Bill Connelly’s team history charts

slugboy

Staff member
Here we are
@ESPN_BillC: Georgia Tech’s S&P+ history, from divorces to titles to the triple option. The Wreck are unique, I’ll say that much.

It doesn’t come out like I’d think, altogether

Thread starts with Mizzou
@ESPN_BillC: Alright, let's have a chart party ([emoji2398] @jon_bois) ... will add to this thread in the coming hours/days...

Mizzou's S&P+ history. Ups and downs and ups and downs and ups and downs and ups and downs and really really bad in the late-1980s and Gary Pinkel is forever underrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
I’m pretty sure I’ve just started a lot of arguments here. I’m in a plane. I’ll see how this turns out when I land.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m pretty sure I’ve just started a lot of arguments here. I’m in a plane. I’ll see how this turns out when I land.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. LOTS of things to analyze on that chart, and it's quite possibly one of the coolest things I've seen as a college football fan to summarize a team's history.

We really need an eating popcorn emoji. As a staff member, you and @CuseJacket need to make it happen.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bunch of total idiots. They do it every year. Did Trevor Lawrence get ranked #103 in the pre-season last year because he hadn't thrown a pass in a game since high school? Idiots.

Technically, Clemson also had Kelly Bryant as well who passed for a gazillion yards and took them to the national championship game. So last year Clemson would have been rated with Bryant/Chase/Lawrence.

On a side note, that tells you how great of a talent Lawrence is. You usually NEVER see an upperclassman with Bryant's credentials get passed over for a TRUE freshmen after the 4th game. Oh, and they also have the #1 QB in the 2020 class committed. I hate Clemson...(actually, I'm just jealous).

Deleted member 2897

Technically, Clemson also had Kelly Bryant as well who passed for a gazillion yards and took them to the national championship game. So last year Clemson would have been rated with Bryant/Chase/Lawrence.

On a side note, that tells you how great of a talent Lawrence is. You usually NEVER see an upperclassman with Bryant's credentials get passed over for a TRUE freshmen after the 4th game. Oh, and they also have the #1 QB in the 2020 class committed. I hate Clemson...(actually, I'm just jealous).

If Lawrence doesn't get injured, that guy can redshirt during Lawrence's last year before going #1 overall in the 2021 draft.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Bunch of total idiots. They do it every year. Did Trevor Lawrence get ranked #103 in the pre-season last year because he hadn't thrown a pass in a game since high school? Idiots.

Not sure if you're serious or not. Lucas Johnson wasn't the consensus #1 QB recruit in the nation and is a R-Jr vs a True Fr. (And no one who saw TL in HS doubted he would be the starting QB within a year) While LJ may end up being a top tier QB, he is a bit of an unknown and also coming off injury.

Deleted member 2897

Not sure if you're serious or not. Lucas Johnson wasn't the consensus #1 QB recruit in the nation and is a R-Jr vs a True Fr. (And no one who saw TL in HS doubted he would be the starting QB within a year) While LJ may end up being a top tier QB, he is a bit of an unknown and also coming off injury.

My point was that these people are ignorant and don’t do their homework. You can tell by the way they listed Lucas Johnson/Tobias Oliver that they don’t even know who the starting quarterback will be. They took no time to research the issue or anything. By saying that Lucas Johnson hasn’t thrown a pass since high school, they’re basically saying that he’s not any good and that’s why he hasn’t thrown a pass. “ Who is the next team? Oh it’s Georgia Tech - well just skip them and put them down as almost at the bottom of the ACC and around number 100 nationally - don’t spend any time on it.”

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My point was that these people are ignorant and don’t do their homework. You can tell by the way they listed Lucas Johnson/Tobias Oliver that they don’t even know who the starting quarterback will be. They took no time to research the issue or anything. By saying that Lucas Johnson hasn’t thrown a pass since high school, they’re basically saying that he’s not any good and that’s why he hasn’t thrown a pass. “ Who is the next team? Oh it’s Georgia Tech - well just skip them and put them down as almost at the bottom of the ACC and around number 100 nationally - don’t spend any time on it.”

WE don't know who the starting QB will be. We all think it will be LJ, but that's far from decided. As for the comment about not throwing a pass since HS, I didn't take it to mean he wasn't any good. I took it to mean he had little to no college experience for being here three years already, and a good bit removed from consistent playing time.

You have a chip on your shoulder and unless a publication paints us as Coastal Champions you're determined they are all idiots.

Deleted member 2897

You have a chip on your shoulder and unless a publication paints us as Coastal Champions you're determined they are all idiots.

And you always put words in my mouth. I've never said such a thing - not one single time. My beef, as I've said it repeatedly, is that we NEVER finish 0-8 or 1-7 in the ACC and with like 4 or fewer wins overall. Once in the last 25 years have we been below 0.500 in ACC play. This kind of BS prediction happens every year. I've never said we should be predicted to win everything - on the contrary, I've said we should be predicted to finish roughly where we usually do. That's what they seem to do with every other team, so why not us? That would be between 5th-8th in the ACC and 6-7 wins.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I saw that the 3 Athletic writers have us near very bottom , the middle of the pack, and in the middle of bottom half.
One has us 4-4 in conference.

Per another article our players think they are getting a lot more preparation( against offenses they will see. ). Perhaps we will surprise.

Deleted member 2897

Per another article our players think they are getting a lot more preparation( against offenses they will see. ). Perhaps we will surprise.

Probably won't happen overnight, but our 1s on defense getting to play against our 1s on offense (for example) instead of a scout team full of largely walk-ons and deep bench players is a big difference.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Note here this is sarcasm.

I'm not worried about the change in offense , from what I remember CPJ said we had 50 or more missed assignments per game so I take it as they didn't learn something we would have to forget. :).
My problem is I can't get a read on CGC with CPJ I knew when we had a bad practiced . With CGC he seems to always be upbeat and positive.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here we are
@ESPN_BillC: Georgia Tech’s S&P+ history, from divorces to titles to the triple option. The Wreck are unique, I’ll say that much.

It doesn’t come out like I’d think, altogether

Thread starts with Mizzou
@ESPN_BillC: Alright, let's have a chart party ([emoji2398] @jon_bois) ... will add to this thread in the coming hours/days...

Mizzou's S&P+ history. Ups and downs and ups and downs and ups and downs and ups and downs and really really bad in the late-1980s and Gary Pinkel is forever underrated.

Well, from not long after the turn of the century (20th) to 1966 Tech had 3 coaches, each of whom won one national championship: Heisman (1917), Alexander ( 1927) and Dodd (1952) Other than that bit of consistency, Tech has been about as up and down as any program. If Heisman had not gotten a divorce, he may have won another national title or two, he was that good.