Best defense

Deleted member 4558

Tennessee 3 and Gt 6 on Game of the week - epic defensive battle where both teams had good offenses.
This was the game that made me a life long Tech fan. W J Blane and Randall Edmunds were linebackers on that team. Listened on the radio to Al Ciraldo. I was doing the yard work at our home off Wieuca Road in north Atlanta. I was 13 years old. Just turned 70.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This was the game that made me a life long Tech fan. W J Blane and Randall Edmunds were linebackers on that team. Listened on the radio to Al Ciraldo. I was doing the yard work at our home off Wieuca Road in north Atlanta. I was 13 years old. Just turned 70.
Both teams undefeated and ranked in top 10.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
What he said. The 1990 team was probably the best but, the 1970 team was the hardest hitting team I can remember reflecting the mindset of the coach at the time. Bud Carson, later the architect of the Pittsburgh Steelers "Steel Curtain" defense believed in outhitting and out conditioning the other team. The Black Watch teams were hard hitters as well with Roof, Anderson, and hard hitting defensive back Cleve Pounds. For my money the best at getting to the quarterback were the Chan Gailey teams with constant blitzing by Phillip Wheeler, Kai Michael Hall, and Albany's very own Darryl Smith among others. Athlon used to have a section where opposing coaches talked about the team being profiled, anon. of course. One of the coaches said about that team: "The bastards come from everywhere" so they did. They once sacked a Miami quarterback in a huge upset nine times in a game. It's a wonder the poor fellow could still walk off the field.
Cleve Pounds could flat lay some wood. Hardest hitting DB I have ever seen. He seemed to accelerate into the tackle. Wheeler was really really good too.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
imo, that team was loaded w talent.

Randall was naturally strong.
after i helped him and some players with the easy calc class , they gave me bread / peanut butter from training table.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Cleve Pounds could flat lay some wood. Hardest hitting DB I have ever seen. He seemed to accelerate into the tackle. Wheeler was really really good too.

That Clemson game was epic. A Clemson player was quoted in saying that he thought they could score on Tech's defense. Ken Swilling said he knew we would win after hearing that quote because he said they thought they could score NOT that they could win.
When Ken Swilling talked...people listened. With apologies to EF Hutton.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
In 1970 we beat Clemson 28-7. My fuzzy recollection is that the game was tied 7-7 at the end of the third. Carson's defense set up or scored 21 4th quarter points to win. That may not be 100% accurate, but it was something like that.

Of course, holding wasn't legal then like it is now.

Wasn’t Jeff Ford on that team?

Yep.

For you youngsters, Billy Kinard & Gary Faulkner set the standards for hard-hitting DBs...... and the one you never heard of, Rick Cornwell, was probably the hardest hitter in that last '60s/early '70s era.

Brent "Scooter" Cunningham also went off for a GT then-record 217 yards rushing that day vs Clemson in '70.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yep.

For you youngsters, Billy Kinard & Gary Faulkner set the standards for hard-hitting DBs...... and the one you never heard of, Rick Cornwell, was probably the hardest hitter in that last '60s/early '70s era.

Brent "Scooter" Cunningham also went off for a GT then-record 217 yards rushing that day vs Clemson in '70.
And I believe Jeff Ford still has the record for longest interception return for a TD, unofficially 104 yards.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I remember in 1970 as a rat in the rain,,
Rick Lewis, on defense, scored two TDs to beat Tulane 20-6,,, He also had a big interception to set up the final score.

With the Rock, Smylie, Lewis, etc., the defense was as tough as they come!
I remember what Playboy said about Rock when he was named AA: "Perdoni terrorized quarterbacks last year." True and nobody did that better in all Tech history.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I remember in 1970 as a rat in the rain,,
Rick Lewis, on defense, scored two TDs to beat Tulane 20-6,,, He also had a big interception to set up the final score.

With the Rock, Smylie, Lewis, etc., the defense was as tough as they come!
I still remember listening on the radio to that Notre Dame game. We lost, 10-7, but we gave them what for the entire game before wearing out at the end. I don't recall how many times they had 4th and 1 and we stuffed them, but it seemed like more than once....