Best Returning RB in the ACC

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Is Mills the best returning RB in the ACC for 2017? Cook and Hood are both gone, and the only returning RB with more yards than Mills last year is Mark Walton from Miami.

Mills had 771 yards last year with 12 TDs. He didn't play in 4 games, 3 of which were against the worst teams we saw all year. Mercer, Duke and Virginia. Not a stretch to say he would have been over 1000 if he had played in all the games.

Hope he stays out of trouble and has a good 2017 for him and Georgia Tech.

Leading Rushers in the ACC: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...stat/rushing/sort/rushingYards/year/2016/id/1

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As CPJ said many times, Mills can be a special player. It's up to him to do what he needs to. It also helps Mills that he will play behind probably the best and deepest OL group CPJ has had at GT...a group that will be together (for the most part) for the next couple of seasons.

Deleted member 2897

l41YfdYdptDB9RHIA.gif

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Travon McMillian may have a big year, VT may have to go to him more as new QB develops. Also FSU signed two very high rated RB's that may replace Cook.

Deleted member 2897

Travon McMillian may have a big year, VT may have to go to him more as new QB develops. Also FSU signed two very high rated RB's that may replace Cook.

I don't know how they did it, but FSU signed 2 of the top 3 running backs in the entire country. So odds are 1 of them (if not both combined) will stand out. But they are not returning (which is what the original item was about).

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Is Mills the best returning RB in the ACC for 2017? Cook and Hood are both gone, and the only returning RB with more yards than Mills last year is Mark Walton from Miami.

Mills had 771 yards last year with 12 TDs. He didn't play in 4 games, 3 of which were against the worst teams we saw all year. Mercer, Duke and Virginia. Not a stretch to say he would have been over 1000 if he had played in all the games.

Hope he stays out of trouble and has a good 2017 for him and Georgia Tech.

Leading Rushers in the ACC: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...stat/rushing/sort/rushingYards/year/2016/id/1

Don't know if Dedrick is the best or not. I do know that he is a safety or corner back worst nightmare. I am glad that Cook, Hood, Evans, Gallman and the rest of that crowd are out of our hair. Those are some good ball players that I would just as soon not ever see again

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know this much, there isn't a single back in the ACC that I would want to replace Mills with, considering what we do. That includes Marshall or any other current roster player we have either. I don't want to lose any of our kids, but if I were forced to, Mills would be the last I would let go.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I know this much, there isn't a single back in the ACC that I would want to replace Mills with, considering what we do. That includes Marshall or any other current roster player we have either. I don't want to lose any of our kids, but if I were forced to, Mills would be the last I would let go.

it's a 2 edged sword-- a FINE bback but he is also almost irreplaceable at this point

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Cook was badly underrated last year. He should have been 1st team AA for everybody. His OL was average and he ran away with most games anyhow.

Now as to Mills: I'm with Boom. I wouldn't trade Mills for anybody else coming up next year in the ACC. If he avoids injury - please, Jesus - then he could be another Adrian Peterson. But that'll depend on how the OL jells and how MJ works out at QB and whether the ABs keep playing up to snuff and whether the WRs do as well next year and …

You get the picture. Imho, with our O a single skill player, no matter how talented, is not going to make the difference. It's a matter of being able to plan to use Mills effectively and that will depend on how soon the O starts working effectively. Last year it took Will Worth 2.5 games to get his wheels under him and for the Mids O to get used to his style. I'm hoping that we can get over that hump in the spring and ride Mills and MJ to the promised land.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Cook was badly underrated last year. He should have been 1st team AA for everybody. His OL was average and he ran away with most games anyhow.

Now as to Mills: I'm with Boom. I wouldn't trade Mills for anybody else coming up next year in the ACC. If he avoids injury - please, Jesus - then he could be another Adrian Peterson. But that'll depend on how the OL jells and how MJ works out at QB and whether the ABs keep playing up to snuff and whether the WRs do as well next year and …

You get the picture. Imho, with our O a single skill player, no matter how talented, is not going to make the difference. It's a matter of being able to plan to use Mills effectively and that will depend on how soon the O starts working effectively. Last year it took Will Worth 2.5 games to get his wheels under him and for the Mids O to get used to his style. I'm hoping that we can get over that hump in the spring and ride Mills and MJ to the promised land.
I think we'll see a lot more "honesty" from defensive fronts next season because if they don't, MJ will eat them alive on the keeper. This will pay YUGE dividends for Mills (*and the pitch backs).

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
No offense to anyone but can we all please stop saying, hopefully he cleans up his act, or if he cleans up his act he can be very good. Its been talked about enough imo, he messed up but that's over now, can we please move forward.
Uh...no. We're GT and waiting for disaster around every corner.

We've seen it before and we'll see it again. There's still no guarantee that he returns.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
No offense to anyone but can we all please stop saying, hopefully he cleans up his act, or if he cleans up his act he can be very good. Its been talked about enough imo, he messed up but that's over now, can we please move forward.
The second we decide he will be ok, we are toast. There are countless examples...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The second we decide he will be ok, we are toast. There are countless examples...
it's just worrying about something we have no control over. I get what you are saying though, I just don't see the point in saying things about him over and over and over again. It's happened and there's nothing that can change it.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

Watch this film of JR Revere at QB and AP at BB. Montana was so concerned about AP between the tackles, that Revere hit big plays on the pitch and the pass. Revere was similar to MJ, I think, in athleticism, speed, and passing accuracy. He was solid at reads and pitches, not spectacular.

Having a dominant BB makes a lot of difference. DM shows the same ability that AP had to hit the hold quickly, shed contact and squirt into the clear.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
it's just worrying about something we have no control over. I get what you are saying though, I just don't see the point in saying things about him over and over and over again. It's happened and there's nothing that can change it.
Yup, I agree with you there. Only the player and people close to them know what is going on. Hopefully, they surround themselves with people that can help them push through. That's the only way I was able to graduate.