Biggest issue to fix, going into next season

Jmonty71

Banned
Without calling anyone's name. Whether it be player or coach. What do you think needs fixed the most, before next season? And give an explanation as to why. If you really want to score points, say how to fix it. If you can't that's fine.. I'm sure we have enough smart people on here...

Jmonty71

Banned
I'll start..

Team chemistry
. It just did not seem to be there, this year. There looked to be a complete lack of leadership. At points, it almost looked like 11 men, on a field, all doing whatever they felt like.

How to fix it?? Good question.. The team really has to look in the mirror, as a whole, and decide what they want. Do they want to win? Do they want to do more than people expect? Do they want to gel as a team and have each other's backs? These are all answers that the kids really need to answer. The coaches can't name team leaders. The coaches can't be that peer level voice.

I think that is what was missing, this past season. That true team leader.. That locker room presence.

Maybe I'm off.. But, there just didn't seem to be a lot of bite in them, this year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Special Teams first and foremost...it at least needs to become average and not put us in terrible spots...but I think it will honestly. So I will love on the real issue, imho.......

Defense.

Games are won and lost with defense. Dodd knew this. All the big time coaches knew this. I sure do miss having a defense! Clemson's chances this year hinge on their defense. Same with Auburn, really.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Our coverage units on Special teams desperately need to be fixed and I would start by adding a ST coach that is a really good recruiter. Also, next year maybe put more starters on the units.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Without calling anyone's name. Whether it be player or coach. What do you think needs fixed the most, before next season? And give an explanation as to why. If you really want to score points, say how to fix it. If you can't that's fine.. I'm sure we have enough smart people on here...

This is an interesting proposition: You are asking what "needs fixed the most". Trouble is, the way this team finished the year you can make a credible case for all three phases of the team because each was outstanding (in a bad way) during the year. I am going to go with the defense especially the line. Strength and conditioning must be a priority with this bunch (and with the offensive line as well but that is for a different day) because we are not going to be able to recruit our way out of this mess. They were continually being pushed around by good offensive lines like UGA virtually at will. Linebackers were too slow at times and the much vaunted defensive backs did not create many turnovers. Right now, we are just a bad team defensively and there needs to be changes all the way around including the philosophy of the coaches because "bend don't break" is not getting it done. IMHO

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Stop area throwing (5 yd out of bounds, on wrong side of receiver and defender) and start Passing (hey just give it to the receiver).
This has to be a Hi priority of the head coach.
After the last half of season we can expect lots of men in the box.
If we beat the crap out of the crummy teams by running the ball and not passing we are working our selves into the same corner.
If we can pass (not throw) , everything will improve.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Strength. Our O line and especially our D line needs to get physically stronger. This can be done and doesn't require you to be a 5 star.
Then we should reverse the "get lean" off-season workout regimens.
Don't know where we find o t to add to the mix . We moved a guard all around to play rt, lt, rg. I guess we hope Marshall is ready.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Attendance. I wish more fans and students would show up to games. Not just show up but show up early. I hate seeing people show up halfway through the 1st quarter. I know it's a different sport and was a different situation but it was really cool to see BDS packed out for Atlanta United games this year. GT football can do the same. I feel like we need a massive marketing team to attract more sidewalk fans.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
One can name all the things already named. But the 10-year sample of Paul Johnson is he wins with offense, he just flat out outscores somebody. So you know what? What I would like to see fixed most of all is the spirit crushing touchdowns our defense give up within two minutes of playing time after the offense has scored. Just stop them once in awhile is all I ask. Is that too much? Fix that. I am only halfway kidding, too.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Attendance. I wish more fans and students would show up to games. Not just show up but show up early. I hate seeing people show up halfway through the 1st quarter. I know it's a different sport and was a different situation but it was really cool to see BDS packed out for Atlanta United games this year. GT football can do the same. I feel like we need a massive marketing team to attract more sidewalk fans.
You beat me to the punch.