Bold Season Predictions

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
1. QB:
  • Lucas Johnson will be the starter, and he could become a high NFL draft prospect, but probably not. I expect a lot of inconsistency followed by a light coming on moment mid-way through the ACC slate where hopefully he'll carry into next season with huge expectations.
  • Graham will run a wildcat+ package, and Tobias will transfer. But honestly more likely the other way around if Tobias is healthy through the summer. Graham's got the athleticism, but Tobias is special at hitting the crease at the right moment, getting north-south, and avoiding hard contact on tackles. Tobias' has the passing tools to exploit an RPO scheme and hit slants and seams regularly. It's not a fully versatile playbook, but it can be deadly in the right game situation.
  • Lantz will be the #2 QB. A walk-on, yes. He throws some pretty balls, and he was the QB whose potential was most limited by the faux sack rule in the spring game. He's got good enough feet to move the chains, enough height, and enough beef to be resilient.
  • That leaves Yates and Knight redshirting. I think Yates would be good enough to play but will end up needing to wait til an upper classman to get a shot. Fans will want him to play at times when the starter struggles. Knight will probably see the field earlier but at a different position.
2. RB:
  • Jamious Griffin is going to be special right out the gate. He'll be the starter and the guy with the ball in his hands when we need to make something happen, but will ultimately get <50% of the total RB carries with a lot of rotating bodies.
  • Kirvonte Benson will transfer. To be clear, this is all purely speculative and intentionally bold. I have no inside info. The injury recovery limits his reps too much to rise to the top, and ultimately he'll just be a guy in the mix, and I think he'll want to be a feature back somewhere and can find that spot elsewhere.
  • Jerry Howard will be under-appreciated. He's got a complete skill set, and if he works his way to consistency he'll find his role in 2-back sets and 3rd downs where he can be a threat running, blocking, and receiving. He's not going to stuff the stat sheet, but he'll be a guy a whole lot more involved in the O than we realize.
3. OL:
  • The OL will surprise a lot of folks. We'll be better than expected, but mostly utilizing our athleticism and quick release in the run game.
  • The first danger is depth. If we lose bodies, we'll be in trouble.
  • The second danger is 3rd downs. We have to hold up against rushers, and we need TEs and RBs to pick up free rushers, force wide rushers out of their lane to allow the QB to step up or scramble, and to catch the ball reliably on outlet passes.
4. WR/TE:
  • Ultimately, this group standing out will depend on all the other positions above doing their job.
  • Route running will need to be a focus. The cross-training with DBs and our aggressive coverage should help develop those skills, or at least the sense of urgency in needing to.
  • Ahmarean Brown will give defenses fits. He's more than a burner you run verticals with. Think Rondale Moore. Patenaude is going to love finding ways to get him the ball.
  • If the QBs have time and deliver the ball accurately, I'd hate to have to go up against Camp, Dolphus, Sanders, Ezzard, and an athletic TE on 3rd and medium.
5. Front 6-7:
  • We are going to blitz a lot. We will rotate bodies like mad and try to generate chaos up front and rely on the DBs to force QBs into needing money throws and hesitating long enough for the rush to affect them.
  • We'll struggle on 1st and 2nd down containing the run. It will be frustrating.
  • Thacker preaches leverage. We'll need it. If we actually do a good job on keeping folks from picking up extra yards after initial contact or busting long ones from the backfield, the defense can be mighty.
6. DBs:
  • I think this is where we'll be most frustrated with inconsistency.
  • Safety play will be better than the corners.
7. Special Teams:
  • We are keeping this area hush hush because it's going to be special in a big way.
  • We'll return at least 4 kicks/punts for TDs this season.
  • We'll get >50% TB rate. Leg strength gains and health will be apparent, and the difference here will stick out tremendously.
  • Percy Harvin will be nationally recognized. He'll be a great punter of course, but he'll get a lot more attempts and spotlight nationally.
  • We'll run at least 5 fake kicks this season. CGC has a different kind of moxie, but he has it.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Nice write up. Couple of thoughts...

James Graham has a cannon and imo gives you the best balance of run and pass. He is the #2 QB not Lantz and he may be #1 before its all said and done. However, Lantz did show a nice arm as well.

I personally do not see Tobias transferring. He is a gamer. He will find the field somehow imo.

DB inconsistency??? I think the most intriguing aspect for me is the press coverage which I love. Will we get burnt on occasion? Yes. But I will gladly take the aggressive approach instead of the 10 yard cushion. The DBs are going to be the most disruptive imo.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
QB competition in the fall will be intense.

Before spring practice, I thought JG or TO could move to WR if they didn't pan out at QB. Now WR looks like one of our deeper positions. TO played it in high school (idk about JG). Unfortunately I could see a transfer from our QB group (happens everywhere).

I can see transfers out of our RB group, too. In our old system, I could see a BB depth of KB/JM/JH/CM (can you imagine...). Now it appears we are looking for more speed out of that position, and will often have only one on the field at a time. I could see JH getting lost in that mix. Folks have sort of forgotten how good KB is. We'll see if he can come back healthy.

I wish we had this kind of depth of talent on the OL/DL. We may have one of the most athletic skill position groups in the ACC, but be hamstrung while CGC and Key develop an OL for this system.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Graham takes the job day 1. Lucas backs him up and Oliver switches positions. Yates ends the season as the starter.

bos

Helluva Engineer
1. Lucas becomes starter, graham transfers, Oliver moves to WR, Yates #2 QB.

2. Adonicas Sanders leads team in receptions and becomes all ACC WR.

3. Jamious Griffin is starter by game 3.

4. Sylvain Youndjouen leads team in sacks.

5. Chris Martin is team's best interior lineman.

6. Ahmarean Brown overtakes Thomas on kick and punt returns.

7. Jalen Camp get's drafted in the NFL

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
DB inconsistency??? I think the most intriguing aspect for me is the press coverage which I love. Will we get burnt on occasion? Yes. But I will gladly take the aggressive approach instead of the 10 yard cushion. The DBs are going to be the most disruptive imo.

Hey it's a bold predictions thread, not metered assessment thread? But getting burnt, lacking a pass rush, etc. are all part of at least looking inconsistent. But otherwise it is a position group that will need to develop more than we expect. It's not a talent thing. They're asked to do a lot, and it just takes real game experience to quit thinking out there and intuitively recognize routes and signals for which way to break, when to time things looking for the ball, etc. We'll create some chaos, I agree, but we'll see receivers getting separation much more often than I think most of us are predicting.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
First play from scrimmage is the triple option?

Ha, I would LOVE to see the "Oh $htt" look on Dabo's face if we start running 3O.

But I'm thinking hit them hard in the mouth fast. Tobias (or Graham) lines up in slot and backs up at the snap. Lucas throw lateral to Tobias. Tobias hits A. Brown for TD.

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't sleep on TE Tyler Davis.

Red zone threat, drive extender, and a young QBs best friend.

Finally we'll get to frustrate the other team like we've been frustrated for so many years.