites next week.

Most others (Auburn, Vandy, Miami, Mich St) will be heavy underdogs like us.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
82 teams will make a bowl; currently 75 are bowl eligible. Another 16 teams have 5 wins (like us) and have a shot at a 6th. Assuming 7 losing teams can’t win next Saturday, there could be 1 or 2 5-win teams to make a trip. Would come down to how our APR stacks up against the others.
Our football APR is average at best!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Looking kind of doubtful. There are 73 qualifying teams for 82 bowl spots. There are 16 five win teams. GT is 6th on the APR list of five win teams. So, if GT does not beat the mutts, only three of the five win teams can win this week for GT to qualify based on APR. (That doesn't even take into account the possibility of a four win team with a better RPI winning this week.)

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
There are 82 bowl slots available. There are currently 73 total teams that meet eligibility requirements. Below are the teams that are one win away and their opponent and APR order.
(Reference https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-by-conference-with-2022-23-bowl-games-ahead/)

The question is, if Georgia Tech fails to win on Saturday but by virtue of 5 wins and APR rating receive an invitation, are you in favor of them going?

• Rice (994) at North Texas
  • Auburn (983) at Alabama
  • Missouri (983) vs. Arkansas
  • Michigan State (983) at Penn State
  • Miami (982) vs. Pittsburgh
  • Georgia Tech (979) at Georgia
  • Miami-Ohio (977) vs. Ball State
  • Vanderbilt (973) vs. Tennessee
  • Ball State (973) at Miami-Ohio
  • Buffalo (968) vs. Kent State
  • Louisiana (955) at Texas State
  • Georgia Southern (952) vs. Appalachian State
  • Florida Atlantic (949) vs. Western Kentucky
  • UAB (945) at Louisiana Tech
  • Southern Mississippi (934) at UL Monroe
  • UTEP (934) vs. UT San Antonio

My heart says "yes, of course. It's another opportunity to watch the Jackets play football" ........ plus, they haven't quit and have continued to fight.
My head says (last week notwithstanding), we are not a good football team and my subjective mental criteria for playing in a bowl game is that a team should be "good" to get in a bowl game (Yeah, I know, that makes me a terrible fan, so please leave the shaming out).

My heart wins out and I say, "Yes, let's go".

How about you?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Depends on who we hire as new coach. If Key then yes. If some not on current staff then no.
Exactly what I thought when I read Ken’s article. Gotta hire the new coach immediately after Saturday’s game if it’s not Key (if they know who it is). Going to a bowl with a coach that we know is out seems like a recipe for a flat appearance and a loss

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There are 82 bowl slots available. There are currently 73 total teams that meet eligibility requirements. Below are the teams that are one win away and their opponent and APR order.
(Reference https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-by-conference-with-2022-23-bowl-games-ahead/)

The question is, if Georgia Tech fails to win on Saturday but by virtue of 5 wins and APR rating receive an invitation, are you in favor of them going?

• Rice (994) at North Texas
  • Auburn (983) at Alabama
  • Missouri (983) vs. Arkansas
  • Michigan State (983) at Penn State
  • Miami (982) vs. Pittsburgh
  • Georgia Tech (979) at Georgia
  • Miami-Ohio (977) vs. Ball State
  • Vanderbilt (973) vs. Tennessee
  • Ball State (973) at Miami-Ohio
  • Buffalo (968) vs. Kent State
  • Louisiana (955) at Texas State
  • Georgia Southern (952) vs. Appalachian State
  • Florida Atlantic (949) vs. Western Kentucky
  • UAB (945) at Louisiana Tech
  • Southern Mississippi (934) at UL Monroe
  • UTEP (934) vs. UT San Antonio

My heart says "yes, of course. It's another opportunity to watch the Jackets play football" ........ plus, they haven't quit and have continued to fight.
My head says (last week notwithstanding), we are not a good football team and my subjective mental criteria for playing in a bowl game is that a team should be "good" to get in a bowl game (Yeah, I know, that makes me a terrible fan, so please leave the shaming out).

My heart wins out and I say, "Yes, let's go".

How about you?
The players deserve it imo, it’s been a long time

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
The math is pretty easy.

We control our own destiny. Win next week and we get a bowl.

/
If we win next week, it's probably a GOOD bowl.
Wait a second, wait a second........ you're telling me that we can get bowl eligible, get a good bowl, AND destroy the mutts chance for a repeat all by walking out of the Paul Johnson locker room with a big fat W?

(ponders the question)

(smirks slightly at the idea)

(bellows in laughter at the carnage that would transpire)

SIGN ME UP BABY!!!!!!

beetle juice its show time GIF

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly what I thought when I read Ken’s article. Gotta hire the new coach immediately after Saturday’s game if it’s not Key (if they know who it is). Going to a bowl with a coach that we know is out seems like a recipe for a flat appearance and a loss
I disagree. If the players love Key the way they say, then they would be motivated to send him out with a win if he was not named permanent coach and still coaching them for the bowl.

pittkesh99

Georgia Tech Fan
For reference, for us to make a bowl game with a loss to u[sic]GA, only 2 of the following can happen (If at least 3 of the following happen, we do not get a bowl invite):
Iowa State beats TCU
FAU beats Western Kentucky
UAB beats Louisiana Tech
UTEP beats UTSA
Army beats UMASS or Navy
New Mexico State beats Liberty and beats San Jose State after rescheduling them
Buffalo beats Kent State or Buffalo loses to Kent State and beats Akron after reschedule
UNLV beats Nevada
Vanderbilt beats Tennessee
Georgia Southern beats Appalachian State
Southern Miss beats Louisiana-Monroe
Louisiana beats Texas State

I did some analysis and there is approximately at .4% chance we make a bowl game if we lose to u[sic]GA according to ESPN matchup predictor. So there's a chance! Would be one helluva parlay.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It’s not just the bowl game, but the practices you get with the bowl game. Considering we’ve also missed out on bowls for 3 years, it wouldn’t be a bad way to send the upper class man off.
I agree but unless they name Key as the head coach and someone else gets the job it really doesn't do much good if the next coach runs another offense or defense.