Best of both worlds

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Can you imagine what would have happened if CPJ had been more of fired-up, marketing/recruiting guy intensely interested in owning the 404?

Or what if CGC had some of CPJ's unique, offensive genius, knew how to manage his timeouts, and could make good mid-game adjustments?

JacketFan137

Banned
if paul johnson was more endearing to the media and tried to be like that just a little more (not asking him to make a fool out of himself) he would probably still be here. going 24-25 the last 4 years while being so indifferent about upselling the program is probably what eventually got him politely shown the door.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Can you imagine what would have happened if CPJ had been more of fired-up, marketing/recruiting guy intensely interested in owning the 404?

Or what if CGC had some of CPJ's unique, offensive genius, knew how to manage his timeouts, and could make good mid-game adjustments?

... "Wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts?" ;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Look up: Jamey Chadwell. HC Coastal Carolina.

X's and O's acumen, with the good parts of CGC's social media campaigns and marketing (without the annoying stuff).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well, actually, my point is NOT about the past but about what we do in the future.

Each coach had failings. A blend of both skills is necessary in our next hire.
Are we shopping at Family Dollar or Dollar General? We can find coaches that will accept our offer.

I have already been declared the contest winner = First to say - "i hate the new coach"

Going for another win.

Our new hire will require a long term contract. " i hate the new contract - too much guaranteed. "

Is it UP OR OUT time ?

Go big or go long is our only decesion.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
if paul johnson was more endearing to the media and tried to be like that just a little more (not asking him to make a fool out of himself) he would probably still be here. going 24-25 the last 4 years while being so indifferent about upselling the program is probably what eventually got him politely shown the door.
That narrative has been debunked by many coaches. You must not remember O’Leary. Just one of many examples.

JacketFan137

Banned
That narrative has been debunked by many coaches. You must not remember O’Leary. Just one of many examples.
has if really been debunked? paul didn’t have as many people in his camp as it appears he does now. i remember a lot of people pretty soured after the 2018 season and paul wasn’t exactly someone to go out of his way to try to save face. he just wanted to run his offense and golf.

he wasnt there to make friends and i think if he did try a little harder in that respect he may have been around a little longer

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

He would have been at Nebraska or USC

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
In his defense, even after three ACCCG appearances and two Orange Bowls, he was still getting negative questions and treatment.
However ... he rarely, if ever, turned down an interview request. If someone wanted his time, he gave it. Yeah, he could be brusque and *****ly but he was also accommodating as possible.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Seeing as he left a million on th table when he left. Its highly unlikely he was shown any door. You don't do that if you are shown the door.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
has if really been debunked? paul didn’t have as many people in his camp as it appears he does now. i remember a lot of people pretty soured after the 2018 season and paul wasn’t exactly someone to go out of his way to try to save face. he just wanted to run his offense and golf.

he wasnt there to make friends and i think if he did try a little harder in that respect he may have been around a little longer

The bolded is true. He turned off a lot of big donors that wanted to be schmoozed...CPJ just didn't want to play the game off the field. It was one of the parts of coaching CPJ despised...he was revered at GSU and Navy, and winning big was enough at those places. It's why Bobinski had some big donors behind his scheme to starve CPJ of resources until he would finally quit. It almost worked.

CPJ quit on his own volition. He could have made GT buy him out, but he did not. GT should be more grateful for that seeing as what's going on now.

JacketFan137

Banned
Seeing as he left a million on th table when he left. Its highly unlikely he was shown any door. You don't do that if you are shown the door.
idk i’ve heard different things. i don’t think it was all paul gracefully stepping down. i don’t think it was tech forcing him out. people i know that were a little closer to the situation have always suggested it was in the middle.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
idk i’ve heard different things. i don’t think it was all paul gracefully stepping down. i don’t think it was tech forcing him out. people i know that were a little closer to the situation have always suggested it was in the middle.

IMO, the bigger takeaway is CPJ could have just coasted and made GT buy him out. He did not do that because he has integrity.

Unfortunately, the money we save by not having to buy out CPJ will be wasted on CGC's buyout.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The bolded is true. He turned off a lot of big donors that wanted to be schmoozed...CPJ just didn't want to play the game off the field. It was one of the parts of coaching CPJ despised...he was revered at GSU and Navy, and winning big was enough at those places. It's why Bobinski had some big donors behind his scheme to starve CPJ of resources until he would finally quit. It almost worked.

CPJ quit on his own volition. He could have made GT buy him out, but he did not. GT should be more grateful for that seeing as what's going on now.

I have a family friend who has been a season ticket holder since before I was born and he hated CPJ because he insisted CPJ was rude to him at some shmoozing event. He was calling for him to be fired ever since. I asked him at the tailgate Saturday “would you rather the coach begrudgingly shake your hand and go to the OB and beat UGA a few times or the coach high five you and small talk with a big smile on his face and get outscored 100-0 to end the season?” He didn’t give me an answer.

JacketFan137

Banned
I have a family friend who has been a season ticket holder since before I was born and he hated CPJ because he insisted CPJ was rude to him at some shmoozing event. He was calling for him to be fired ever since. I asked him at the tailgate Saturday “would you rather the coach begrudgingly shake your hand and go to the OB and beat UGA a few times or the coach high five you and small talk with a big smile on his face and get outscored 100-0 to end the season?” He didn’t give me an answer.
ideally you have neither. one of the first things dabo did was go straight to the boosters to schmooze. clemson’s funding grew and the success that followed compounded that. that is a huge part of the game and paul johnson’s refusal to do that was a legitimate criticism that probably held us back.

collins was too far on the other end. too much salesman not enough football. hopefully we work in a direction that has a guy competent at both.

our fans and boosters need something to spark them back into caring and we have to also show after that we can deliver results