Bill Curry's Thoughts

LibertyTurns

Banned
There is plenty of reasons someone can criticize an engineering (or architecture) work without having done one themselves. That is the same sort of fallacy that 'if you did not play football in college you don't know anything and cannot say anything about it.
It’s the typical problem weaker engineers have. Yeah there’s some smarter than everyone else, but the ones that need no experienced input are few & far between.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Bill knows about this because this season is starting to resemble 1980-1981.

In some ways, yes but it was a very different time and he labored under a different set of challenges. Curry faced a talent shortage far worse than what Coach Collins is facing and the generally acknowledged worst facilities in what was then called Division 1 football. Some things were similar: Critical fan base, lackluster support from the Hill, ridiculously narrow academic curriculum etc. Coach Curry's schedule as we transitioned from a belated attempt to get back in the SEC to the ACC was very challenging: Alabama, Florida, (though not as good then) Tennessee, and Auburn ouch! Either way the rebuilding was going to take time and start with rebuilding the lines.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What a lame tweet. These kids are warriors not damn girl scouts. They sometimes need some attitude adjustment that most teenagers deserve lol but cut out the lovey dovey crap Bill... move along.

Curry's over the top, but he means well. To my mind the kind of criticism that is unwarranted is when a fan singles out and runs down an athlete simply because he isn't good enough. As long as he's putting forth the effort, that's just wrong and totally useless. Any athlete striving hard to play well deserve support from the fans. Now, if an athlete is loafing and you can really tell that's the case, that's a whole different ball game. Yes, they might need some attitude adjustment.

Coaches are fair game, any time, any place.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
In some ways, yes but it was a very different time and he labored under a different set of challenges. Curry faced a talent shortage far worse than what Coach Collins is facing and the generally acknowledged worst facilities in what was then called Division 1 football. Some things were similar: Critical fan base, lackluster support from the Hill, ridiculously narrow academic curriculum etc. Coach Curry's schedule as we transitioned from a belated attempt to get back in the SEC to the ACC was very challenging: Alabama, Florida, (though not as good then) Tennessee, and Auburn ouch! Either way the rebuilding was going to take time and start with rebuilding the lines.
GT had one very good lineman then,OL Ben Utt:smuggrin:

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Curious when I hear this...how do you feel about college athletes getting paid?
I played in college and I don’t think they should be paid. If you want to be paid go to the pros. I think some are trying to inflate their value. A very small group of college fans follow a team because a player is playing at school X. Unless you personally know the person you not going to follow a player unless he is playing for your team. I will say that is why I become a Tech fan. Jerry Mays played with my brother from midget football to high school. I would have followed him where he went. You are getting a free education, whether you get a useful degree or underwater basket weaving is on the player. Plus it is not financially possible for the school to play players. You can’t just pay the football and basketball teams you will have to pay everybody. I think we can all agree that Tech athl dept isn’t sit on a ton of cash too be paying athletes. Most schools dont really turn a profit at the end of the year, someone on had a chart that show only like a handful of athletic programs turned a profit. So from a school standpoint I think it is a dead issue.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It’s the typical problem weaker engineers have. Yeah there’s some smarter than everyone else, but the ones that need no experienced input are few & far between.

Kind of like having to tell someone giving you advice on how to raise your kids - " yeah... I did my best parenting before I had kids too."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I played in college and I don’t think they should be paid. If you want to be paid go to the pros. I think some are trying to inflate their value. A very small group of college fans follow a team because a player is playing at school X. Unless you personally know the person you not going to follow a player unless he is playing for your team. I will say that is why I become a Tech fan. Jerry Mays played with my brother from midget football to high school. I would have followed him where he went. You are getting a free education, whether you get a useful degree or underwater basket weaving is on the player. Plus it is not financially possible for the school to play players. You can’t just pay the football and basketball teams you will have to pay everybody. I think we can all agree that Tech athl dept isn’t sit on a ton of cash too be paying athletes. Most schools dont really turn a profit at the end of the year, someone on had a chart that show only like a handful of athletic programs turned a profit. So from a school standpoint I think it is a dead issue.

+1
Can't like this enough!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We could have hired George Welch instead of Curry. Went with the Tech alum with no HC experience. Then he jumps to Bama. I have no respect for him after that. I was never impressed by his coaching. Coach Lindsey was a good coach for him. Curry was a 500 coach. He did have some hurdles at Tech but he knew what he was getting into.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We could have hired George Welch instead of Curry. Went with the Tech alum with no HC experience. Then he jumps to Bama. I have no respect for him after that. I was never impressed by his coaching. Coach Lindsey was a good coach for him. Curry was a 500 coach. He did have some hurdles at Tech but he knew what he was getting into.
The final 3 were Curry, Glanville and Spurrier.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

George Welch would have been an awesome hire.