Big news for Pitt

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Star RB Russell Shell left the team to transfer to UCLA but it now looks like he wants to rejoin the Pitt team.

As a true Freshman he rushed for over 600 yards...he is a star in the making.

Unfortunately that means we have to face him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey think positive.  Could crowd the depth chart enough to drive our bback target (McKenzie?) away from Pitt.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Laskey rushed for over 600 yards as a true sophomore and put up better numbers in rushing and receiving in his first year playing BB.  Would that make him a star in the making?  Sims rushed for over 700 yards 2 years ago. Does that make him a star in the making?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Big difference in a true Freshmen and a RS Freshman or Sophomore.

If you have watched Shell you know how good he's going to be.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
There's that eye test vs. actual numbers. I prefer to look at actual numbers. People get caught up in his high school hype. Shell avg 4.2 YPC last year...not bad but nothing great either.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
wingsrlevel said:
There's that eye test vs. actual numbers. I prefer to look at actual numbers. People get caught up in his high school hype. Shell avg 4.2 YPC last year...not bad but nothing great either.

4.2 YPC as a true freshman is great...what did Sims and Laskey do as true Freshmen? One was third string DB and a punt returner while the other redshirted.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
If you consider last year as a true sophomore Laskey averaged 5.2 ypc....had more rushing and receiving yards than Shell while doing it in less carries. My point is Tech fans never seem to be happy with what they have... Even if it may be better than the perceived "stud"

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know anything about Shell but I'll play devil's advocate on the Laskey comparisons.  If our offense is as good as some stated and can make average players look good, then are we really comparing apples to apples by using YPC as the barometer?  Or is it possible there's more to it?

CJ Spiller averaged the same YPC as Adrian Peterson last year.

For what it's worth I love CPJ and our offense.  Just think this is becoming a pretty silly argument.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe that players make players look good....not a offense.  Players have to execute. I'm not taking anything away from Schell or Laskey or Sims but if you look at the whole bodies of work between them from last year and I think you should feel pretty good about what we have.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
wingsrlevel said:
If you consider last year as a true sophomore Laskey averaged 5.2 ypc....had more rushing and receiving yards than Shell while doing it in less carries. My point is Tech fans never seem to be happy with what they have... Even if it may be better than the perceived "stud"

Exactly...a Sophomore and a Freshman. Big difference in being in a college workout regime for over a year. 

I'm not sure where that point is coming from as I've stated before that Laskey is a very good player.

Let's see how Shell's numbers as a Sophomore compares to how Laskey did last year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My point is let's not look at numbers alone to decide who is better.  Really silly in college football with the number of schemes, opponents, teammates around them, etc.  I don't know who is better, Laskey or Shell, and I don't think this year's numbers will decide that either.  I like Laskey and am happy he's on GT.  Shell might be better but I do not foresee a fair way to compare unless one completely blows up or disappears.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
He wanted to stay in the area because of his twin daughters. Really sucks for this guy, PSU would be another place he could go and not be too far away but I doubt they'd take him with their scholarship restrictions.