Best of game

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
other than the great defensive plays at the end by Smith and Moore, my favorite play was Howard taking it to the hole one time. If he could learn to do that more, it would keep the defense more honest and make Pastner’s
offense work better

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like, just to satisfy my curiosity, to see the following line-up for 10 minutes:

Smith-Kelly-Moore-Franklin-Howard

The team might have trouble scoring because defenses will pack it in down low. But we are not shooting great anyway. But I would like to see that line-up because I think we would be harder to score against.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like, just to satisfy my curiosity, to see the following line-up for 10 minutes:

The team might have trouble scoring because defenses will pack it in down low. But we are not shooting great anyway. But I would like to see that line-up because I think we would be harder to score against.
That lineup has only one outside shooter. As you said, defenses would be up tight on Kelly and the rest would be near the paint which would take away the drives by Moore and Smith. Defensively, the opposing team would spread us out and either kill us with three pointers or drive past us all day if we are in man to man. From a zone perspective I don't think we would have enough speed to cover the wings and corners. But we should be better at rebounding if they miss their shots so there's that.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Those are all very good points, but I would still like to see the line-up play to prove that you are right. For one thing, the team doesn't score well from the outside anyway. We are shooting 30% from 3. Deebo is at 33% and Terry is at 31% from three. So, less three point shooting might not be not be much of a change. Second, much of our offense is based on Deivon Smith breaking down the defense off the dribble. That can still move the defense even if it is packed in and I would like to see how Howard and Franklin can do in close quarters rather than Terry or Deebo. Finally, I think we are just too dang small for much of the ACC. We are getting shredded in the paint and on the glass. If neither Howard nor Franklin can defend the rim by themselves, maybe they can do it together.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow

Me too. I think that will have to come when the ACC games get going and things get tuff

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Those are all very good points, but I would still like to see the line-up play to prove that you are right. For one thing, the team doesn't score well from the outside anyway. We are shooting 30% from 3. Deebo is at 33% and Terry is at 31% from three. So, less three point shooting might not be not be much of a change. Second, much of our offense is based on Deivon Smith breaking down the defense off the dribble. That can still move the defense even if it is packed in and I would like to see how Howard and Franklin can do in close quarters rather than Terry or Deebo. Finally, I think we are just too dang small for much of the ACC. We are getting shredded in the paint and on the glass. If neither Howard nor Franklin can defend the rim by themselves, maybe they can do it together.
I guess it can't hurt to try but I still think that lineup is problematic. We have a tough time scoring as it is and taking shooters away won't help. Coleman may only be hitting 33% now but he is a good enough shooter that he requires the defense to extend. I'm betting that is shooting % is much high when wide open instead of contested. And with most of the teams in the ACC they have a stretch 4 who can shoot outside which would pull Franklin away from the basket whether we are in manor zone so I don't think you would see much of the two of them in close quarters as you desire. Finally, with the defense packed in since we don't have outside shooters on the floor I don't think there would be much room for Deivon to penetrate...he would be relegated to either shooting the three which is not his forte or dribbling around outside. I agree we are too small for most of the ACC but without a dominant man in the middle or a 4 who can shoot we have to rely on our shooters coming out of their slumps. I don't see much of a choice.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

The line up that I think we should run as our base is

Smith - Kelly - Coleman - Franklin - Howard with Sturdivant, Terry, and Moore. Always have at least one of Smith and Sturdivant in, and two of Moore/Franklin/Howard in. Base the offense around having two interior players. If Maxwell finds his stride he's competing with Terry and Sturdivant for the back up spot on the wings, and Meka can be used down low if foul trouble becomes an issue.

In theory going small makes sense because with Smith, Sturdivant, Coleman, Kelly, Maxwell, Terry and Moore seems like it could be overwhelming offensively if they get going, but right now they aren't going and we're trading off defense for little else. Also going small needs a bigger 5 than Franklin because teams just target us down low. IMO that needs to be a line up we go to once we already have a couple of guys going and we're looking to put on the pressure or when opposing teams 5 on the court allow for it.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
You can have perfect spacing with all your players being perfectly stationary. It isn't only about spacing, it is also about moving and working.

If you go back and watch some of those games from the mid-80s you will see that the game was played closer to the basket. There was a lot of congestion but teams scored. Basketball is more about creating leverage with footwork than it is about operating in open spaces. Maybe all of that started with isolations and Michael Jordan.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You can have perfect spacing with all your players being perfectly stationary. It isn't only about spacing, it is also about moving and working.

If you go back and watch some of those games from the mid-80s you will see that the game was played closer to the basket. There was a lot of congestion but teams scored. Basketball is more about creating leverage with footwork than it is about operating in open spaces. Maybe all of that started with isolations and Michael Jordan.
The 3 point shot combined with analytics is what changed the game the most.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you go back and watch some of those games from the mid-80s you will see that the game was played closer to the basket.

Turns out a lot has changed in 40 years.

Moore can be a great player for us. If he doesn't develop an outside shot he'll be a great player for us at the 4 spot. This isn't the mid 80s.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

Spacing isn't just about the players - it has really more to do with scheme. Our scheme brings everyone to the foul line/elbow and paint area and puts them in a phone booth. If we are stuck with this scheme then yea let's go with Moore at the 3 because he can drive a crowded lane better than anyone we have. If the ball moves the perimeter with folks moving and spacing (see VT and most other ACC teams) then no one guards Moore except when he is in the paint but Coleman gets looks from movement/dribble drive from an athletic Devion/kick outs. If you want to go to mid 80s think Dennis Scott - you were not going to ask him to drive the ball down a crowded lane but space the floor and let KA collapse the D and kick.

If we want the sophs to really flourish then put the ball in their hands on the perimeter and structure a scheme around that - don't force the ball to the elbow and collapse the offense to a phone booth in the lane.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Kind of like saying something like Dennis Scott was better than Kenny Anderson. Different roles and can’t really compare apples to apples.
We wish.

GT's offensive difficulties are not due to spacing or scheme but talent. We've got three guys who are dynamic enough to create offensively. But they are not so good that they can cover lack of production from the rest of the roster.. Some guys have upside, but are not producing enough to result in offensive efficiency.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We wish.

GT's offensive difficulties are not due to spacing or scheme but talent. We've got three guys who are dynamic enough to create offensively. But they are not so good that they can cover lack of production from the rest of the roster.. Some guys have upside, but are not producing enough to result in offensive efficiency.
We do not have top of the ACC talent but we have guys who could do more with a different scheme and spacing. Creating against a close out on the wing with an open lane is totally different than trying to create when you get the ball at the top of the key with your guy going under a handoff and the opposing 5 sitting in the lane. Offense isn't just throw the ball out and say create - it spaces and moves to help the players you have. Don't ask Coleman to drive a crowded lane but move him off a couple of screens and hit him in stride or clear the lane so a defender has to go help on a drive by Devion and get Coleman a kickout. Not all offense is one on one create your shot - or shouldn't be.

If you can't see the difference in what we try to do versus a VT or others I don't know what to tell you