Boomer's Keys to the Game

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Now that I am stuck at home and need to kill some time, I am giving this some thought.

1. JT's ability to read the D and make his check downs in the passing game will prove to be key. When we find and hit the seam route, it blows the top completely off this offense. If their safeties are forced to stay honest by hitting a couple of these throws, we win. It will take them totally out of their prepared defensive plan. Well, at least the plan I anticipate them using, which will be to crowd the LOS (targeted run blitzing) and play safties shallow in an effort to stuff the inside and force the ball out of JT's hands as quickly as possible.

2. Our ability to stuff the run on defense. Some are worried about QB pressure and I am too, but, it will be our ability to put the game on their QB's shoulders that helps determine the outcome. I don't see us getting consistent pressure with 4 against their OL, so we will mox things up just enough. We are going to roll our coverage to their really good WR (name?) but the rest of our guys can cover the other side of the field ok. This fresh QB of theirs will have a tough assignment if we can force him to pass in order to move the sticks. He has the physical ability to throw, but an entire game's worth of good decisions is not probably likely.

3. Kicking game and coverage. Today, FGs and field position will have a greater impact than we are used to. In most even contests, if you take TOs out of the equation, the team with the least amount of grass in front of them when they get the ball is usually the winner.

Thoughts?
I am intentionally leaving out turnovers. It is a given.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We need to be cognizant of their screen game. They know we will bring pressure to stop the run, so I expect a chess match with some screens. We will need White and Milton to be very physical on the outside to allow our safeties to rally to the ball.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Kinda cliche, but I'd say it will come down to 75% line play (offensive and defensive) and 25% how we contain their two superstars (Fuller and Smith). If we get a good push up front on O and keep Smith from blowing up plays, we'll score some points. If our DL can clog the middle and we can keep Fuller from lighting it up, their O won't.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm seeing all indications that it is/will be a windy game. If field goals come into play will Buttkicker's leg win out? I'm counting on it!

bdsboy

Georgia Tech Fan
This will be the first game of the season that we need to give 100% for 4 quarters, and maybe play from behind. Tech needs to resurrect the spirit of 2014 and play through adversity and maintain focus.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I keep trying to figure out what to make of ND being 0 for 8 on third down against two average teams.

We will score some points. It's up to our defense to win this game.

I think it's going to be a completely different circumstance today with a 6'5, 220 lb QB. He's going to get the ball on any third and short. We'll need to be ready to stuff him.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
It's like every other game--it's the match-ups in the trenches.

Win or lose we will know 2 things after the game:
1. How good the OL line is without Shaq
2. Whether the DL can match up with a good OL.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Offense - I agree that we need to open up the middle, but I'm not convinced the passing game is the way to do it. Last year when Thomas had to pass it 15 times or more he usually, 5 out of 6 times, was under 46%, and 5 of those 6 were in the first half of the year when our offense wasn't what it would become. Thomas can hit the passes but I think it needs to be after we establish the run. To do that, and to open up the middle, I think we'll need to establish the perimeter running game early, and I think showing Marshall on the edge was at least partially aimed at getting ND to do back off the middle some, but I think we'll need to do it some early today to get them to actually do it.

Defense - stop the run and limit big plays. Force their new QB to have 10+ successful plays to score.

JacketintheBend

Georgia Tech Fan
Now that I am stuck at home and need to kill some time, I am giving this some thought.

1. JT's ability to read the D and make his check downs in the passing game will prove to be key. When we find and hit the seam route, it blows the top completely off this offense. If their safeties are forced to stay honest by hitting a couple of these throws, we win. It will take them totally out of their prepared defensive plan. Well, at least the plan I anticipate them using, which will be to crowd the LOS (targeted run blitzing) and play safties shallow in an effort to stuff the inside and force the ball out of JT's hands as quickly as possible.

2. Our ability to stuff the run on defense. Some are worried about QB pressure and I am too, but, it will be our ability to put the game on their QB's shoulders that helps determine the outcome. I don't see us getting consistent pressure with 4 against their OL, so we will mox things up just enough. We are going to roll our coverage to their really good WR (name?) but the rest of our guys can cover the other side of the field ok. This fresh QB of theirs will have a tough assignment if we can force him to pass in order to move the sticks. He has the physical ability to throw, but an entire game's worth of good decisions is not probably likely.

3. Kicking game and coverage. Today, FGs and field position will have a greater impact than we are used to. In most even contests, if you take TOs out of the equation, the team with the least amount of grass in front of them when they get the ball is usually the winner.

Thoughts?
I am intentionally leaving out turnovers. It is a given.

Local breakfast notes:
Rain gone, ~15-17 mph winds -- possibly enough to hinder ND's passing game and both FG kickers
Would not be surprised if they shadow JT w Jaylon or KeiVarae or a 3-4 variation
Defensive questions outnumber answers so far, esp given their talent level
VanGorder should pack up his Firebird if they get scorched again
Blue & Gold, Irish Illustrated and the Observer (student paper) staff predictions favor GT
Have not seen fans this deflated since Alabama 2012
(Again, imagine JT gone and M Jordan as starting QB w TaQuon and Marcus Allen at RB)
ND folks worried about DeShone's staring and long delivery. Very confident in O-line but
worry that 1st year backs won't pick up blitzes and QB goes down
4th string QB redshirt pulled off - Brandon Wimbush, true Freshman

Jackets Forty-Two, Rudys Thirty

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
If we get push from O-line and get at least two 6-8 minute death marches (one of which is first series of 3rd quarter), we win.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Stuff their run and establish the Dive and we win
I feel like stablishing the dive isn't necessary. Tulane made it a point for us to never establish the dive, and it didn't work out for them. I think if we take what the defense gives us, and we win our 1 on 1 match ups we'll do fine on O.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to do two things well today to get the win.

1. I think we need to block the edge really well, because I have a feeling that they will try to stuff the dive.
2. As always we need to get pressure on the QB, but I think it will be really important against a young QB. If we can rattle him early it might be a long day for him and he might make some mistakes.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I don't feel good if we HAVE to depend on our passing.So again its the Oline .

If we slow run,I don't think they can beat us in air.They were 0-10 on 3rd down vs Va.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I feel like stablishing the dive isn't necessary. Tulane made it a point for us to never establish the dive, and it didn't work out for them. I think if we take what the defense gives us, and we win our 1 on 1 match ups we'll do fine on O.

ND isn't tulane and the ability to get good production up the middle will be key all year just as it was last year.