Bobinski interview with Brandon....

Animal02

Banned
I think he nailed and summarized our problems with our football program in his one statement about the Music City Bowl when he said he and Coach Johnson were not satisfied with the effort (WTE). With a bit better effort we all would have been pleased with the outcome. I think this is the area where we are consistently coming up short under Gailey and Johnson. Our players collectively do not consistently play with great effort. I know Johnson even uses that measure to grade player performance. An effort under his grading system equals you did not execute the play in the way we needed it executed to be successful.

There is something that is not clicking between Coach Johnson and the players. He is the embodiment of a tough demanding physical head coach but for some reason he has not been able to infuse that trait throughout the program. I would look at the entire support staff and make whatever changes are necessary to rid the program of whomever in enabling the team to have so many players satisfied with just playing the game. Winning needs to be the standard.

One thing I would strongly recommend is moving out anyone that has been here since the Gailey administration. I think the problem goes back that far. We just have not been a mentally tough and consistently physically tough football team since O'Leary left.

Go Jackets!

Sounds like the same problems with the Detroit Lions. :eek:

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think he nailed and summarized our problems with our football program in his one statement about the Music City Bowl when he said he and Coach Johnson were not satisfied with the effort (WTE). With a bit better effort we all would have been pleased with the outcome. I think this is the area where we are consistently coming up short under Gailey and Johnson. Our players collectively do not consistently play with great effort. I know Johnson even uses that measure to grade player performance. An effort under his grading system equals you did not execute the play in the way we needed it executed to be successful.

There is something that is not clicking between Coach Johnson and the players. He is the embodiment of a tough demanding physical head coach but for some reason he has not been able to infuse that trait throughout the program. I would look at the entire support staff and make whatever changes are necessary to rid the program of whomever in enabling the team to have so many players satisfied with just playing the game. Winning needs to be the standard.

One thing I would strongly recommend is moving out anyone that has been here since the Gailey administration. I think the problem goes back that far. We just have not been a mentally tough and consistently physically tough football team since O'Leary left.

Go Jackets!
Not trying to analyze anybody but the crack I see on this team has to do with playing time...I cannot believe Bostic making a tweet like that with another year to go at tech ..now i get jVad leaving since a round peg in a square ped situation exists but like you I see no FIRE in our play.I cant put finger on it but its clear when JN was a senior we went through the same thing and even PJ said he didnt know what it was..........Yep like him or not you hit folks if you played with GOL...I am afraid something is not good in tech locker room but hey,when you dont get playing time folks are always unhappy.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to compromise our academics, either, but not from a devaluation of my degree perspective. There's plenty of factories with highly regarded academic reputations to point to. To me, it's a matter of integrity and pride and a matter of completely selling out the idea of student-athlete. Sure, we already sold out a long time ago to some degree as most of our guys wouldn't be accepted w/o football. I just don't want to completely do it like most of the rest already have.
Understand your point my friend since you have a tech degree but for the dumb butts like me that have been sideline or sidewalk fans for over sixty years WE want Wins and dont worry about the degree.I got mine from Augusta College years ago and played ball and of course then BB players ruled the roost and got taken care of but I didnt care for I knew what I had done to get my degree...If you are a grad of Tech I see your point yet unless we get players that can pass we will always be playing on a un even field ...just my opinion since I know a Tech degree is a most prized possession.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Agree dont know what it is........but we should have been sky high to play and beat a SEC team that was not all that bad and we just played bad period.Off course when smoke dies down some will say we were seven and five and went to a bowl...yep we did that but we ended up seven and six,the qb leaves and we lose another game to Georige....I think AD is not going to give PJ a long leash but PJ is probably safe for awhile.Cant let Roof go to cool his jets and maybe he lets Sewak go yet that is doubtful.We just dont show any fire at times.....

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
My expectations from following Tech football. I started when Dodd became Head Coach. We were in the top-ten most years, won 31 games straight without a loss, and beat UGA 8 years in a row (at one time, we had the won-lost lead over UGA). Tech was A perennial winner in the bowls and led the nation in percentage of bowls won, followed closely by Penn State. Yes, Dodd had a few mediocre years, but would change his offense to suit his material and bring Tech back to its standard in the following years. I am definitely a poor loser, I do not like losing.

During that era, the stadium would be sell-outs and a good proportion of fans in attendance were the ones now called "Sidewalk Fans. Many of them are like me, except those who have already deceased, they do not like losing and are not accustomed to losing. Since the first three coaches (Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd) were all winners and Tech was one of the schools to set the standard for winning, we cannot take losing easily.

Most of us did not go to College, and most of us had a hard time making a living in those days. Money was not as free as it is today. So, most of my kind will not waste the little money we have to attend the games to watch Tech lose. Therefore, you will find a good portion of us still living (some of us have been fans longer than some of you have been living) who are quite upset at the losing ways of Tech. Therefore, don't expect the sidewalk fans, and some of the alumni to attend games where the performance of the team is unnacceptable.

I placed this here, because some of the other posters were stating their reasons for not expecting too much because there school years were not very successful school years for the football team.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, Dodd had a few mediocre years, but would change his offense to suit his material and bring Tech back to its standard in the following years.

I'll just jump in here to say that IMHO we are making too much out of this notion of "changing our offense to suit the material". The fact is that our "material" has been recruited over several years to fit a particular style of offense. Not every recruit has fit the system just right, but that happens everywhere...and everywhere you have potential players sitting and others transferring.

Last year we were deep at the QB position, with more quality depth on the way. Why try to remake the team entirely around one player when other players are possibly even more suited to play the same position? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it? Yet CPJ gave it an honest shot by introducing several formations and giving Vad an early look-see in those formations. But change our offense? To what, specifically? And why, specifically?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll just jump in here to say that IMHO we are making too much out of this notion of "changing our offense to suit the material". The fact is that our "material" has been recruited over several years to fit a particular style of offense. Not every recruit has fit the system just right, but that happens everywhere...and everywhere you have potential players sitting and others transferring.

Last year we were deep at the QB position, with more quality depth on the way. Why try to remake the team entirely around one player when other players are possibly even more suited to play the same position? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it? Yet CPJ gave it an honest shot by introducing several formations and giving Vad an early look-see in those formations. But change our offense? To what, specifically? And why, specifically?
Thanks for this. +1

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Reply to Essobee: I am not stating that we should change our entire system to suit one player. I really didn't care if Vad was the quarterback or not. I told my son that I wished PJ would put in some of the other QBs when Vad was not performing effectively. So, you are way off base to think I am wanting a coach to change an offense or defense for one player. My insistence is that we should not always play the same offense or the same defense if it is not working. The smart coach changes his offense and defense to match the talents of his material.

The coach who continues to work with the same system and does not adapt to his total material is not going to be as efficient as the coach who changes his system to better fit the talents of his players.

The B-Backs we have used lately are not as strong, nor effective as the B-Backs we had for the first few years. Actually, the most effective B-Back I saw consistently this year was Laskey. This is just another example in conjunction with the QB. Sims appeared to have the speed to break runs, but not the strength to get through the initial tackles, so his talent should have been used in a different manner.

I will now go to the defense. We say that we did not have the type of beasts we needed on the defensive line. Fine, use more defensive linemen on the line to make up for the deficiency in the strength of a few. If the rushers cannot get to the quarterback for sacks, then play the receivers closer. Give them more room to get behind the receiver, but keep them from completing the short ones. This will also allow the rushers more time to get to the quarterback. Even if a receiver gets behind the defensive back and scores, at least the opposition has scored in a short amount of time rather than eating up the clock on long drives and then expecting our offense to score on limited time.

I am saying that you cannot play the same offense and defense each year, you must adjust your systems to the talent on hand. If all the opponents Qb has to do is throw a quick short pass for a first down and also eat up the clock, the rushers will never get to him. Seal off the short passes so the QB has to take longer to find the open receivers further down the field. This gives the rush a better chance of getting to the QB. Also, long passes are not as accurate as the short passes that eat up the clock on 3rd and long.

If I have a great rusher who can't block well, I will not sit him on the bench and make him useless. If I have a great receiver who cannot block, I will not sit him on the bench and make him useless. All of these examples may not be deficiencies on our team, but are used to back up the view that each year brings a different set of athletes with different talents. Yes, the team can definitely be modified to use those talents more effectively than trying to force a player without a given talent to try and make him fit the mold.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Reply to Essobee: I am not stating that we should change our entire system to suit one player. I really didn't care if Vad was the quarterback or not. I told my son that I wished PJ would put in some of the other QBs when Vad was not performing effectively. So, you are way off base to think I am wanting a coach to change an offense or defense for one player. My insistence is that we should not always play the same offense or the same defense if it is not working. The smart coach changes his offense and defense to match the talents of his material.

The coach who continues to work with the same system and does not adapt to his total material is not going to be as efficient as the coach who changes his system to better fit the talents of his players.

The B-Backs we have used lately are not as strong, nor effective as the B-Backs we had for the first few years. Actually, the most effective B-Back I saw consistently this year was Laskey. This is just another example in conjunction with the QB. Sims appeared to have the speed to break runs, but not the strength to get through the initial tackles, so his talent should have been used in a different manner.

I will now go to the defense. We say that we did not have the type of beasts we needed on the defensive line. Fine, use more defensive linemen on the line to make up for the deficiency in the strength of a few. If the rushers cannot get to the quarterback for sacks, then play the receivers closer. Give them more room to get behind the receiver, but keep them from completing the short ones. This will also allow the rushers more time to get to the quarterback. Even if a receiver gets behind the defensive back and scores, at least the opposition has scored in a short amount of time rather than eating up the clock on long drives and then expecting our offense to score on limited time.

I am saying that you cannot play the same offense and defense each year, you must adjust your systems to the talent on hand. If all the opponents Qb has to do is throw a quick short pass for a first down and also eat up the clock, the rushers will never get to him. Seal off the short passes so the QB has to take longer to find the open receivers further down the field. This gives the rush a better chance of getting to the QB. Also, long passes are not as accurate as the short passes that eat up the clock on 3rd and long.

If I have a great rusher who can't block well, I will not sit him on the bench and make him useless. If I have a great receiver who cannot block, I will not sit him on the bench and make him useless. All of these examples may not be deficiencies on our team, but are used to back up the view that each year brings a different set of athletes with different talents. Yes, the team can definitely be modified to use those talents more effectively than trying to force a player without a given talent to try and make him fit the mold.

Rodney: Thanks for expanding on your previous post and I apologize for sidetracking the thread. I don't know that are in disagreement...it does not appear that we are, except perhaps the bit about blocking...but that is just me (I consider blocking and tackling as fundamental, whether you are a starter, sub, or on special teams.) Still, I can think of exceptions...like when Dodd put in a receiver who had glue hands and ran a great route over the middle, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat...even though said receiver could do little else and was strictly a role player.

I was thinking primarily about one position (QB) that has generated most of the attention lately. Again, my apology to everyone for sidetracking. :oops:

Boomergump: Thank you. :)

Last edited:

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Essobee: Thanks, since I used the phrase often about a square peg in a round hole when talking about Vad Lee's experience, I can easily see that some would think I was wanting PJ to change the whole system for one player. Since he was promised by Johnson that the system would progress toward a more open game with a good amount of passing, I did use Vad Lee's example quite often.

I am sure many times we have multiple thoughts in our minds, yet we may only express one item in a post. I know I ramble a lot, but I need to be more specific at times.