Black Watch Replica Leak

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Ga. Tech Ties Irish​

By Furman Bisher
November 9, 1980
Georgia Tech climbed its highest mountain today, scaled the heights of the nation's loftiest ranked football team, clad in the green of Notre Dame. The plagued Yellow Jackets reached up from their lowest depths in 46 years to the dizzying elation that comes with tying the hallowed Irish, who came here unbesmirched in seven games and roaring toward a collision with mighty Alabama next week. The score was 3-3.
As far as the gold-plated, loyal old liners among the 41,226 who shook and rattled Grant Field were concerned, the lead to this story should read: "Georgia Tech beat Notre Dame Saturday afternoon on Grant Field, 3-3." For indeed it was the Irish who had to come up with the tying points, and then with only 4:44 left in the fourth quarter, when junior Harry Oliver lined a 47-yard field goal.
Georgie Tech had run the ball down to the Notre Dame 22 in the middle of the second quarter, at which point senior Johnny Smith kicked the 39 yards of his life for the field goal that established a lead that almost survived the duration.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Ga. Tech Ties Irish​

By Furman Bisher
November 9, 1980
Georgia Tech climbed its highest mountain today, scaled the heights of the nation's loftiest ranked football team, clad in the green of Notre Dame. The plagued Yellow Jackets reached up from their lowest depths in 46 years to the dizzying elation that comes with tying the hallowed Irish, who came here unbesmirched in seven games and roaring toward a collision with mighty Alabama next week. The score was 3-3.
As far as the gold-plated, loyal old liners among the 41,226 who shook and rattled Grant Field were concerned, the lead to this story should read: "Georgia Tech beat Notre Dame Saturday afternoon on Grant Field, 3-3." For indeed it was the Irish who had to come up with the tying points, and then with only 4:44 left in the fourth quarter, when junior Harry Oliver lined a 47-yard field goal.
Georgie Tech had run the ball down to the Notre Dame 22 in the middle of the second quarter, at which point senior Johnny Smith kicked the 39 yards of his life for the field goal that established a lead that almost survived the duration.
Never threw a pass that day. All our QB's were hurt. I can't remember who ran the offense but I think it was either a H back or a DB. The next year was the 69-14 payback. We had probably spoiled a national championship with the tie. They would run scores up for votes in the polls back them. I have despised them ever since.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Never threw a pass that day. All our QB's were hurt. I can't remember who ran the offense but I think it was either a H back or a DB. The next year was the 69-14 payback. We had probably spoiled a national championship with the tie. They would run scores up for votes in the polls back them. I have despised them ever since.
I believe it was Whisenhunt.

An amazing game regardless and one I never would have predicted during an otherwise bleak injury riddled season. We also gave uga the template to beat them in a bowl game for their last national championship.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I believe it was Whisenhunt.

An amazing game regardless and one I never would have predicted during an otherwise bleak injury riddled season. We also gave uga the template to beat them in a bowl game for their last national championship.
I thought it was Ken Wisenhunt but didn't want to make a mistake. He was the first player I ever remember getting a 6th year to play.

ramblincaddy

Georgia Tech Fan
You have your years confused. The “no pass” game was in 1976 when Pepper was coach and we ran the wishbone. We for some reason scheduled ND for Homecoming. We were 40 point underdogs. With Gary Lanier running the wishbone we didn’t attempt a pass and won 23-14 I think. The following year (1977) was in South Bend and was the 69-14 game. Amazingly, we led the game 7-6 in the middle of the 2nd quarter after Eddie Lee Ivery ran a kickoff back for a TD. With Joe Montana at QB, they out scored us 63-7 for the remaining 2 1/2 quarters. Dan Devine was ND’s coach and he and Pepper had bad blood going back to their Big 8 days at Missouri and Kansas. Also, the 1975 game was at South Bend and was the Rudy game. I was at all three of the games

You have your years confused. The “no pass” game was in 1976 when Pepper was coach and we ran the wishbone. We for some reason scheduled ND for Homecoming. We were 40 point underdogs. With Gary Lanier running the wishbone we didn’t attempt a pass and won 23-14 I think. The following year (1977) was in South Bend and was the 69-14 game. Amazingly, we led the game 7-6 in the middle of the 2nd quarter after Eddie Lee Ivery ran a kickoff back for a TD. With Joe Montana at QB, they out scored us 63-7 for the remaining 2 1/2 quarters. Dan Devine was ND’s coach and he and Pepper had bad blood going back to their Big 8 days at Missouri and Kansas. Also, the 1975 game was at South Bend and was the Rudy game. I was at all three of the games
IIRC, we actually attempted one pass in that game against ND, but it was incomplete. It was the Georgia game in Athens in 1974 where we didn't even attempt a pass and beat them in the frigid wind and rain. At least that's the way I remember it; I was at both those games.

ramblincaddy

Georgia Tech Fan
IIRC, we actually attempted one pass in that game against ND, but it was incomplete. It was the Georgia game in Athens in 1974 where we didn't even attempt a pass and beat them in the frigid wind and rain. At least that's the way I remember it; I was at both those games.
Nope - there is even an article on ramblinwreck.com about it. We were going to attempt a pass, but Ross Browner sacked Lanier for an 8 yard loss. We never attempted one. I was also at the 1974 game in Athens and we completed several passes in that game