Bobinski Pivot

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bobinski has pivoted from appeasing pissed off GT fans http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/mike-bobinski-addresses-state-of-georgia-tech-foot/ncn2R/ to shilling for how great we'll be this year. ....http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/67940/georgia-tech-ad-paul-johnson-right-man-for-the-job --

I've seen this many times in different venues. First your abhor a condition, then you endure and finally you embrace. Bobinski went from abhorring in January to embracing in March.

He's doing his job, but it's insulting to me as a GT fan.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
This is a defining year at GT no doubt. That being said I think the team will be better than most think.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I see no contradiction between the two interviews/statements and agree with both

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, he's definitely NOT going to say CPJ is in trouble and our program is crap. That's just not going to happen until after a coach is fired.

I think his interview with Gaudin earlier in the year spoke volumes as to his expectations for our program and the potential it has. Either way, 2014 will be an interesting year with JT, Roof's 2nd year with a lot of key pieces moving on, and expectations for CPJ.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I see no contradiction between the two interviews/statements and agree with both

I agree completely AE. The words are different but the bottom line is the same.

Most of us, based on my reading of the recruiting conversations we have had here, is that we feel this class is batter then the previous classes even though rankings by recruiting services does not reflect that. The increased recruiting budget for last year paid off. Just need to do it going forward.

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan
The increased recruiting budget appeared to cut down on the last minute defections. That was the immediate impact. Going forward, I think it is going to lead to better classes, regardless of coach or scheme.

As to how we will do this upcoming year, I don't see how we can't improve. Vad had an epically bad year for a CPJ coached QB. I can't see JT falling to that same level. Had Vad stayed, I think he would have shown a ton of improvement the way Tevin improved.

I also can't see our D regressing. We were playing way down the depth chart in the secondary with no pass rush. Getting the backs healthy will balance losing Sneezy to some degree. But I expect a more balanced rush anyway. Sneezy tended to dial things back when he got held. Because of that, he got fewer holding calls because it appeared that he wouldn't have gotten to the QB even without the hold. If our rush ends can play hard the entire down, we may get a few more calls to go our way.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I liked the article and generally agree with his take on things. I don't expect a miracle season in 2014, but I expect to play well and keep the bowl streak alive. Johnson's teams have been very successful offensively over the long haul, at every level. Expecting that to change for the worse is really just ignoring the data for negativity's sake. By the same token, PJ's defenses over the years have not shared the same level of success. To ignore that is just as unwise. I remain concerned about the defense, but I am holding out hope for improvement based on the first year results of CTR and staff. I HOPE we have recruited as well as they feel like we have. I FEEL like CTR and crew have done a good job of communicating the message and organizing the troops. Overall, I look at things this way. The defense in 2013 played well enough for GT to win about 10 games. For the first time in the PJ era, the offense did not follow suit and get us those 10 wins. If we can just maintain our defensive level of play, then there is every reason to expect better results at the end of 2014.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I liked the article and generally agree with his take on things. I don't expect a miracle season in 2014, but I expect to play well and keep the bowl streak alive. Johnson's teams have been very successful offensively over the long haul, at every level. Expecting that to change for the worse is really just ignoring the data for negativity's sake. By the same token, PJ's defenses over the years have not shared the same level of success. To ignore that is just as unwise. I remain concerned about the defense, but I am holding out hope for improvement based on the first year results of CTR and staff. I HOPE we have recruited as well as they feel like we have. I FEEL like CTR and crew have done a good job of communicating the message and organizing the troops. Overall, I look at things this way. The defense in 2013 played well enough for GT to win about 10 games. For the first time in the PJ era, the offense did not follow suit and get us those 10 wins. If we can just maintain our defensive level of play, then there is every reason to expect better results at the end of 2014.
THIS^^^^ Man if we could put 2 and 2 together... Then weve got a juggernaut on our hands. If we have a top 25 overall offense along with a D like last year. Thats a dream scenario for GT. Just have been on a bad streak... My Dad thinks it has to do with CPJs attitude. Not as a human being so much, but the sideline antics and media relations make him come off as a pompous ***.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Boomergump:I like your analysis, it is very practical. The schedule favors us winning more games. The offense should have more cohesion this year, and the outcome will probably rest on the defense to make the key stops that is a mark of a good defense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
THIS^^^^ Man if we could put 2 and 2 together... Then weve got a juggernaut on our hands. If we have a top 25 overall offense along with a D like last year. Thats a dream scenario for GT. Just have been on a bad streak... My Dad thinks it has to do with CPJs attitude. Not as a human being so much, but the sideline antics and media relations make him come off as a pompous ***.

Did anyone hear Brian Gregory's interview with 790 the other morning after their big win over Syracuse? He talked about our players and the highlights of the win, but he also took that opportunity to sell GT as a program to recruits. I'd like to see CPJ leverage those opportunities to put positive on our football program and sell to recruits like CBG does with his program. Say what you want about CBG's results on the court, but from a PR standpoint, you can't ask for much better.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The increased recruiting budget appeared to cut down on the last minute defections. That was the immediate impact. Going forward, I think it is going to lead to better classes, regardless of coach or scheme.

As to how we will do this upcoming year, I don't see how we can't improve. Vad had an epically bad year for a CPJ coached QB. I can't see JT falling to that same level. Had Vad stayed, I think he would have shown a ton of improvement the way Tevin improved.

I also can't see our D regressing. We were playing way down the depth chart in the secondary with no pass rush. Getting the backs healthy will balance losing Sneezy to some degree. But I expect a more balanced rush anyway. Sneezy tended to dial things back when he got held. Because of that, he got fewer holding calls because it appeared that he wouldn't have gotten to the QB even without the hold. If our rush ends can play hard the entire down, we may get a few more calls to go our way.

I hope we don't regress, but I can very easily see how we could. For starters, the starter at QB has fewer than 100 snaps under his belt, so despite his all-world athleticism, we really don't know just how he's going to perform versus the Miamis, Clemsons, Virginia Techs, and UGAs on the schedule. That could easily be an offensive problem because, it all begins with the trigger man. And rarely do you see a first year starter who doesn't make some epically bad decisions in at least a few games that first year.

As far as defense is concerned, we had one very dominant pass rusher in Attachou and another pretty solid one in Brandon Watts and they're both gone, so until someone proves in a game time situation that they can replace those two, we really don't know how much pressure we'll be able to generate on opposing QB's without having to sell out & blitz all the time.

Again, I would love to be wrong but I think our biggest saving grace we have this year is an easy schedule.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope we don't regress, but I can very easily see how we could. For starters, the starter at QB has fewer than 100 snaps under his belt, so despite his all-world athleticism, we really don't know just how he's going to perform versus the Miamis, Clemsons, Virginia Techs, and UGAs on the schedule. That could easily be an offensive problem because, it all begins with the trigger man. And rarely do you see a first year starter who doesn't make some epically bad decisions in at least a few games that first year.

As far as defense is concerned, we had one very dominant pass rusher in Attachou and another pretty solid one in Brandon Watts and they're both gone, so until someone proves in a game time situation that they can replace those two, we really don't know how much pressure we'll be able to generate on opposing QB's without having to sell out & blitz all the time.

Again, I would love to be wrong but I think our biggest saving grace we have this year is an easy schedule.
Thankfully our schedule starts with three should wins so Justin can get a good taste of live game speed before he is really tested.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

If history is any indication, we'll end up with a 40th best team at the end of 2014.

The only unit I "know" will do well is ST. O is a question with JT having to play more than he did in 2013. At least Smelter is back. And we did lose a lot of D starters. They were starters for a reason.

But this is the time of the year to ramp up the hype and sell the season tickets. So let's get to it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If history is any indication, we'll end up with a 40th best team at the end of 2014.

The only unit I "know" will do well is ST. O is a question with JT having to play more than he did in 2013. At least Smelter is back. And we did lose a lot of D starters. They were starters for a reason.

But this is the time of the year to ramp up the hype and sell the season tickets. So let's get to it.
Every team is different from year to year and that includes our opponents, history has little bearing, imo. Small improvements can yield huge results. Lucky bounces can do the same.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If history and our past few recruiting classes is any indication, we'll end up with a 40th best team at the end of 2014.

The past is prelude.

I think we'll be a little better on offense this year, but that depends on how much the OL steps up. We've got some serious talent on the OL, but they're young.

We'll take a step back on defense due losing two high impact guys in Jeremiah and Jemea, and the very underrated Watts.

All in all, the gains we might make back in O could be negated by the step back we might experience on D.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our fate hinges on injuries (like everyone else in America) and the success of our defense. The offense will be fine IMO...the defense is the big question mark in my mind. We lost our best two players from last year on that side. If a couple players really step up we could have a fun year. If not we will likely have ups and downs.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with your thoughts on both our AD and of CPJ and his offense. If you look at VL on tape in hs and JT, I would think you would feel that JT fits much better. Vad brought hope for those people that wanted to dream about 200 yds passing and 200 yds running . I am not worried at all about the offense returning to form with JT. I also share your concerns about the defense as this team is losing several unique talents to graduation. A very fast LB that could cover in space, a rush end that produced great numbers while becoming a game changer and one of my favorite alltime db's in JT. We would not be singing CTRs praises if those three were not on his roster when he arrived. That being said, I feel he was a good choice when we hired him and even more after watching the D for a year. We read alot about the margin for error is less with GT and I feel that is very true with our D for next year. Here is for hoping that our injured return in full speed and help to lesson the load for CTR in year two of his tenure.