Bowl Game Announcers

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone noticed how poorly the TV announcers know the rules of NCAA football? I have noticed several times when the announcers apply NFL rules instead of NCAA rules. The latest was Dave Pasch in the Fiesta Bowl who said that after a missed field goal the opposing team gets the ball at the spot instead of at the line of scrimmage. That is the rule when he is calling Cardinal games, but is not the rule in college games.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone noticed how poorly the TV announcers know the rules of NCAA football? I have noticed several times when the announcers apply NFL rules instead of NCAA rules. The latest was Dave Pasch in the Fiesta Bowl who said that after a missed field goal the opposing team gets the ball at the spot instead of at the line of scrimmage. That is the rule when he is calling Cardinal games, but is not the rule in college games.
They never study up on anything:rolleyes:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I thought that was the rule as well - ball spotted at the spot of the hold. Is that exclusive to NFL?

High School -- If the ball comes to rest in the field of play or out of bounds the opposing team takes possession at that point. If the ball enters the end zone it is a touchback.
NCAA -- Line of scrimmage if the kick is outside of the 20 yard line, the 20 yard line if the kick is inside the 20.
NFL -- Point of kick if outside the 20 yard line, the 20 yard line if the point of kick is inside the 20.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think more and more announcers try to effect the end results of games. If there is a play that is somewhat close, depending on the team, they will over focus on that play. Sometimes, this alone causes a review. Its like ESPN is meddling with games, so team they want to win, end up winning. Announcers no longer have unbiased opinions, as they used to. Just my 2 pennies.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think more and more announcers try to effect the end results of games. If there is a play that is somewhat close, depending on the team, they will over focus on that play. Sometimes, this alone causes a review. Its like ESPN is meddling with games, so team they want to win, end up winning. Announcers no longer have unbiased opinions, as they used to. Just my 2 pennies.
I’ve been back & forth between the 3 games on now, but in the UCF game the zebras are doing everything they can to hose them from what I’ve seen. Man I wish that UCF QB had put some air under the ball when his WR was running free behind the safeties. Would have put them up by 2 TDS and put the SEC world into a tail spin.

Jmonty71

Banned
I’ve been back & forth between the 3 games on now, but in the UCF game the zebras are doing everything they can to hose them from what I’ve seen. Man I wish that UCF QB had put some air under the ball when his WR was running free behind the safeties. Would have put them up by 2 TDS and put the SEC world into a tail spin.
Glad to know I'm not the only one that has saw this game as a little one sided. I do think refs get pressure to assist in some teams to win. If not, it sure looks like at times.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hold on... the replay officials in the booth are "listening" to TV coverage real time during the game... while making decisions on whether to review a play & while making their call? Do you know that to be true? I seriously doubt that.

Milwaukee

Banned
Hold on... the replay officials in the booth are "listening" to TV coverage real time during the game... while making decisions on whether to review a play & while making their call? Do you know that to be true? I seriously doubt that.

Yes, in fact I guarantee they can tell what the announcers are looking at. What Jmonty is describing happens literally every game. They're not in a soundproof room - they're watching screens with no audio but they also "hear" everything going on in the broadcast from the room they're in.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, in fact I guarantee they can tell what the announcers are looking at. What Jmonty is describing happens literally every game. They're not in a soundproof room - they're watching screens with no audio but they also "hear" everything going on in the broadcast from the room they're in.
ok. This is interesting to me. But I think you contradicted yourself. Obviously, they are looking at the broadcast. You said no audio.., but they can hear. ???

Milwaukee

Banned
Sorry, should've been more clear. I don't think they're actually watching the live broadcast as their main feed, but I'm certain there are monitors in the room or monitors they can see from where they are that is the actual broadcast, audio included. So essentially they're watching and listening to both their feed and the broadcast feed.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sorry, should've been more clear. I don't think they're actually watching the live broadcast as their main feed, but I'm certain there are monitors in the room or monitors they can see from where they are that is the actual broadcast, audio included. So essentially they're watching and listening to both their feed and the broadcast feed.

It's painfully obvious them dudes are well aware of the broadcast.

Sometimes it looks like they were in the middle of a bowl o Sugar Snaps when an odd play happened. Then, when the broadcast makes a stink, suddenly there's a booth review juuuuust in time before the snap.