Billy Schmidt to UF

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
God Shamgod! Played against him on the AAU level. Man that kid was quick. Haven't heard that name in 15 years!
There were a couple of horrible comments subsequently. In perusing twitter comments, which have to be taken with a grain of salt, the overriding theme seems to be not good as a head coach, but could be a solid assistant.

Moving on, these are some notable players from his time as an ACC & Big East assistant. Note I've got no indication that he recruited these players (several were already there when he arrived) or worked directly on their development. This is meant to give us a guide for type of player contrasted to some reasonably good periods for those teams. Assuming he played a part in a portion of the below recruitments, there's a chance he can contribute via New England prep schools & Metro NYC area. Totally pulling this out of my rear, but trying to piece together how he may contribute to recruiting.
  • Donald Hand -UVA
  • Majestic Mapp - UVA
  • Roger Mason - UVA
  • DeJuan Blair - Pitt
  • Levance Fields - Pitt
  • Sam Young - Pitt
  • Gilbert Brown - Pitt
  • Ashton Gibbs - Pitt
  • Lamar Patterson - Pitt
  • Talib Zanna - Pitt
  • Jamel Thomas - Providence
  • God Shamgod - Providence
  • Austin Croshere - Providence
  • Eric Williams - Providence

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No doubt.. glad to see that he endorsed it. Its not the BIG splash that some (including myself) were hoping for, but that doesn't mean anything. If it translates into more wins or landing better recruits, then that's all that matters.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Jamel Thomas, what a monster that guy was, 6-7 (?) and could score from literally anywhere on the court.

Im down for whoever helps us win. If he can recruit the Northeast and pull guys out of Brewster, New Hampton, South Kent, Cushing etc, that would be fantastic.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Hadn't seen it specified that Dollar was also elevated to "associate" (I'm assuming associate head coach) whatever that means. Pay raise? I remember the rumblings that he was leaving. Could this be why he stayed?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I certainly think Kenny Anderson would love the opportunity, but I think his overall lack of coaching experience is problematic. He was head coach for a FL HS, until he got a DUI and he's now helping kids with camps.

I think it's a possibility, but not probable.

Agree ... Just don't see it happening.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe should've hired Sharman White to get that USA Basketball recruiting advantage.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, maybe. Coach K says its not an advantage though. Its not an advantage to coach these kids overseas in a tournaments and get all kinds of one on one time with them. :wacky:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, maybe. Coach K says its not an advantage though. Its not an advantage to coach these kids overseas in a tournaments and get all kinds of one on one time with them. :wacky:

Well, I don't think he's technically coaching/getting one-on-one time with the HS kids. However, I'm sure he has a hand in who's invited/selected. Plus, the cache of coaching Lebron, Rose, etc. is where his advantages are gained. Now I have to go wash my keyboard out with soap for typing something resembling a defense of Krychewski. I blame you P36. (n)
If he says it, then I am sure it's true.. :sarcasm: :rolleyes:

The only people who believe that are the folks that buy the back injury coinciding with the least talented Duke team in 30+ years. Riiiiight.

Ok, keyboard redeemed. (y)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The problem with that argument is that people make it about Coach K. The reality is that all the coaches in USAB get an advantage. They may not be directly recruiting the kid wihle in the USAB setting, but they're showing him what kind of system they run, what kind of person they may be, etc.

Coach K may not be handling these HS kids directly, but he can certainly walk in and tell a kid he's a sure fire pro and in a couple of years, I'll be coaching you on the USAB senior team.