Bigger Impact: Robert Sampson or Chuck Mitchell

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Since we are getting closer and closer to the start of the season, and there is a bit of a lull in recruiting now, I thought I'd create a new post to generate some discussion. Let's keep this fun. I think that it will be interesting to see what everyone thinks as to not only how these guys impact our team, but which of them will have the bigger impact.

I'll go first..

Robert Sampson: I can see Robert making a big impact on both sides of the ball. Based on the few times that I have seen him play and his highlight reels, he has the ability to score in a variety of ways. He has range out to the 3 point line, and he can also put the ball on the floor against bigger guys. Defensively, he is said to be an excellent weak-side shot blocker. With wide-bodies like Mitchell and Cox knocking people off the blocks, I suspect that Robert will excel on the boards.

Chuck Mitchell: He will not wow you with his athletic ability, but with his big body, I suspect that will certainly impact the game for us. His addition give us an instant upgrade in physicality as he has a reputation of being a very physical player. He is also known for a high motor that never stops hustling, and this helps compensate against taller guys in the paint. Chuck isn't known as a scorer, but he is someone that can find his way to up around 8-10 ppg. through put backs and dump-offs. Improve at the FT line, and he could his ppg average increase.

Who has the bigger impact? I'll go with Robert Sampson. He is going to be a pleasant surprise for Jacket fans this year. He is rarely ever talked about, but many that I have spoken with close to the program tell me that he was dominant at times in practice last season. Solid both offensively and defensively, look for Robert to be one of our primary options on the offensive end.

Feel free to start others..Some that may be interesting:

Tadric Jackson or Chris Bolden
Corey Heyward or Josh Heath
Quinton Stephens or Ben Lammers

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I agree it is Sampson. I have never seen him play in a live game but I know what we need from him. We are going to lean on him as a rim protector as well as getting us 9-11 PPG. Mitchell I expect to hit the offensive glass and give us some bulk on the defensive block.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I'm a huge Sampson fan and agree that he's really flying under the radar. His tape looks great even though it's against weaker opponents. I remember hearing he used to outblock Daniel Miller in practice last year all the time?

That said, Mitchell was a pretty good recruit coming out of high school and maybe coming home to Atlanta will get him back to that level he was at coming out of high school.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Great thread idea @connell62. I think I'll be the only one fighting for Bolden when that thread comes around. ;)

I think Sampson will make the biggest impact because I expect him to be a bigger threat on the defensive end.

Lofty expectations @Stinger90 ... and I like it. (y)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure who'll have a biger impact, but I'd like to see Sampson as the 3rd or 4th scoring option, solid rebounder, & 1.5-2 blocks/game, while Mitchell comes in, does dirty work in the paint on both ends and collects the garbage to score.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
@kg01 I am actually with you on Bolden. Tadric has the physical tools to impact regardless of his outside shot at this level when it comes to the defensive end. he may be a disappointment to some who expect him to get 13 a game but to me if he can defend the wing, get 5-7 ppg, im happy with that.

However, Boldens impact on this team is going be substantial in some way. This team may be hamstrung for scoring. While I expect us to be very good on the glass and defensively on the wings, scoring is still my primary concern. I think Bolden is more suitable to come off the bench, be a spark plug to hit a few deep threes when we are in a lull. His impact will either be very positive (10-13ppg 35-38% from deep, and id like to see 60-70 attempts from the line) or it will be the not so much. Either way is going to impact the team a great deal whether it be good or bad.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Since we are getting closer and closer to the start of the season, and there is a bit of a lull in recruiting now, I thought I'd create a new post to generate some discussion. Let's keep this fun. I think that it will be interesting to see what everyone thinks as to not only how these guys impact our team, but which of them will have the bigger impact.

I'll go first..

Robert Sampson: I can see Robert making a big impact on both sides of the ball. Based on the few times that I have seen him play and his highlight reels, he has the ability to score in a variety of ways. He has range out to the 3 point line, and he can also put the ball on the floor against bigger guys. Defensively, he is said to be an excellent weak-side shot blocker. With wide-bodies like Mitchell and Cox knocking people off the blocks, I suspect that Robert will excel on the boards.

Chuck Mitchell: He will not wow you with his athletic ability, but with his big body, I suspect that will certainly impact the game for us. His addition give us an instant upgrade in physicality as he has a reputation of being a very physical player. He is also known for a high motor that never stops hustling, and this helps compensate against taller guys in the paint. Chuck isn't known as a scorer, but he is someone that can find his way to up around 8-10 ppg. through put backs and dump-offs. Improve at the FT line, and he could his ppg average increase.

Who has the bigger impact? I'll go with Robert Sampson. He is going to be a pleasant surprise for Jacket fans this year. He is rarely ever talked about, but many that I have spoken with close to the program tell me that he was dominant at times in practice last season. Solid both offensively and defensively, look for Robert to be one of our primary options on the offensive end.

Feel free to start others..Some that may be interesting:

Tadric Jackson or Chris Bolden
Corey Heyward or Josh Heath
Quinton Stephens or Ben Lammers

Who did we get in the trade with Maryland? Was it this Mitchell kid?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I would be curious on why Sampson didn't score more points in the game/scrimmage? I thought he was a shooting threat on a team that sorely needs some.
otoh-didn't Mitchell go 8-11? was that all put-backs? and then who was on the other team to allow that?
If somebody who saw game could comment.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member