Bobinski interview with Brandon....

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Thanks. Interesting interview.

Anyone have any thoughts on Mike's comments on either side of the proverbial fence?

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
3 thoughts:
1.) Obviously people in AA read this site and other GT boards bc there has been tons of whining about not hearing from AD
2.) It's never a good sign when your AD has to come out and answer these types of questions. Next year is make or break for PJ
3.) Interesting take on Vad transfer that it did NOT surprise him. Folks get ready for a lot of triple option football again.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think the CPJ conversation was a lot like a year end review with any boss. They probably exchanged ideas on how to make the program better, as well as resource allocation, and personel changes. I think MB is going to see how many positives come out of next season before CPJ gets on the true hot seat.

Ben Jones

Georgia Tech Fan
3 thoughts:
1.) Obviously people in AA read this site and other GT boards bc there has been tons of whining about not hearing from AD
2.) It's never a good sign when your AD has to come out and answer these types of questions. Next year is make or break for PJ
3.) Interesting take on Vad transfer that it did NOT surprise him. Folks get ready for a lot of triple option football again.

My thoughts exactly bdbuzz! People would like mbob if his was more vocal and accessible to the fans.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I kind of wish that Mike and Paul would have had this discussion during the first few weeks on the job. Well, not specifically with Paul but with all the coaches at GT.

It sounded like both of them just laid everything out on the table and they at least have a better understanding of each other now. Or at least Mike has a better understanding of Paul's philosophies as a head coach because I don't think Mike had to remind Paul that the fans have been unhappy with the results the last few years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think it's interesting that Gaudin verbalized "6-7" wins and that given GT's environment some people think we should be happy with that. Bobinski was pretty vocal about it not being acceptable. Bobinski also commented several times about improving the program as it is, getting better results than we have. He wants our athletic programs to match our academic success as an Insitution.

My view on their meeting is Bobinski made it known what his expectations of the program are, and CPJ made it known what he needed from the Ath. Dept. to reach those expectations. I believe Bobinski will try his best to provide CPJ with want the staff needs, but in return he's going to expect better results. How CPJ gets those results (running a "triple option" offense, recruiting philosophy, etc.) doesn't matter as much to him as it means to the fans, but at the end of the day he'll want better results. I also believe Bobinski is going to give CPJ more time to get there than some fans want to give CPJ.

Fair enough. The main thing I got from the interview is that Bobinski believes GT football should do better, and can do better. I really think Bobinski wants to improve the flagship program regardless of who the coach is. As a GT fan, I was very happy with that interview and his vision of our program.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I think it's interesting that Gaudin verbalized "6-7" wins and that given GT's environment some people think we should be happy with that.
You actually know people who are saying we should be happy with 6-7 wins?

This is a touchy subject, I won't make any assumptions here.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think it's interesting that Gaudin verbalized "6-7" wins and that given GT's environment some people think we should be happy with that. Bobinski was pretty vocal about it not being acceptable. Bobinski also commented several times about improving the program as it is, getting better results than we have. He wants our athletic programs to match our academic success as an Insitution.

My view on their meeting is Bobinski made it known what his expectations of the program are, and CPJ made it known what he needed from the Ath. Dept. to reach those expectations. I believe Bobinski will try his best to provide CPJ with want the staff needs, but in return he's going to expect better results. How CPJ gets those results (running a "triple option" offense, recruiting philosophy, etc.) doesn't matter as much to him as it means to the fans, but at the end of the day he'll want better results. I also believe Bobinski is going to give CPJ more time to get there than some fans want to give CPJ.

Fair enough. The main thing I got from the interview is that Bobinski believes GT football should do better, and can do better. I really think Bobinski wants to improve the flagship program regardless of who the coach is. As a GT fan, I was very happy with that interview and his vision of our program.

This almost verbatim what I posted not too long ago when the whole Feldman thing broke.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I liked the interview too. One of my favorite comments he made was in regards to not making decisions driven by emotion. Emotion is great, along with passion etc, but you need a level head to make the proper decisions when it comes to running a program or an athletic department.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You actually know people who are saying we should be happy with 6-7 wins?

This is a touchy subject, I won't make any assumptions here.

I was just reiterating what Gaudin said. He said that given GT's environment (I assume our academic hurdles) some people think that 6-7 wins is acceptable. I'm just paraphrasing. It's at the beginning of the interview.

I hope no one is happy with 6-7 wins that's a GT fan. If they are, they better not verbalize it or else a lynch mob will be after them!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
3 thoughts:

Sounds like Vad had a lot of external influences pushing him out of GT.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I was just reiterating what Gaudin said. He said that given GT's environment (I assume our academic hurdles) some people think that 6-7 wins is acceptable. I'm just paraphrasing. It's at the beginning of the interview.

I hope no one is happy with 6-7 wins that's a GT fan. If they are, they better not verbalize it or else a lynch mob will be after them!
I gotcha, the "some people" was referencing the media and not the fans.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps folks say they aren't happy with 6-7 wins, but I have run across MANY who refuse to make any changes in the academic requirements of the Institute, and concede that if that translates into 6-7 wins, they would rather have that than be an SEC type program they are not proud of.

NB-I am exaggerating both sides of the argument to make the point....some folks have argued their degrees would be devalued if GT relaxed requirements for athletics

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps folks say they aren't happy with 6-7 wins, but I have run across MANY who refuse to make any changes in the academic requirements of the Institute, and concede that if that translates into 6-7 wins, they would rather have that than be an SEC type program they are not proud of.

NB-I am exaggerating both sides of the argument to make the point....some folks have argued their degrees would be devalued if GT relaxed requirements for athletics

A lot of those folks are descended from people that claimed the earth was flat.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
What I got is the CPJ will get the proverbial rope to either hang himself or pull himself up from.
I'm glad this wasn't a sugar coated interview and Brandon wasn't afraid to address some tough issues.
I like he stated how much potential the football program has that has not been tapped.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

The Earth is flat then.