Bold claims about our program

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No way in approximately 10 practices, and 2 of those will be in Detroit, that a "new" system could be implemented.

CPJ is aware of the criticism related to his recruiting and his system's impact to the recruiting. I am sure some of that was frustration on his part with the criticism.

Personally, I would rather him play "Mr. Nice Guy" now that he is the outgoing coach, but I don't think CPJ cares what any of us or any of the media or CGC thinks - and honestly, that personality was something I liked for the Institute (as I told TStan in my email, GT is a different place and CPJ was a different kind of dude - to me, it was a perfect match) while he was still the long term coach. BUT, I realize a lot of others on this board do not agree.

Just thought of something I had not really realized = CGC got out of Starkville just in the nick of time in 2014 (did not have to face CPJ) - and now, because he will be our head coach, he got out just in the nick of time to not have to face CPJ (if he had remained) vs. Temple next year. I gotta say, if nothing else, those were both very smart moves.

Timing is everything but especially in comedy and football.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't think that's the case. CPJ's job is head coach until the end of the season which is AFTER the bowl game. Until then, the team is his. CGC is the head coach-designee. He really shouldn't speak for the program because he is not on the payroll and hasn't assumed official duties.

He has to recruit so he has to have a voice.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Listen, I respect CPJ a lot. I don't think I twisted his words; I quoted him and gave my interpretation. Your interpretation differs and you're welcome to it.

If CPJ is coaching the bowl game he's not "retired", he's retiring. But CGC is already here. The fact that we're going to a bowl with a lame duck coach is unusual.

CGC's job, from the day he was hired until August 29th next year, is to 'convert an existing time to whatever he plans to do in the future'. If CGC were staying at Temple through their bowl game as well, I'd understand. But, as of last Friday, CGC is our head coach. In my view, this is CGC's program now and he should be leading it. CPJ shouldn't be making media appearances or speaking for the program, even if he is staying on through the bowl. Just my opinion.

He’s head coach of this year’s team until the bowl ends.

I think y’all are making way too much of this 2 voices stuff.

LibertyTurns

Banned
He’s head coach of this year’s team until the bowl ends.

I think y’all are making way too much of this 2 voices stuff.
We’ve platooned QB’s before, we have a constant rotation of AB’s, BB’s & WR’s. The OL seems to change often although that seems like it has been more to injuries than anything. Why don’t we platoon coaches?

Better idea. Collins seems to be able to recruit like a madman. Why don’t we make some title for him, have him get Gailey-like players and go on a mauling spree? Just kidding mostly. The other thread @Madison Grant mentions the fear in opposing LBs eyes when Nesbitt was bearing down on them. I actually remember them purposefully running away trying no to get hit. Hell, I swear some defensesive players actually purposefully ran themselves out of the play to avoid contact a large part of the game for fear of getting slaughtered. Those were the days.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm starting to believe this "Energize the Fanbase" statement is a bunch of BS ... mostly because I think some of our fanbase would find something to ***** about if we hired the reincarnation of Dodd-Bryant-Heisman-Lombardi etc !
Well, duh! They are old school [emoji6]

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
"Geoff Collins talked about looking forward to seeing practice, has he talked to you about it?"
"No I haven't seen him. He's more than welcome, but I think he's out recruiting."
Where is the snark? I understand that people want to find more reasons to justify their hate of the man, but this is the biggest reach I've seen. Geoff *has* been out recruiting.

you are correct there was not a snark in that one. Anybody looking for one can find it but only because they're trying to twist words and make it come up that way. I take it some people seem to have an axe to grind against Paul Johnson come hell or high water. #sad

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It seems odd that some of the casual football fans out there seem to have high expectations for our football program and especially the new hiring of CGC. I think some of these casual fans believe we will do a complete 180 more than our diehards.

Define "casual" please

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
"Geoff Collins talked about looking forward to seeing practice, has he talked to you about it?"
"No I haven't seen him. He's more than welcome, but I think he's out recruiting."
Where is the snark? I understand that people want to find more reasons to justify their hate of the man, but this is the biggest reach I've seen. Geoff *has* been out recruiting.

Sorry i am definitely not a hater of CPJ, i should have watched the video i based that “snarky” comment on another poster’s interpretation, my bad.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Didn't watch the video but a natty is not that far-fetched for GT. I believe CPJ could have won one with the right squad. All we have to do is win the ACC and we'll probably get in the playoff. Easier said than done I know, but our path is probably easier than other teams around the country since the ACC Coastal ain't exactly the best division out there right now.
Actually it is more far-fetched. And will somebody please explain to the board why, with two years of HC experience and a mediocre record at Temple, he suddenly becomes a recruiting fool? I know about those claims he made about recruiting as a GA at GT, I just don't buy them and would love for somebody in authority there then to pitch in. This time next year we will know if he is a great recruiter because he will have a track record in Georgia against Smart, Swinney, Saban and Cutcliffe. And if Brown goes into Georgia, then UNC will be in the mix. Give the guy a chance to show us because talk is cheap. Well, not with his contract, but you get the idea.

Animal02

Banned
Actually it is more far-fetched. And will somebody please explain to the board why, with two years of HC experience and a mediocre record at Temple, he suddenly becomes a recruiting fool? I know about those claims he made about recruiting as a GA at GT, I just don't buy them and would love for somebody in authority there then to pitch in. This time next year we will know if he is a great recruiter because he will have a track record in Georgia against Smart, Swinney, Saban and Cutcliffe. And if Brown goes into Georgia, then UNC will be in the mix. Give the guy a chance to show us because talk is cheap. Well, not with his contract, but you get the idea.
I remain skeptically optimistic about the hire.
But the anti CPJ and and 3O people are reacting like 12 y.o's school girls with a crush on the newest teen idol.