Bobinski and the GTAA

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I was a 30 year A-T contributor. The key word is "was."

In the 1980's, I was very involved with the GTAA. Homer Rice knew how to keep contributors involved within NCAA rules, and knew that involvement went hand in hand with contributions. Our subsequent AD's have not been so wise.

Through contacts I made, I used to have inside word on what was happening, which was important in the per-internet days. Unfortunately, my contacts have passed away.

I had a question in late 2013. I wrote Bobinski a letter, making the point that I was a 30 year A-T contributor that had never asked for anything before, but I asked him to consider my letter.

His response?

Crickets.

I work hard in my business to keep clients satisfied. No one mails us annual donation checks. It is amazing that our AD cannot take the time to respond to a 30 year contributor.

I made no donation in 2014 or 2015, and when the GTAA fiscal year ended in July 2015, I became a zero year contributor. If the AD can't take time to respond to my letter, I can't take time to write a check.

The AD is the most important person at the GTAA. By far. Bobinski has not made a significant hire or significant decision since he has been here. He seems like a caretaker, at best. I am not sure we have the right guy.

He is no Homer Rice, that's for sure. I hope another Kim King and Homer Rice combination come along, but I am not holding my breath for it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MBob's questionable ability to develop & nurture donor relationships and handle business affairs are easily judged by the continued status of BG as our hoops coach.

With the prerequisite belief BG is a good person & good rep for GT, MBob botched BG's extension in resetting the buyout (poor business judgment) and couldn't raise enough incremental funds for the exorbitant combined buyout of BG & Hewitt (amount not entirely his fault, but exhibits an inability to cultivate new & existing donor relationships).

I've chosen to continue my donations, but now they go entirely to a memorial scholarship in a friend's name supporting baseball, volleyball, & swimming. In doing so, I made it a point to let the GTAA know that I decided this route because I want to remain supportive, but I have no faith in MBob as a steward of my capital.