Billy Schmidt to UF

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Um, that's probably not a good thing considering Schmidt came here as a springboard to head coaching possibilities. I'm staying out of my doom-n-gloom mode so I'll just say this is a great opportunity for us to make an addition to the staff.

Not sure if we want to delve into the recent past, but I'd be surprised if Cliff Warren likes it that much in Mary-land.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
He was CBG's top assistant at Dayton and came here with him. Be interesting to see with whom GT replaces him.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Strikes me as a strange time of year to have replace people on the staff. Doesn't this usually happen in May/June?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cliff Warren would be a great addition, but he went to Maryland to be closer to ill family, I believe. If I was going the bring back route, I'd like to see LaBarrie or Charlton Young, but I think they've advanced too far at this point, if you assume a pecking order among assistants.

This is weird timing and it will be interesting to see if Dollar & NDiaye get bumped up and we bring on a hungry recruiter type that knows other parts of the country or bolsters the effort locally *cough* Winston Neal *cough*.

Losing Coach Schmidt is definitely a loss, as it's my understanding he's the one who led the development of Daniel Miller, and the timing sucks. That said, he's seeking to be a head coach (was in the running for the Dayton job) and people springboard from Donovan's staff to be a head coach - Pelphrey, Grant, Smart, etc.

Best of luck to him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
IIUC Schmidt was the top assistant so Labarrie or Young should jump at the chance to replace him. I don't think either have progressed as far as the 2nd chair. However, N'Diaye may be primed for the spot now that I think of it. Good call there.

I remember you mentioning W. Neal appeared to be campaigning for a spot. At this point I doubt it'd hurt to take a flyer on a local, plugged in guy and bump the others up a slot. That's done wonders for recruiting in Athens.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Charlton Young is as assistant at FSU currently. He was at Ga. Southern as head coach (after leaving Tech) for 4 years. Not the most successful years, unfortunately. His talents seem to lie in recruiting. Doubt if he would want to retrace his footsteps.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Does Stan Heath have a job yet? His son's already on the team, and it might be an easy fit. He may have good recruiting ties to Florida.

I'm just spit-balling from ignorance.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Stan Heath is theoretically not a bad choice and as a GT employee, his son could probably come off scholarship and still get free tuition, while freeing up a scholarship.

Let's just get this out of the way. I don't see Mark Price coming back at this point unless it's as head coach. He's working his way up the NBA coaching ladder, interviewed, at least at the courtesy level, for the Cavs head coaching job, and doesn't have to deal with the recruiting & academics end of things.

I'd be thrilled to see Mark Price return, but DRad shut the door on that for at least a cycle. All personal opinion. Also, he joined twitter today if you haven't heard and follow GT folks on there.

https://twitter.com/Mark25Price

Kenny Anderson would be interested. He throws that out on twitter periodically, but I think he'd be better suited for the NBA also.

I'd love to see Jon Babul get another crack, but unfortunately, he was involved with some of the NCAA infractions a while back, so not sure that's realistic.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree @dtm1997, losing Schmidt will hurt. He was BG's top assistant and very good with the bigs. I'll be very interested to see who is mentioned as his replacement, but count me among those that would like to see a splash. It doesn't have to be a big splash, but something like what you outline above with Heath or a former GT player. While this is a loss, it could be turned into a positive with the right hire IMO.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You have the big man coach in CMN.

If you can find a clean, well connected guy in the Atlanta area AAU circuit.....doo oo ittttt

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree on both points @Peacone36, although I might expand a bit to someone with broader Southeast connections, including ATL. North Carolina is pumping out talent recently.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK... I was looking at another board and they started joking around about hiring the Wheeler coach and then it hit me because the answer was so obvious. A great candidate would be Sharman White from Miller Grove.

White has led Miller Grove to SIX straight state titles (winner), is a national speaker among HS coaches (well respected), and supposedly sought a college job this offseason (seeking upward oppty).

That would be a splash hire, just not sure how redundant he'd be with Dollar on staff.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
OK... I was looking at another board and they started joking around about hiring the Wheeler coach and then it hit me because the answer was so obvious. A great candidate would be Sharman White from Miller Grove.

White has led Miller Grove to SIX straight state titles (winner), is a national speaker among HS coaches (well respected), and supposedly sought a college job this offseason (seeking upward oppty).

That would be a splash hire, just not sure how redundant he'd be with Dollar on staff.

Wouldn't mind that at all.

ETA: Although nobody recruits like the Wheeler coach.

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I say Kenny Anderson
I certainly think Kenny Anderson would love the opportunity, but I think his overall lack of coaching experience is problematic. He was head coach for a FL HS, until he got a DUI and he's now helping kids with camps.

I think it's a possibility, but not probable.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Doubt it considering the off-court concerns we've had under the current regime. That last DUI wasn't his first IIRC.