Blocking schemes

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd love to read a good explanation of our OL blocking schemes vs the zone blocking schemes used by many spread teams. Our scheme appears much more complicated vs the zone blocking many teams use, and I think might help explain some of the difficulties of mastering our offense. Anyone with good knowledge willing to take a stab?

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I know cutting is a big part of blocking in an option offense. The Tennessee fans are nervous about going against an option offense in GT to start 2017 they're scared the defensive line will be beaten up by chop blocks:rolleyes:.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a high level explanation of the basic idea:

In The basic zone blocking for a run, each lineman blocks every defender that appears in front of him. An o-lineman has no predetermined defender to block, it is whoever shows up in front of him after the snap (obvious exception: if a d-lineman is in front of you, you block him). At the snap, the o-line continuously moves to the playside, blocking any defender that appears. The backside linemen may be assigned specific backside linemen to block (e.g., the DE and DT).

The running back reads the blocks. The running back is looking for a gap with no defender and then runs through the gap. The back initially runs with the o-line, but has freedom to cut back if he sees an opening.

In the basic zone read option, the o-line leaves a backside player unblocked for the QB to option.

In basic triple option blocking, each lineman has a dedicated defender to block. The lineman has to identify, pre-snap, which defender he is responsible for and then go block that defender at the snap. The defender to be blocked isn't a specific player in so much as it is a player in a specific spot relative to the other defenders. For example, an o-lineman might be assigned to block the the first player inside the pitch key. That player could be a linebacker, it could be a safety. This is partly why defenses shift pre snap. It forces the lineman to re-determine which defender he is responsible for. For example, the lineman might now block the DT and someone else now has responsibility for the first player inside the pitch key.

The running back simply runs his assigned track and waits for the ball to be given to him (or not).

I don't have an opinion about which scheme is more difficult to do. The zone blocking is more difficult than it sounds.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I wish we would try to run a little no huddle style. I feel like the defenses would be forced to play more of a bland defense. Run no huddle no necessarily to speed up the game but keep the defense guessing.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
After reading the given explanations and the links Zhavenor posted, it's pretty clear that our OL has a much more complicated scheme to execute. The communication has to be quick and adjustments have to be in sync between linemen. That's all before the ball is even snapped. Last second D shifts exacerbate the difficulty tremendously. The backside cut blocking frequently referenced here is not just "diving and flopping" as many complain about. The whole scheme requires a hell of a lot both mentally and physically and it's easy to see why it takes so much time to master. Any additional links or knowledgable discussion would be great.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I have several sites that I find interesting. They are by high school coaches. I'll look for more in my favorites and post them if I can find them.
Here is one that is not from CPJ tree of offense but you could find some useful things in it. http://3backoptionfootball.blogspot.com/
This one about football in general but has articles on option football. It has a lot about TCU's 4-2 defense if you are interested http://footballislifeblog.blogspot.com/