Bottom 25 (9/22/20) (Syracuse slides down the ladder)

GT_EE78

Banned
Anybody can rank the best teams, but only The Bottom 25 ranks the worst each week of the college football season
Navy only held #1 for a week. Now it's MTSU.
Syracuse has plunged to #3. I think we can help them to get over the hump to claim the #1 spot.
Duke/wake joined the party at 5/6
Ga Tech's debut is at #16. Loui at #19.. Odds favor that we bounce out next week.
Finally it's the long awaited SEC opening weekend when Ark and Vandy are expected to make
a full throated charge toward that bottom rung, maybe even sink below the lowly Syracuse Oranges. (did they change names?)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Dumb as hell, obviously didn't watch the game. It was a one score game in the 4th quarter, the wheels just came off (after the refs loosened all the lugnuts). Like how can we possibly be ranked below FSU who we beat at their place because they played nobody in week two? Doesn't make a lick of sense.

GT_EE78

Banned
Dumb as hell, obviously didn't watch the game. It was a one score game in the 4th quarter, the wheels just came off (after the refs loosened all the lugnuts). Like how can we possibly be ranked below FSU who we beat at their place because they played nobody in week two? Doesn't make a lick of sense.
I agree about the ranking below FSU. It appears that everyone who didn't play rose this week.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Like all of these things, this has zero meaning and is simply a money grab by someone who couldn't get a real job so makes up stuff and calls it 'journalism' as if that word makes poor logic acceptable.

Deleted member 2897

In the last 25 years, Duke has finished dead last in the entire ACC an astonishing 12 times. And here they go again. Yet the ACC media picked us dead last in the pre-season. Not only have we never finished last in the last 25 years in the ACC, we have only even been below 0.500 twice (a conference BEST). Many of these prognosticators are just ignorant buffoons.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I think in retirement I might make a bit of a hobby out of creating a web site with pretty graphics, and then fill it with a bunch of rubbish sports stuff that is randomly generated. It would hilarious to see that stuff quoted like it had any meaning at all. And besides, with sites like that how can teams like UCF every get to claim a natty?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Personally after watching both games multiple times, I don't think we are a bad team, much less a bottom 25 team but we are not a good team either. Syracuse is a bad team. They have some good players in spots but not nearly enough of them. They have enough players on defense to be troublesome for a half or so but eventually the three and outs catch up to them as in the UNC game.

GT_EE78

Banned
In the last 25 years, Duke has finished dead last in the entire ACC an astonishing 12 times. And here they go again. Yet the ACC media picked us dead last in the pre-season. Not only have we never finished last in the last 25 years in the ACC, we have only even been below 0.500 twice (a conference BEST). Many of these prognosticators are just ignorant buffoons.
agree. I'd put the probabilities that we finish in the middle 5 of ACC 15 at about 60 to 90%

Deleted member 2897

agree. I'd put the probabilities that we finish in the middle 5 of ACC 15 at about 60 to 90%

Probably a 95% chance someone goes 0-10 in conference play...which means all these stupid *** prognosticators we’re wrong from the very first game about us. We’re not world beaters, but there is nothing logical about expecting us to go winless this year.

GT_EE78

Banned
I think B25 will be more entertaining than usual this year.It will be less weird next week after the SEC has played. Eliminating most fluff OOC games means P5's can't pad their records so more P5's this year. If eliminating all OOC games would translate to expanding the playoff field, then I'd love it.

GT_EE78

Banned
Key Weekend Matchups:

Game Of The Week is obviously #2 ULM v #4 UTEP
We'll need to run up the score to push #3 Syracuse below the loser of that one.
Fri #1 MTSU v #22 UTSA
Th #9 UAB v #23 So Bama
WishfulThinking- hawgs beat dawgs- Wooooooooo. Pig. Sooie!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Key Weekend Matchups:

Game Of The Week is obviously #2 ULM v #4 UTEP
We'll need to run up the score to push #3 Syracuse below the loser of that one.
Fri #1 MTSU v #22 UTSA
Th #9 UAB v #23 So Bama
WishfulThinking- hawgs beat dawgs- Wooooooooo. Pig. Sooie!
If we turn the ball over even half as much as we did last week, running up the score will be the least of our worries.

slugboy

Staff member
If we turn the ball over even half as much as we did last week, running up the score will be the least of our worries.

If we'd cut our turnovers in half against UCF--basically 2 turnovers--that game would have been a lot closer. We're probably looking at 17 more points in that situation. I think 10-13 more points is really a safe bet, and our defense probably gets a rest in there somewhere.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If we'd cut our turnovers in half against UCF--basically 2 turnovers--that game would have been a lot closer. We're probably looking at 17 more points in that situation. I think 10-13 more points is really a safe bet, and our defense probably gets a rest in there somewhere.

That 600 yards we gave up on defense was no mirage even with the injuries. I don't know what else Coach Thacker could do. Funny thing about injuries a lot of times they come all at once and mostly on one side of the ball. In this case the defense.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
That 600 yards we gave up on defense was no mirage even with the injuries. I don't know what else Coach Thacker could do. Funny thing about injuries a lot of times they come all at once and mostly on one side of the ball. In this case the defense.

Hindsight is wonderful! I am sure that 3 man line was the DCs attempt to adjust to having fewer people to rotate, but he couldn't sub when he wanted due to UCFs hurry up and we got gassed anyway while not having a meaningful pass rush, leaving a gaping hole on each side of the NT, and not using the extra cover guy to play deep to work against the long pass. We got outplayed by a better team and IMO out schemed as well. It was disheartening to see us continue to struggle to get lined up in time (something we really never got fixed) and attempted several live ball subs which backfired. Those things did not add up to 600 yards but they did contribute. Along the way we did make several good plays and stops and I am encouraged by the improvement of the D and hopeful that the in game coaching can keep up with the player improvement.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We got outplayed but played well enough to stay with them but no one this side of Alabama is going to survive six turnovers. Thacker did what he could. This week we play a team that actually plays a 3-3-5 of sorts with lots of blitzing. They played Pitt and UNC pretty tough on defense but constant three and outs will doom any defense this day and age. Poor Devito has been sacked 14 times in two games. I wouldn't blame him if he just didn't "opt out" for the rest of the year.