Bigger Impact: Chris Bolden or Tadric Jackson

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Today, let's examine who will make the bigger impact between rising Jr, Chris "Buckets" Bolden and incoming freshmen, Tadric Jackson.

Pulling P's comments from the other thread, we'll lead in with his comments:

@Peacone36 says:

Chris Bolden: Bolden's impact on this team is going be substantial in some way. This team may be hamstrung for scoring. While I expect us to be very good on the glass and defensively on the wings, scoring is still my primary concern. I think Bolden is more suitable to come off the bench, be a spark plug to hit a few deep threes when we are in a lull. His impact will either be very positive (10-13ppg 35-38% from deep, and id like to see 60-70 attempts from the line) or it will be the not so much. Either way is going to impact the team a great deal whether it be good or bad.

Tadric Jackson: Tadric has the physical tools to impact regardless of his outside shot at this level when it comes to the defensive end. he may be a disappointment to some who expect him to get 13 a game but to me if he can defend the wing, get 5-7 ppg, im happy with that.

Last edited:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that this is assessment is right on the money.

As most of you already know by now, I'm a huge Tadric fan (probably my favorite player on the team and he hasn't seen a minute yet), but I really do think that a large part of our success/failure will depend on the play of Chris Bolden. He is one of the few upperclassmen in the backcourt, and we will lean on him for some leadership. It will be interesting to see if he has those characteristics. Based on what I saw last year, he really has to play with more control and take better care of the ball. If he is going to play reckless, let it be by shooting too many three's and less about runners in the lane.

Initially, it wouldn't surprise me to see Chris starting at the off-guard spot until Tadric gains a little confidence and takes hold of the position. Regardless, I think that both of these guys see a lot of minutes. The distribution will likely come down to who is playing best that night and the type of team that we are playing against. Bolden is the better long range shooter, but Tadric is much more capable of creating his own shot and for others. I think that Tadric is the better defender, and that might just be what ultimately earns him the starting job.

At the end of the day, I suspect that Bolden's impact will be bigger than that of Tadric, but the question, as P points out, is will it be positive or negative?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I would say that by conference play, if Tadric is not the guy playing at the end of the game, we are in a lot of trouble. Chris has been there and has not done that. as I recall.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
#11 no longer exists on this team. #11 Chris Bolden doesn't player here anymore.

However, there is a new kid on the block, kid can shoot the lights out, looks to have a bit higher release point and is going up a bit straighter (according to a practice photo I have recently seen) than #11 Chris Bolden.

He is, #2, Chris Bolden. I expect #2 CB to be far superior to #11 CB.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
As @Peacone36 and the President of the Tadric fan club (@connell62 ;) ) have pointed out, Bolden is likely to have the biggest impact. We really need him to be impactful for us.

Scoring will be our weakness once again. Bolden's shooting is paramount to our success otherwise we're in for more 40pt slug-it-out games. Nobody wants that.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
#11 no longer exists on this team. #11 Chris Bolden doesn't player here anymore.

However, there is a new kid on the block, kid can shoot the lights out, looks to have a bit higher release point and is going up a bit straighter (according to a practice photo I have recently seen) than #11 Chris Bolden.

Yeah, so the bolded portion was the only part of your post I could see initially. Thanks for the late afternoon heart attack. :dead:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I really hope @Peacone36 is right. We need Bolden to have a year more like his freshman season than last. As for Jackson, I have a wait and see attitude. He certainly has the potential to be an important guy in our offense. We need to see if his defense is good enough for him to be a net positive.

To be honest, I think MGH is the key for Bolden, and maybe Jackson, too. He needs to set the tone for the level of effort the team will give this year. Like our football team, there is not enough talent to take any opponent for granted, but maybe enough to beat any of them. We shall see.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really hope @Peacone36 is right. We need Bolden to have a year more like his freshman season than last. As for Jackson, I have a wait and see attitude. He certainly has the potential to be an important guy in our offense. We need to see if his defense is good enough for him to be a net positive.

To be honest, I think MGH is the key for Bolden, and maybe Jackson, too. He needs to set the tone for the level of effort the team will give this year. Like our football team, there is not enough talent to take any opponent for granted, but maybe enough to beat any of them. We shall see.

Possibly, the best summation of our team that I've seen.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer

Certainly hope you're right!

I pretty much agree with what everyones said about how Bolden is gonna be such a critical piece this season. I hope what we've heard in the offseason is true because he definitely has the talent if he has the right work ethic and focus to use it.

I'm a huge Tadric fan and although I don't think he'll come in and get 13 ppg I think he could have some huge games and will definitely be someone to go to in a scoring drought like we've seen happen the past few years. He definitely has a knack for scoring. What we've heard about how good is defense is is just an added bonus.

Hopefully both players can be key contributors in their own way

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
This is a tough one for me.

As we have all heard, CB has had a great off-season and seems to be peaking. I usually don't take too much stock into off-season news like that but this is one I believe. I think he is going to have a good year...my head tells me to pick Bolden...But there is just something there with Tadric Jackson that I really like...I think he is going to be such a good player for us.

So I will go with my gut....Tadric Jackson.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think I'm gonna go with Tadric. I just think he's gonna carry over a huge amount of winning attitude after being the unquestioned leader of a State Champion at the highest level.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think I'm gonna go with Tadric. I just think he's gonna carry over a huge amount of winning attitude after being the unquestioned leader of a State Champion at the highest level.

I think that the other thing to remember with Tadric is that he has always played with the big boys.. On the AAU circuit, he generally played with kids a year older than him, and when he was in 8th & 9th grade, he was dominating his age group. They were always playing on the national stage.

He has essentially played high-level AAU ball since he was in 9th grade. Once he acclimates to the college level, I think that he will be a key contributor for us. He will just affect the game in so many ways for us.. Even if he isn't scoring, he still makes winning plays. The think that I like most about him is that he usually plays his best in the big games...What you might call a Gamer!!

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Bolden doesn't hit me as mentally tough.TJ may be but as a Fr,he'll struggle some.
The only thing I believe about this team is they will be better in 2nd half than 1st.A classic case of "work in progress".