Boston College 9:00 pm on Wednesday

alagold

Helluva Engineer
When I saw the score (81 pts)I knew something different /bettter had happened.Then I saw Maxwell's numbers.A VERY unusual game with Maxwell and our tiny team.nice--but I would n't count on this much going forward vs good teams.
I thought 2 yrs ago Mike might get a triple double sometime and he made a run last night. Recruit real talent (#45 in US) like that pays off.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree they are hurting us on defense compared to what we need from the position. However, compared to what we saw last night I don't agree. We were worse defensively last night than usual.

Post and Karninick average right at 17 a game together in 40 minutes shooting under 50% from the field. Against us they combined for 32 points in right at 40 minutes shooting 13 - 18 combined (72%). And it wasn't like they were doing anything much special to do it. They just had such a size advantage and we never tried to throw them off even when it was their only reliable plan on offense. And in general, BC scored nearly 10 points more than their average and their second most of any game all year. Some times that happens because a team just shoots lights out and you tip your hat and move on. That isn't what happened though. They were mostly scoring in predictable ways against a glaring weakness that we just decided to have for little reason. If we go tiny that is an effect that we can expect every game

Offensively sure, they are hurting and having another wing probably helps. But if we want to get more shooting threats on the court then we should either sit Moore, or play Mike at the point and sit Smith and Sturdivant. That makes even more sense considering we aren't really using a PG to run the show much at all.
At least they couldn’t play both of their bigs at the same time because we were too quick if both were on the court. Unfortunately most all of our ready talent is about the same size (or smaller!)

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve not been a fan of the changes NIL is bringing to college sports, but since it’s happening, I think these road win gas station trips could be ripe for some creative and attention getting NIL deals. Somebody needs to get on that.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pastner made a bet last night he could outscore BC and he won. That was all about getting his offense in gear. IMHO while Usher at the elbow (whether he was the 5 or not) did make the offense run much better than any big including Howard, he still got a huge and really unexpected boost from Maxwell playing/shooting at a level no one including him could have foreseen. He lost the battle against the BC big who scored out of his mind but won the war. Very needed win.

The question going forward is whether the same bet he made against BC will win going forward - and parsing that bet - who will it win against and who will it not. While I am OK with the going small bet against BC, I know and I expect CJP knows that it won't work against everyone. Don't have to look any further than UNC to know that if Post got 24, Bacot probably doubles that if we go small the whole game. Looking beyond that WF and Miami we can probably get away with a lot of small ball, FSU along with UNC not so much.

Pastner has a core issue that the offense overall and especially the modified princeton offense isn't working as well as it needs to without really Usher at the elbow. Moore is OK and better than Howard but not optimum in my view. So he went all in on going small and fixed his offensive issues against BC. But for UNC he has to figure out a way to continue the offensive momentum without resorting to one of his bigs at the elbow in a modified princeton set. Nothing new there and lots of folks including me have been saying that for a while.

I love the ball movement we got against BC and the tempo we played at. Usher and even Devoe are better players at tempo - and UNC will allow us to play at tempo. We just can't use our bigs as the primary facilitator in the offense - it mucks everything up. Time for a change there. IMHO the game at UNC will be in the high 70s or 80s and the only chance we have is to score at that rate. Pace and keep the ball in the hands of the guards/wings. Accept a big for D but hide him on O.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’ve not been a fan of the changes NIL is bringing to college sports, but since it’s happening, I think these road win gas station trips could be ripe for some creative and attention getting NIL deals. Somebody needs to get on that.

Bucees. That would be my vote. Go in trying to buy one thing, $50 later, leave with a brisket sandwich, 2 packs of large beef jerky, a Bucees snack mix, candy, and drinks. I love Bucees...and hate it at the same time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bucees. That would be my vote. Go in trying to buy one thing, $50 later, leave with a brisket sandwich, 2 packs of large beef jerky, a Bucees snack mix, candy, and drinks. I love Bucees...and hate it at the same time.
Das deep, techst.

But the obligatory question is, what ice cream you taking outta there?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Should be a marketing type person or position in the athletic department to hunt these NIL type of deals, or is that even allowed?

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
According to the AJC, Maxwell told Pastner at 5:30 he would not be able to play - cut on his right hand. He tried during warmups and said he could go. Played with the hand taped.

It is much easier to win when you can shoot the ball - team shot 50% for the game. Maybe it will continue.

Bob THWG
Cut hand- he really has been snakebit by injuries the last couple of years.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Should be a marketing type person or position in the athletic department to hunt these NIL type of deals, or is that even allowed?

As I understand it, the university can have nothing to do with the NIL discussions or agreements between players and entities. Anyone else hear the same or different? This is all new so not sure I understand the nuances