Bobby Dodd sold out.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
They do use white, but I'm pretty sure I have never seen any gold
It was only a stripe on the helmet.

Legend has it that the original official colors were white, gold, red and black due to GT and UGAg. The gold stripe disappeared in 1970.

0ap2000000214779_video_cp.jpg

Reproduction helmet
Falconobis.jpg

It was only a stripe on the helmet.

Legend has it that the original official colors were white, gold, red and black due to GT and UGAg. The gold stripe disappeared in 1970.

0ap2000000214779_video_cp.jpg

Reproduction helmet
Falconobis.jpg
It's more than legend. I was in school when the team was established, and those were announced as the official colors, honoring each of the Georgia schools. Obviously, that didn't last long at all.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen the argument made several different places that MLS is "overtaking" MLB and the NBA due to average game attendance numbers. I don't think that's fair, bc Atl United (btw, i also think it's stupid that more than one city has the same team name, but I chalk that up to the commie "sharing" nature of soccer) plays 17-18 home games this year. That means a fan only has 18 chances to see its team over a season. I'll be impressed when they average 40-50 thousand plus while playing a 41-81 home game schedule. Right now, the only team they're outdrawing is the Jackets, and that worries me....

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I've seen the argument made several different places that MLS is "overtaking" MLB and the NBA due to average game attendance numbers. I don't think that's fair, bc Atl United (btw, i also think it's stupid that more than one city has the same team name, but I chalk that up to the commie "sharing" nature of soccer) plays 17-18 home games this year. That means a fan only has 18 chances to see its team over a season. I'll be impressed when they average 40-50 thousand plus while playing a 41-81 home game schedule. Right now, the only team they're outdrawing is the Jackets, and that worries me....

The number of games is definitely a fair point. That said, I don't think anyone here is arguing that MLS has overtaken MLB or NBA, just pointing out that MLS attendance numbers are increasingly competitive in the US sports landscape as shown by comparing those averages. TV ratings for MLS are still way behind. Also, if your bar for being impressed with Atlanta United's attendance is 40-50k per game over 41-81 home game schedules, that is quite a bar (and ultimately unprovable). The Hawks only average 17k over 41 games and the Braves 25k over 81 games. Not sure how Atlanta United is not outdrawing them so far, given that they have sold out both games and have averaged 50k. I am sure that will drop, but I do expect it to remain competitive. (FWIW, the Seattle Sounders have averaged in the mid-40 thousands in attendance for years. Also, most MLS stadiums are smaller than 30k, which is common for international soccer stadiums, so most teams could never average that much.)

As for team names, the team name is not "United FC." It is "Atlanta United FC." While generic, there is only one of those. In contrast, good thing there is only 1 "Bulldogs" in college football (there are 15), or "Eagles" (also 15), or "Tigers" (there are 12), or "Wildcats" (9), etc. Lol. ;)

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
Right now, the only team they're outdrawing is the Jackets, and that worries me....

If you want to make this your argument then at this point it will take an act of God for Atlanta United to not outdraw the Falcons.

They're already over 100,000 in attendance and just the 30,000 season ticket holders for 15 more home games would put them over 550k.

The Falcons selling out 8 home games would max out at 568k.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
If you want to make this your argument then at this point it will take an act of God for Atlanta United to not outdraw the Falcons.

They're already over 100,000 in attendance and just the 30,000 season ticket holders for 15 more home games would put them over 550k.

The Falcons selling out 8 home games would max out at 568k.

We only play 6 or 7 games a year and can't sell out.. ATL UTD plays over double that and outdraws us. That's the problem.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
17 or 18 ? home games for 350.00 w zero GTAA contribution. That's like getting GT football season tickets for 120.00. I just spent 6k for 6 tickets to 7 games. If FB tickets were anything like soccer ticket prices they would have to expand seating...

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Just curious......are ticket prices the same? I had the impression the soccer prices were much cheaper than GT pricing...

The soccer tickets are slightly cheaper for the same seats, but not dramatically. Looking at ticketmaster right now, the cheapest ticket for the next game in the upper north is $35. Tech regularly sells season tickets in the $200s in the upper north (i.e., around $40 per game).

More than that, for virtually all games but the big ones (non-FSU, Clem, UGA), StubHub regularly has lots of tickets for around $20 that go unsold. The problem for Tech attendance is unfortunately not ticket pricing. As a Tech season ticket holder of 10+ seasons, that is not something I find joy in. Just the truth. It is easy to get cheap Tech tickets for most games for those that want to go.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
"Season" tickets for soccer are less per game than GT Football Season tickets. Its not close. We are not talking about finding a ticket on stub hub when you decide to attend a game or 2 a year. The "sideline" tics that require GATT donations are more expensive than the soccer tickets without the contribution per seat. Different fan base w one choice. Im glad all those folks are showing up, maybe they will actually update the locker rooms. Nothing has been done yet except make some of the players move stuff out of their lockers to make room for the soccer players. I would like someone to promote the football games. If they are not sold out, the ticket prices are to high. Promote the games or convert the entire north section to club level seating with really nice suites maybe a bar and restaurant and put the students where they belong, behind the visitors bench. From my point of view, being a new GT supporter. GT's stadium is one of the best places to watch a game. Your closer to the field than any other stadium we play at. Its is also the dumbest seat allocation of any team in the country. Club seats always half full, facing the main TV cameras... When the stadium is sold out, it looks half empty on TV. Perception is reality. Either promote games or change the seating.