Billy Schmidt to UF

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All former head coaches. Hope they're bang out on the X's & O's, because I'm not sure I see any recruiting sizzle among these potential candidates.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All former head coaches. Hope they're bang out on the X's & O's, because I'm not sure I see any recruiting sizzle among these potential candidates.

Those are the names that I heard earlier this week and none of them jumped off the page at me. The guy that I spoke with also has his name in the hat, and I really wish that they would consider him for the position, but I think that he may be on the outside looking in at the moment. If I had to choose one of those guys, I'd probably go with Heath as well.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Dtm and I were talking about this guy earlier in the week. Heard from a different person than the one who named Lewis, Heath, and Therron that he was at the top of the list, but there are some formalities so I've kept it on the low. Would definitely be a big assist in terms of recruiting the Atlanta area.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not sure what this adds on the recruiting trail..on the surface, it's not the sizzle that most wanted/expected.

Anyone know his pedigree?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Are you referring to the fact that his teams get progressively worse the longer he is there?

Pitt was good while he was there. CoC and Marshall aren't exactly CBB dynasties either, difficult to coach there im sure.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm not sure what this adds on the recruiting trail..on the surface, it's not the sizzle that most wanted/expected.

Anyone know his pedigree?

:D I was about to post everything you said almost exactly. Based on what we're facing from some other local programs (UG, AU, etc.) I totally expected us to go for sizzle with our other recent hire being the steak. Sigh. Hope this works out.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What happened to McCray? Just a rumor?

The person I heard it from has usually been spot on. I was a little surprised when I saw Borzello's tweet! With that said, this same person told me that they were going through the normal process of background checks on McCray, and that his departure from LSU looked a little funny. Not sure if something up there they weren't comfortable with, or if he just had been getting bad info.

Back of mind, I was hoping for McCray purely from a recruiting perspective. I really wish that they would consider Sharman White of Miller Grove. I think that he would bring a lot of the table both recruiting wise and his knowledge of the game. He's doing something right as he has built a dynasty in Georgia.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
The person I heard it from has usually been spot on. I was a little surprised when I saw Borzello's tweet! With that said, this same person told me that they were going through the normal process of background checks on McCray, and that his departure from LSU looked a little funny. Not sure if something up there they weren't comfortable with, or if he just had been getting bad info.

Back of mind, I was hoping for McCray purely from a recruiting perspective. I really wish that they would consider Sharman White of Miller Grove. I think that he would bring a lot of the table both recruiting wise and his knowledge of the game. He's doing something right as he has built a dynasty in Georgia.

Thanks for the response. McCray looked good on paper. And I would echo your "nomination" of White.

But I do not have to work with the new assistant 365 days a year, and Gregory does.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of nice comments from UVA fans about Herrion in this Andy Katz tweet. Gillen did have a good run there. He sweated through the upper back of his suit jacket, which was gross, but a pretty good run at UVA.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There were a couple of horrible comments subsequently. In perusing twitter comments, which have to be taken with a grain of salt, the overriding theme seems to be not good as a head coach, but could be a solid assistant.

Moving on, these are some notable players from his time as an ACC & Big East assistant. Note I've got no indication that he recruited these players (several were already there when he arrived) or worked directly on their development. This is meant to give us a guide for type of player contrasted to some reasonably good periods for those teams. Assuming he played a part in a portion of the below recruitments, there's a chance he can contribute via New England prep schools & Metro NYC area. Totally pulling this out of my rear, but trying to piece together how he may contribute to recruiting.
  • Donald Hand -UVA
  • Majestic Mapp - UVA
  • Roger Mason - UVA
  • DeJuan Blair - Pitt
  • Levance Fields - Pitt
  • Sam Young - Pitt
  • Gilbert Brown - Pitt
  • Ashton Gibbs - Pitt
  • Lamar Patterson - Pitt
  • Talib Zanna - Pitt
  • Jamel Thomas - Providence
  • God Shamgod - Providence