Best game you have seen at Grant field?

GT Notre Dame 1976 - my freshman year. We beat them without completing a pass - not sure we even attempted one. I remember dancing in front of the GT cheerleaders after the game. Amazing I can remember anything after how much rum consumed - I know should have been whiskey. Speaking of the GT cheerleaders, why don't we do the differential X, differential Y cheer anymore?
"Differential X, Differential Y" evolved into "Differential Y, Differential X". We don't do either of those anymore, but do cheerleaders actually do any kind of organized cheers anymore, other than "Yellow"....."Jacket"?

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You are right Super, it was diff Y, diff X - had to be to rhyme. Anyway I believe they were still doing it in 82 when I graduated

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan
They've both been mentioned plenty in this thread, but I had a lot of fun at the 2013 UNC Rain Game, and of course I enjoyed the 2011 Clemson game. Excited to finally have them back home this year.

Best away game I've ever been to was probably Auburn in '05. Also my first Tech game. From then on, Calvin Johnson was a childhood sports hero for me (I'm a good bit younger than a bunch of you folks, nearing the end of my undergrad).

Having never seen the Jackets win against UGA in person, I've made it a personal mission to attend every GT-UGA game until I do (and probably thereafter), no matter the odds and no matter where I'm living after I graduate. Then I can finally tack one of those games onto the list.

You are right Super, it was diff Y, diff X - had to be to rhyme. Anyway I believe they were still doing it in 82 when I graduated
"Diff Y, Diff X" came after the original "Diff X, Diff Y" cheer. The original went ---

Differential X, Differential Y,
A-squared, B-squared, Integral of Pi.
Engineers Touchdown; Engineers Yell.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, FIGHT LIKE HELL!!

The revised one went ---

Differential Y, Differential X.
To Hell with Differentials;
We Want Sex.

The revised one was funny, but you just can't beat the original one for, well, originality.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The loudest (in 50 yrs)was the 09 Vt game
A great one from 72? was Jimmy Robinson catch beating Unc 29-28 .
The uga FOG game in 85.
The Def battle 6-3 over Tenn in 66.
The Notre dame "tie" game in 74?
the uga OT game in 98 when Oleary went for field goal on THIRD down ,was blocked, so then had another shot.Smart,real smart-you don't have to play college fball to be smart

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
the uga OT game in 98 when Oleary went for field goal on THIRD down ,was blocked, so then had another shot.Smart,real smart-you don't have to play college fball to be smart

That game was in 99. 98 was a field goal winner as time expired at the cesspool.

And yes that was a hell of a game (on TV for me). Mutts blocked it, but did not get the ball. Second time was the charm. 51 - 48.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
This one is easy for me... The 1990 game against Clemson was the best football game I've ever seen in person.

It was an equally matched game that was a physical brutality for all involved.

The game ended with Kevin Battle, Coleman Rudolph, and the rest of the defense holding Clemson out of the endzone on 4 consecutive plays inside the 5.

As a fan, it would be hard to imagine a more compelling match up as we saw that day.

I was there... in the North stands, watching that defense hold CU out of the end zone. What you neglected to mention, Clemson had the ball on ~13 yard line and took three downs to get a first at about 3 immediately prior to the series you mention. I've never seen all 11 players on a unit so tired. They hardly celebrated after getting the ball on downs; just drug their amazing butts off the field.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Very true GTL... I was exhausted myself after that game... GT football has given me so many moments of intense intense enjoyment and pride, but none greater than that day. I'm still not sure which was the better team that day. I do know that both teams left it on the field and our guys just would not be defeated.

Side note: Wasn't that the day the walk-on kid ran a kick off back to the 8-10 yard line? We scored after that and "The Stand" followed... His name might have been Kevin Tisdell??

Wish I could find a recording of that game... It is the foundation of my best memories and sentiment for Tech football

Animal02

Banned
GT #25/ UVA #7 1998 - GT comes back from trailing 38-17 to win 41-38, win a UVA 54 yd field goal attempt falling just short as time expired. Many had left the stadium in the 3rd quarter with Tech trailing........students rushed the field after the game and tore down the goal posts.

It was my first game on campus since graduating in '83

jacket1515

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't get back to campus much these days, but Auburn '03 was epic. Nobody, and I mean nobody expected us to win that game. You could feel the electricity in the stadium as the clock started ticking down in the 4th quarter.....one of those "oh my God we're actually going to do it" type feelings.

The South goalpost fell right into my waiting arms and I "rode" it all the way to the North endzone......great day.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The '99 OT double field goal vs. uga. I was in the upper west stands. The look on all those dwags faces was priceless.

There are so many good choices. I am very proud to have been there for many of those games, but not many recently. Hopefully, we will add a few more to the list in the next few weeks.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was there... in the North stands, watching that defense hold CU out of the end zone. What you neglected to mention, Clemson had the ball on ~13 yard line and took three downs to get a first at about 3 immediately prior to the series you mention. I've never seen all 11 players on a unit so tired. They hardly celebrated after getting the ball on downs; just drug their amazing butts off the field.
Do you know if there is any video of that full defensive stand.

I remember it was a TV game because I watched it live from a friend's house in South Carolina.

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan
99 - 51-48,,quitsy vs Joe Ham.....THE LAST TIME WE HAVE BEATEN UGA AT BOBBY DODD!!!!!!
All of the joy in that crazy game still can not make up for all of the heart wrenching losses to those MFrs!!
I grew up a GT fan in this state so yes, I harbor ill feelings for the dawgies....I guess im one of those who hate losing more than i like winning. Losing up 20 last year HURT....had a ton of good uga friends at our tailgate......

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Don't get back to campus much these days, but Auburn '03 was epic. Nobody, and I mean nobody expected us to win that game. You could feel the electricity in the stadium as the clock started ticking down in the 4th quarter.....one of those "oh my God we're actually going to do it" type feelings.

The South goalpost fell right into my waiting arms and I "rode" it all the way to the North endzone......great day.

the most fun was seeing the awbern fans leave the new North upper BEFORE the game was over,sweet