BIG 10 expansion

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I posted this over on the rivals site too. It's from a convo I had with a good friend and what he passed along to me from a trusted friend in the Michigan athletic department. They were at the UM/Fla bowl game and sat with some well informed donors to the Michigan AA. The rumor floating around Ann Arbor and other B10 schools is the confrence is looking to expand soon. Oklahoma is one school they want badly. The other is one of 3 schools. Virginia, Va Tech and GT. I know it's info from a friend of a friend but this guy is tuned in pretty well with the athletic Dept and really has no reason to bs. My friend also said the donors also heard the same rumbling. Just thought I'd pass a GT story along from up here in the mid west. Mods if you want to delete feel free. Believe me I'm not here to troll or start a rumor so please don't beat me up to bad for posting this.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Oklahoma is one school they want badly. The other is one of 3 schools. Virginia, Va Tech and GT.

You lost me here. Oklahoma and VT are not AAU schools. The Big 10 isn't going to expand and add any schools that aren't in the AAU unless they're named Notre Dame. I think your friend got some bad info.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Could be. Just passing along what was going around the UM athletic office. I'm sure it's not happening but thought it was interesting enough to share.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
This has been going around for a while. The theory states that since the Big 10 tier 1 contract is up for Bid, they would need a Name brand to boost the revenue. Also to try and balance the divisions, they would ideally need this Name brand in the Western part of their division.

Hence Oklahoma is a natural choice. Combine that with the statements Oklahoma has made about not being happy with the Big 12 and wanting a championship game and you have smoke and fire.

Honestly at first I was really opposed to moving to the B1G, but I don't think Notre Dame will ever join the ACC, so now I'm for it, as it would secure GT's place in one of the top two conferences going forward.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm neutral on where GT winds up, but as to Squints comment, didn't the big Ten recently take in Nebraska, which (iirc) also wasn't an AAU member?

I believe that the Big Ten-AAU connection is badly overblown.....

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm neutral on where GT winds up, but as to Squints comment, didn't the big Ten recently take in Nebraska, which (iirc) also wasn't an AAU member?

I believe that the Big Ten-AAU connection is badly overblown.....
Nebraska was an AAU member when it entered the B1G, but subsequently left the AAU. IIRC!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The Big XII & ACC have grants of rights agreements in place. The ACC's runs until the end of the 2026-27 season. There will be no ACC teams heading anywhere until then. If they do, then all their tv money made in the new conference goes to the ACC. The B1G may well be looking at expanding, but it won't be doing it at the expense of the ACC any time soon...

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
My god aren't the conferences big enough already?! 14 in the ACC, B10, and SEC means you don't play teams in the other division for like 6 years. And our 15 in basketball is redic. How can any of theses conferences STILL be looking to expand? The only expansion that makes sense would be for the Big 12 to grab an AAC or Sun Belt team and W. Kentucky from Conference USA

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
The Big XII & ACC have grants of rights agreements in place. The ACC's runs until the end of the 2026-27 season. There will be no ACC teams heading anywhere until then. If they do, then all their tv money made in the new conference goes to the ACC. The B1G may well be looking at expanding, but it won't be doing it at the expense of the ACC any time soon...

I would counter that the ACC has Breached its Contract with GA Tech by continually putting incompetent Refs in our games (we could reference multiple times the ACC has had films sent by Paul Johnson showing issues and then the ACC coming back and admitting the Refs had blown calls against us). This has been ongoing and the ACC has done nothing to improve the quality of the Refs and it has cost us games, possibly Rankings, and maybe even enough wins to make a Bowl game this season.

Couple this with the fact that the ACC still hasn't started up the ACC Network, which has cost us hundreds of millions of dollars in revenues and I would argue that the ACC has Breached their Contract with us if we wanted to fight the Grants of Rights Agreement and wanted to change Conferences.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I would counter that the ACC has Breached its Contract with GA Tech by continually putting incompetent Refs in our games (we could reference multiple times the ACC has had films sent by Paul Johnson showing issues and then the ACC coming back and admitting the Refs had blown calls against us). This has been ongoing and the ACC has done nothing to improve the quality of the Refs and it has cost us games, possibly Rankings, and maybe even enough wins to make a Bowl game this season.

Couple this with the fact that the ACC still hasn't started up the ACC Network, which has cost us hundreds of millions of dollars in revenues and I would argue that the ACC has Breached their Contract with us if we wanted to fight the Grants of Rights Agreement and wanted to change Conferences.
Argue all you want. Those will never hold up in an actual argument.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
GT talked to the big 10 very actively a few years ago. This is not just BS or smoke......And we could do so again. GT is not tied to the ACC; and I have this direct quote from an Assoc AD.

In fact, ironically i mentioned it in my what would you do if you were AD post....since I know about this being an active topic in the AA.

the issue now, is the ACC buyout clause...its alot of $$ and basically now makes the move fiscally an issue if GT were to have to take that burden alone, vs the Big10 conf paying it out....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The Grants of Rights agreement is only for the television revenue at home games. If we were to join the B10, you wouldn't see a home game on the B10 network for 10 years. That's all there is to that.

I thought I also read that if a team left, they still got paid a portion of the TV rights from the ACC when their home games were televised. I could be mis-remembering this part.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The Grants of Rights agreement is only for the television revenue at home games. If we were to join the B10, you wouldn't see a home game on the B10 network for 10 years. That's all there is to that.

I thought I also read that if a team left, they still got paid a portion of the TV rights from the ACC when their home games were televised. I could be mis-remembering this part.

That's not how that works. If a team were to split, then all TV money made by team X would go to the ACC. Team X would receive "their" portion, but not a full share of shared TV revenues. Remember, that's the point of the GoR. Everyone shares the $ and it grants stability to the conference. The B1G is not about to bring in a team and give the TV money it makes off of that team back to the ACC. The estimated cost of leaving the ACC after signing the GoR is $300,000,000.00. That's like 300,000 Paul Hewitts on our payroll. GoR covers Tier I and Tier II as well, so it's more than just football.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

You could argue that, but you would lose. The ref problem affects every ACC team. (Hello Miami 8 lateral miracle) The ACC Network is still in the works, and the GoR was not contingent upon its implementation. We, as well as the rest of the ACC, aren't going anywhere until at least 2027.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Argue all you want. Those will never hold up in an actual argument.

And you graduated from Law School when? When I graduated from Law School (yes, I have a Juris Doctorate, and I had the top grades in Contract Law), the basic premise was that when you had the facts on your side, you argued the law on your side you argued the law but when you didn't, you argued the facts (if you couldn't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****). In Contract Law, there are several elements included that can be Breached by either Party, And failure to perform (non-performance) is a breach of contract as is breach of fiduciary responsibility.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Why do you have to go ruining everyone's fun with facts?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Of course they would want to make inroads in the South and Midwest. It would help their recruiting and TV network. I always wanted to date Raquel Welch at one time also. :)