Bottom 25 (congratulates Jim Delany on his latest masterpiece) 11-12-19

GT_EE78

Banned
Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany will step down from his post on June 30, 2020.
he added Nebraska and then went after Maryland and Rutgers. Now, the latter two have finally rewarded Delaney for his efforts, as both are ranked in The Bottom 25 this week.

GT slipped up to #15.
WVA and Md joined the party

Rankings tightened a bit in the mythical Bottom 25 playoff to determine who the worst P5 team is,
but the seeds remain the same
1) #9 Northwestern
2) #10 Rutgers
3) #11 Arkansas
4) #12 Vanderbilt

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...tulates-jim-delany-on-his-latest-masterpiece/

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
How? Evidently they aren’t watching the games...
From the article (I provided the emphasis):
My working theory with Georgia Tech since the beginning of the season was that it was going to be bad, but it was going to improve as the year went along. That's what normally happens with teams transitioning from the option. That also appears to be what's happening. Might the Yellow Jackets pull off an upset down the stretch? The rest of their games are all at home. (16)p

Sounds like the author has paid attention, but is not going to change his computer model just because there is context to our struggles. Sagarin has us at rank 100, FEI was 88 and SP+ was 99 before UVA, ESPN power rankings at 95; so it shouldn't be too surprising that a computer model has us really low.

The good news is we have been improving each week, and I haven't see a reason to believe that won't continue.

GT_EE78

Banned

Sounds like the author has paid attention, but is not going to change his computer model just because there is context to our struggles. Sagarin has us at rank 100, FEI was 88 and SP+ was 99 before UVA, ESPN power rankings at 95; so it shouldn't be too surprising that a computer model has us really low.

The good news is we have been improving each week, and I haven't see a reason to believe that won't continue.
Sure, he pays attention and writes articles about them each week. most likely what Bob was poking at is the degree of B25 bias.
I'm not willing to invest the time to backmodel the B25 formula but a couple of things are obvious.
of the 8 P5's in B25 - Sagarin ranks 3 at 105-130, and the other 5 are at 70-105
it's biased but not grossly.
Others have mentioned this and i agree that he would get no readership without the P5 teams,
so he's overweighted W-L record and underweighted SoS and margin of victory
note - NCAA basketball selection group has moved to a formula that's more like this and less like Sagarin and Kenpom

GT_EE78

Banned

agree about the improvement , so kinda ballpark is that we'll have around a 50% chance to win each of the next two weeks.
chances to move up and out of B25 are good

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I really hate those "bottom" ad "worst" lists, regardless of where Tech may be ranked in some mythological sense of objective analysis. They are without exception smarmy, cheap and quick laugh gimmicks that serve not to illuminate but to embarrass and humble some team that made somebody mad for some reason. They can no more decide the bottom 25 than they can decide the top 25, as we see every week. It may be entertainment for the masses, but it is a cheap laugh track.