Bobinski interview with Brandon....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to compromise our academics, either, but not from a devaluation of my degree perspective. There's plenty of factories with highly regarded academic reputations to point to. To me, it's a matter of integrity and pride and a matter of completely selling out the idea of student-athlete. Sure, we already sold out a long time ago to some degree as most of our guys wouldn't be accepted w/o football. I just don't want to completely do it like most of the rest already have.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
I loved everything about this interview. It reminds me of the Arthur Blank interview when he questioned the toughness of the OL and DL. Next week, he signs Mike Tice and Bryan Cox. I like when "leaders" express their expectations to public. It provides some accountability as we embark on our future direction.

Interesting comments:
1. He keeps making reference to a 4-hr meeting. This seems like a response to private complaints or perceptions (probably from the big $$$) of him not taking a proactive approach with football and CPJ. Not a good sign for CPJ. Not because of the meeting, that is normal, but because Bob feels the need to publicize it multiple times (680 and this interview).

2. 6-7 wins is not acceptable. Nothing else to say here. When you make those statements, you give the media chum in the event we only win 7 games next year. More pressure to win on CPJ.

3. Bball views. Acknowledges the injuries but states the expectation for postseason play. The vagueness means that NIT is ok.

4. Good job by Gaudin. Tough questions out of the gate. Obviously, there was prep, but I love how they dived right in to the deep end of the pool.

5. Interesting 12 months on the Flats. Time for the new guy to put his imprint on the program.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
[dressedcheeseside, post: 27145, member: 77"]I don't want to compromise our academics, either, but not from a devaluation of my degree perspective. There's plenty of factories with highly regarded academic reputations to point to. To me, it's a matter of integrity and pride and a matter of completely selling out the idea of student-athlete. Sure, we already sold out a long time ago to some degree as most of our guys wouldn't be accepted w/o football. I just don't want to completely do it like most of the rest already have.[/quote]

Completely agree.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
What I got is the CPJ will get the proverbial rope to either hang himself or pull himself up from.
I'm glad this wasn't a sugar coated interview and Brandon wasn't afraid to address some tough issues.
I like he stated how much potential the football program has that has not been tapped.

Feel certain the questions were agreed upon in advance.

Animal02

Banned
Perhaps folks say they aren't happy with 6-7 wins, but I have run across MANY who refuse to make any changes in the academic requirements of the Institute, and concede that if that translates into 6-7 wins, they would rather have that than be an SEC type program they are not proud of.

The reality is that there are lots of people like that because there are lots of students / graduates that are not that vested in Tech sports.

NB-I am exaggerating both sides of the argument to make the point....some folks have argued their degrees would be devalued if GT relaxed requirements for athletics

I haven't seen many argue allowing a few athletes to be admitted under relaxed requirements would devalue their degrees. I have seen (and am one of them) that would argue watering down the degrees / expanding degree offerings would devalue a Tech degree. I think there are areas that could be expanded......i.e. sports management within the management programs, sports biology etc under the science programs......just don't want to see teaching degrees, art history, "general studies", etc.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I have seen (and am one of them) that would argue watering down the degrees / expanding degree offerings would devalue a Tech degree. I think there are areas that could be expanded......i.e. sports management within the management programs, sports biology etc under the science programs......just don't want to see teaching degrees, art history, "general studies", etc.

Given the success of public education in Georgia, as demonstrated by SAT scores (woohoo we are number #44), perhaps we should take this as an opportunity to help the State by training teachers the right way as opposed to what is being taught at that other school.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Came across as leveled headed - as would be expected.
Smart to comment that decisions won't be off of emotion / short term, but will be for the long term success. I.e. not a snap change just because.

Mildly surprised about the VL comment (he wasn't surprised), but did have the spin to make it a positive - at least as positive as it can be

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think MBob's reference to the influencers around Vad was telling. I suspect that Vad heard from, got grief from, the guys (coaches?) at the QB camp about CPJ' offense versus the kind of QB Vad wants to be.

I think we get a pretty complete picture of the situation from this interview and Vad's interview. When you don't trust that the HC is going to do what is best for you and the team, it's tough to take his coaching and correcting.

Those who look at the statistical efficiency of our offense for four of the five previous years and so buy into the offense and CPJ's scheme will see this as evidence that Vad is making a decision which is good for both him and GT. Those who don't like CPJ and his offense will see it as a good move for Vad and evidence for CPJ being too stubborn.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I loved everything about this interview. It reminds me of the Arthur Blank interview when he questioned the toughness of the OL and DL. Next week, he signs Mike Tice and Bryan Cox. I like when "leaders" express their expectations to public. It provides some accountability as we embark on our future direction.

Interesting comments:
1. He keeps making reference to a 4-hr meeting. This seems like a response to private complaints or perceptions (probably from the big $$$) of him not taking a proactive approach with football and CPJ. Not a good sign for CPJ. Not because of the meeting, that is normal, but because Bob feels the need to publicize it multiple times (680 and this interview).

2. 6-7 wins is not acceptable. Nothing else to say here. When you make those statements, you give the media chum in the event we only win 7 games next year. More pressure to win on CPJ.

3. Bball views. Acknowledges the injuries but states the expectation for postseason play. The vagueness means that NIT is ok.

4. Good job by Gaudin. Tough questions out of the gate. Obviously, there was prep, but I love how they dived right in to the deep end of the pool.

5. Interesting 12 months on the Flats. Time for the new guy to put his imprint on the program.

Given the interview, I think it's safe to rest any talk that as long as CPJ is winning 7 games he's safe because his graduation/APR bonus is higher than some of his on the field bonuses.

I love that Bobinski thinks that there's no reason why our football team can't be successful on the field as well as off the field. He's setting the bar high in every aspect of our athletics programs. You know when the AD wants our athletics program to meet the Institute's academic reputation, he's not exactly settling for just being in the game.

Makes me curious as to what the rumored changes will be after NSD.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Given the interview, I think it's safe to rest any talk that as long as CPJ is winning 7 games he's safe because his graduation/APR bonus is higher than some of his on the field bonuses.

I love that Bobinski thinks that there's no reason why our football team can't be successful on the field as well as off the field. He's setting the bar high in every aspect of our athletics programs. You know when the AD wants our athletics program to meet the Institute's academic reputation, he's not exactly settling for just being in the game.

Makes me curious as to what the rumored changes will be after NSD.
Your right wrt MBob but not so wrt to the president who happens to be MBob's boss.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Your right wrt MBob but not so wrt to the president who happens to be MBob's boss.

You can believe that the President will ultimately do the hiring or firing, but people who understand big time college athletics understand who actually makes the decisions, and it's not even Bobinski. It's the big time donors and the fans who don't show up on game days to fill the stadium.

It's the same thing that happened with Gailey, happened with Bill Lewis, and happened with Paul Hewitt. I don't understand why GT fans ignore history.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems Bobinski laid all topics on the table according to the AJC. If so, this is good. From the article on the AJC, and reading between the lines, my guess is the question of PJ coaching this year has been settled, but there will be some changes to the team, hopefully all in a positive direction.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
You actually know people who are saying we should be happy with 6-7 wins?

This is a touchy subject, I won't make any assumptions here.

I actually do know a Tech fan for whom 6-7 wins is fine. He went to Tech during the Lewis years, so that is his baseline. To him, any non-losing season is cause for celebration. He was against firing Gailey because he didn't have a losing season. I think he would also be fine with keeping Johnson at his current level of success.

As for the Bobinski interview, it was the same old story. "Stay calm. Don't panic. It'll be alright."

Animal02

Banned
I actually do know a Tech fan for whom 6-7 wins is fine. He went to Tech during the Lewis years, so that is his baseline. To him, any non-losing season is cause for celebration. He was against firing Gailey because he didn't have a losing season. I think he would also be fine with keeping Johnson at his current level of success.

As for the Bobinski interview, it was the same old story. "Stay calm. Don't panic. It'll be alright."

I am other that feels and winning season is a good season. (Record when I was at Tech was 7-5, 4-6-1, 1-9-1, 1-10, 6-5.......and we never beat UGA. I was on the fence with Gailey as well since he had winning seasons......it was more his apparent ambivalence that irked me......it seemed like it was just a job to him.....no passion.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
You actually know people who are saying we should be happy with 6-7 wins?

This is a touchy subject, I won't make any assumptions here.
Hey David Blaine said almost the same thing............Didnt like it then and dont like it now.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
This almost verbatim what I posted not too long ago when the whole Feldman thing broke.
If you read the AJC story on this and of course read between the lines..sounds like both PJ and Bo took the program apart..About time I guess but it remains to be seen what improvments we can get from the AD folks that PJ wants.One thing sticks out..the AD is not afraid to take folks on and improve the program.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he nailed and summarized our problems with our football program in his one statement about the Music City Bowl when he said he and Coach Johnson were not satisfied with the effort (WTE). With a bit better effort we all would have been pleased with the outcome. I think this is the area where we are consistently coming up short under Gailey and Johnson. Our players collectively do not consistently play with great effort. I know Johnson even uses that measure to grade player performance. An effort under his grading system equals you did not execute the play in the way we needed it executed to be successful.

There is something that is not clicking between Coach Johnson and the players. He is the embodiment of a tough demanding physical head coach but for some reason he has not been able to infuse that trait throughout the program. I would look at the entire support staff and make whatever changes are necessary to rid the program of whomever in enabling the team to have so many players satisfied with just playing the game. Winning needs to be the standard.

One thing I would strongly recommend is moving out anyone that has been here since the Gailey administration. I think the problem goes back that far. We just have not been a mentally tough and consistently physically tough football team since O'Leary left.

Go Jackets!