Bobinski on current state of the Football Program

Wrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
well after listening to it twice. I am convinced there will be changes in our future. he seems to be a guy who understands the culture outside of Tech and can see the limitations that we are currently working with.

I am even more inclined to think the erroneous tweet by Feldman was actually something that CPJ said, offhand, to a person who he thought he could trust.

I am with techster, you don't have a 4 hour long meeting with the coach to simply pat each other on the back. Also the word choices that MBob used when describing the meeting, saying things like CPJ was "engaged" and "in my opinion it was productive" seem very thoughtout and deflective.

I also noticed there was no ringing endorsement of the future of CPJ. There was nothing to the effect of "he is our coach and we are planning on him being here a while".

I think Coach Johnson knows his AD isn't on board with his philosophy and would simply like to be bought out so he could go somewhere else and keep doing what he believes in. The pressure is starting to mount on Johnson to change, and I dont' think he will.

I don't think MBob will get rid of him after signing day, but I could definitely see it after next year, unless a dramatic improvement is had.

I wonder what his conversation with Brian Gregory was like...guy might not make it past this season.

Gregory was just given an additional 1 year to his contract with some sort of raise. Doesn't look from that he won'y make it through season particularly with losing 40% of his starters for ACC play.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Techster makes some great points.

I'm like PJ in that, in my profession, I'm not the people-pleasing, networking, image-oriented guy. Sometimes I have to fake it though.

I think that's probably what MBob stressed to CPJ when he took over; fake it a little.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He's on every week with this show. Why is everyone actin as if he is no where to be found. CPJ wouldn't have made it past question three without bowing up at these guys. Bobinski is the only one I hear regularly and y'all are trashing him. He has also helped boost recruiting efforts. Give the guy a break.

He's plowing 'hard ground' and mending fences with the media. You can tell in the tone of voice from chuck and chernoff that they trust and respect him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea of the changes, but, I do know a change I would have insisted upon if I were the AD. I would tell him to turn the offense over to an offensive coordination and get on with coaching the finer things that a Head Coach must oversee. If he is spending too much time with the offense, then the rest of the areas tend to suffer. If he is trying to give equal amounts of time to all the areas, then the offense suffers without a coordinator. Since his offense is beginning to drag, then why not make him use an offensive coordinator and make PJ spend his time fixing the finer points of all areas of the game.
He was brought here to be his own OC because he practically invented the offense. You might as well fire him if you say that.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lots of people trying to spin it into the direction they desire......i.e. getting rid of CPJ

100% this. I read nothing to that effect from MBob's comments. The only thing I read is that MBob thinks PJ should scrap the passing and do what he has done for 30 years and recruited for while here at GT.

It's funny reading these interpretations.

Mack wants PJ to pass the ball more or get out.

GTRob just wants PJ fired.

and so on an so forth.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
All, as the AD said, once you start telling a HC how to run his program......YOU own it, not the HC

True.

As PJ has said, he had someone calling the plays for his first couple of games as Southern HC, then decided to take it over himself. Nobody knows the offense better than he does.
After getting gouged for 55 points in the 98 NC game, PJ spent more time with the defense in spring practice, and they wound up being very, very good the next season.
As AD, I hope Bobinski asked what can we do to help get us back to 9-10 wins a year and I hope he and PJ had a frank discussion about PJ's level of happiness/unhappiness.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
A season post mortem is hardly shocking and, in the vast majority of cases, a routine part of the on going work of an AD or any other executive. As I posted before I would not doubt there was significant discussions between the two as to the past season and where the program is heading. If this isn't the case neither CPJ or BOB are doing their jobs. To read anything else into this is, imo, mere speculation or wishful thinking.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Remember what the AD emphasized - he will not micromanage the football team - if he does he owns the team, and not Johnson. Johnson coaches the football team, not the AD. The AD is not going to hire, fire, call plays or design the offensive and defensive schemes.

I would guess, guessing, not mind reading, that most of the conversation would be about management - that is, "what do you need from me to succeed and do I have the money to meet your needs". Recruiting was upgraded within the past year. Money spent. How much more $$ can the AD give football?

An obvious need we have identified on this blog is will Johnson get a couple more exceptions to entrance requirements? There are a couple guys out there we could really really use who are on the academic fence. I would hope this was part of the discussion.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Said we were going to "hunker down". I think he needs to crawl out from under his rock. The real sports season starts in late August or early September, not when the dribbling starts.

And no respectable GT man would ever be caught dead hunkering down.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I appreciated the candor in the interview. While not super eloquent, the guy makes a lot of sense and he doesn't backpedal like an idiot when asked a tough probing question. He is a keeper. Personally, I don't think he glossed over or sugar coated anything and told it just like it was. He looks at his position just the same way I would. Make CPJ own the FB program and the results. That is how it works.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Techster makes some great points.

I'm like PJ in that, in my profession, I'm not the people-pleasing, networking, image-oriented guy. Sometimes I have to fake it though.

I think that's probably what MBob stressed to CPJ when he took over; fake it a little.
Know the feeling when I hear a case....somebody is happy and some are not.PJ is a competitor and we all know his attitude on sidelines so maybe AD told him to chill out but ....four hours is sispect to me...more on this soon I bet.

Animal02

Banned
Know the feeling when I hear a case....somebody is happy and some are not.PJ is a competitor and we all know his attitude on sidelines so maybe AD told him to chill out but ....four hours is sispect to me...more on this soon I bet.

I can easily see 4 hours chewed up on things that the AD would and should have impact on........national recruiting, coordinating marketing with other sports, PR appearances during the off season, scheduling, etc. etc.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I could see the four hours spent on how do we get certain players into Tech. I think for whatever reason, Tech has handcuffed a lot of Tech coaches over the years. We loosened O'Leary and he beat the dwags, We loosened CCG and he signed the great class of '07, we just need to loosen all restraints on recruiting to a certain extent.