BJS kick returning

slugboy

Staff member
Speed means nothing if don’t know where to go. Thomas and Carpenter are cemented at Safety spots.

Man what to Askew this year? He been burned all year long.

A lot of able bodies at LB

Thomas, BJS, Henderson should be the 1st group

This vid of Curry still making my blood boil

Yeesh. I clicked the Twitter link. I didn't need to rewatch that.

IMO, Juanyeh Thomas and Tariq Carpenter should be moved to LB. We need speed at LB.

Carpenter is 6'2 218lbs. He could easily gain another 12-15 lbs and play LB. He's got great speed and hitting ability for LB. I'm not sure he has the range at the ACC level for safety.

Thomas is 6'3 200 lbs. Getting weight on him may be a little tougher, but he's naturally a defensive player. Like Tariq, he'll have outstanding speed for LB.

That's 2 guys with speed and range that could change the complexion of our LB corps.

IMO, BJS has outstanding athleticism, size, and speed for LB, but I'm not sure he has the natural instincts. Maybe the next staff can coach him up better, but he takes too many false steps and is slow in diagnosing. It could be he needs more reps.

At RB, he could be special.

I actually think we'll be fine at LB. Remember, we're transitioning from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Less LBs needed. I think the whole Curry/Mitchell/Alexander seniority issue kept some of our younger and more athletic guys off the field. I really wish Jalen Johnson had another year...he was turning the corner for us at LB. REALLY wish they would have moved him there years ago like a certain poster said...ahem. :)

I think one of Thomas/Carpenter is going to play a hybrid/safety role (cover your eyes, basically a "wolf" from 10-11 years ago). The spring game will be interesting.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
IMO, Juanyeh Thomas and Tariq Carpenter should be moved to LB. We need speed at LB.

Carpenter is 6'2 218lbs. He could easily gain another 12-15 lbs and play LB. He's got great speed and hitting ability for LB. I'm not sure he has the range at the ACC level for safety.

Thomas is 6'3 200 lbs. Getting weight on him may be a little tougher, but he's naturally a defensive player. Like Tariq, he'll have outstanding speed for LB.

That's 2 guys with speed and range that could change the complexion of our LB corps.

IMO, BJS has outstanding athleticism, size, and speed for LB, but I'm not sure he has the natural instincts. Maybe the next staff can coach him up better, but he takes too many false steps and is slow in diagnosing. It could be he needs more reps.

I actually think we'll be fine at LB. Remember, we're transitioning from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Less LBs needed. I think the whole Curry/Mitchell/Alexander seniority issue kept some of our younger and more athletic guys off the field. I really wish Jalen Johnson had another year...he was turning the corner for us at LB. REALLY wish they would have moved him there years ago like a certain poster said...ahem. :)
BJS could put those same RB instincts (finding and attacking a hole) to use as a blitzing LB. Tenuta would have a field day using an athlete like that to attack the QB. If he has a hard time developing the instincts for playing MLB, put that athleticism to work in just creating havoc and attacking from the outside.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We need him so Bad at LB but he’s a game changer at Running Back. At some point you have to take the good with the bad and allow him to be in the position to make the most plays. In my opinion it should come down to JaQuez Jackson’s off season.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I agree . Also Thomas has long arms to fend off blockers. He loves to hit.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We need him so Bad at LB but he’s a game changer at Running Back. At some point you have to take the good with the bad and allow him to be in the position to make the most plays. In my opinion it should come down to JaQuez Jackson’s off season.

I liked how he looked on those returns also. Using those two plays and his hs tape to declare him a game changer is silly. He was a game changer in hs. He has to prove it st this level now. And this is all assuming he has changed his mind or might regarding his desire to play LB only.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Speed means nothing if don’t know where to go. Thomas and Carpenter are cemented at Safety spots.

I hate to pile on, but thats how our MLB have been taught for years; even before woody, it was to attack your assignment not the gap. I surely wonder if woody taught this way too, to stick and scrape vs penetrate. We so often under roof and now, would find the blocker to take him on vs just go make the play. Its so odd. Even when we would blitz, we would seek out the blocker. I don't know if this is the linger of the roof D techniques or woody does it too or what. But I can tell you emphatically. That was pathetic. That was a premeditated LB move; almost like he wasn't even watching the play, just I am going to go hit my key no matter what; vs attack the exact gap his key was responsible for sealing. Its awful. Its just puke. I am baffled as to why we consistently do this. Talent sure can be improved, but what you just watched has zero to do with talent.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

It's almost as if he was seeking out and wanting to take on that lineman instead of filling the gap between his linemen.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I hate to pile on, but thats how our MLB have been taught for years; even before woody, it was to attack your assignment not the gap. I surely wonder if woody taught this way too, to stick and scrape vs penetrate. We so often under roof and now, would find the blocker to take him on vs just go make the play. Its so odd. Even when we would blitz, we would seek out the blocker. I don't know if this is the linger of the roof D techniques or woody does it too or what. But I can tell you emphatically. That was pathetic. That was a premeditated LB move; almost like he wasn't even watching the play, just I am going to go hit my key no matter what; vs attack the exact gap his key was responsible for sealing. Its awful. Its just puke. I am baffled as to why we consistently do this. Talent sure can be improved, but what you just watched has zero to do with talent.

And folks on here clamoring some coaches should’ve been retained.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear you Steam, but I really think we should play him both ways(BJS).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's almost as if he was seeking out and wanting to take on that lineman instead of filling the gap between his linemen.
It's even worse that they are head over AWAY from his gap. Then the giant legal holding was not ever called.
I am guilty of thinking that we could get close to being on the right side of the blocker we confronted. Been going on for 4 years no matter who was the position coach.
BJS suffered the same issue, but when he hit , I observed the pile moved.

Next year this will be an observational metric for our lb improvement.
DO WE ATTACK ON RIGHT SIDE OF BLOCKER? .

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's even worse that they are head over AWAY from his gap. Then the giant legal holding was not ever called.
I am guilty of thinking that we could get close to being on the right side of the blocker we confronted. Been going on for 4 years no matter who was the position coach.

Well sometimes you need to attack on the left side of the blocker. I just want them to attack the correct side :p

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And folks on here clamoring some coaches should’ve been retained.

Some wanted to keep Mac solely for recruiting. I get that notion and it’s not a crazy one. But I think a completely new slate is preferable.

Some of CNW’s struggles this year very well may have been because he didn’t have a full staff of his own guys.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow

No chance of misinterpreting your feelings on ILB play/style :)
I am so looking for improvements on D

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Your post brings up something I’ve noticed over these past 11 years (more frequent recently)...we almost never seem to have offensive holding called against our opponents. I think there was one stretch last year where we went something like 3-4 games in a row without a holding call in our favor (which seems insane in a sport where it’s generally accepted that holding could be called on practically every play). Is there a way to go back and check the numbers on this to confirm my theory? I’ve always thought it had something to do with our aggressive drive blocking making holding against us very unlikely, so the refs let things slide from our opponents to keep things called evenly between the teams.