Best defense

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
So I posted this on another website but, what did you think the best defense to step on the flats has been after 1969? Cause I think that defenses have become more changers over the years and athletes are better.

slugboy

Staff member
1990. Look at the Citrus Bowl, for example. You did not want to run a crossing pattern against those guys.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
"I think 1970 was a pretty darn good defense. That was the hardest hitting Tech team I have ever seen."....Northeast Stinger

Agree, but I'm prejudiced.... Look for this crowd at the Pitt game, Oct 2nd.
I hope they'll be hunting heads. That game was unholy for so many reasons

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
In 1970 we beat Clemson 28-7. My fuzzy recollection is that the game was tied 7-7 at the end of the third. Carson's defense set up or scored 21 4th quarter points to win. That may not be 100% accurate, but it was something like that.

Of course, holding wasn't legal then like it is now.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In 1970 we beat Clemson 28-7. My fuzzy recollection is that the game was tied 7-7 at the end of the third. Carson's defense set up or scored 21 4th quarter points to win. That may not be 100% accurate, but it was something like that.

Of course, holding wasn't legal then like it is now.
That defense held teams to under 300 yards total offense. Run defense in particular was brutal. Held Notre Dams to 10 points.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So I posted this on another website but, what did you think the best defense to step on the flats has been after 1969? Cause I think that defenses have become more changers over the years and athletes are better.
Well, it depends on how you measure them,
1970, 1978, 1985, 1990, 1998, 2008. All very good defenses for Tech and the records for those years back that up.
But when it is the third quarter of your 5th game before you allow an offensive TD by the opposition...well that is your winner. 1990.
What he said. The 1990 team was probably the best but, the 1970 team was the hardest hitting team I can remember reflecting the mindset of the coach at the time. Bud Carson, later the architect of the Pittsburgh Steelers "Steel Curtain" defense believed in outhitting and out conditioning the other team. The Black Watch teams were hard hitters as well with Roof, Anderson, and hard hitting defensive back Cleve Pounds. For my money the best at getting to the quarterback were the Chan Gailey teams with constant blitzing by Phillip Wheeler, Kai Michael Hall, and Albany's very own Darryl Smith among others. Athlon used to have a section where opposing coaches talked about the team being profiled, anon. of course. One of the coaches said about that team: "The bastards come from everywhere" so they did. They once sacked a Miami quarterback in a huge upset nine times in a game. It's a wonder the poor fellow could still walk off the field.

Scubapro

Banned
What he said. The 1990 team was probably the best but, the 1970 team was the hardest hitting team I can remember reflecting the mindset of the coach at the time. Bud Carson, later the architect of the Pittsburgh Steelers "Steel Curtain" defense believed in outhitting and out conditioning the other team. The Black Watch teams were hard hitters as well with Roof, Anderson, and hard hitting defensive back Cleve Pounds. For my money the best at getting to the quarterback were the Chan Gailey teams with constant blitzing by Phillip Wheeler, Kai Michael Hall, and Albany's very own Darryl Smith among others. Athlon used to have a section where opposing coaches talked about the team being profiled, anon. of course. One of the coaches said about that team: "The bastards come from everywhere" so they did. They once sacked a Miami quarterback in a huge upset nine times in a game. It's a wonder the poor fellow could still walk off the field.
I didn't see the 69-70 teams but the Black Watch with Pat Swilling was fun to watch. Of course the '90 defense was fantastic. It was one of those defenses that took a few years after to truly appreciate exactly how good they were.
Talking about the Miami QB made me think about Jason Campbell from Allbarn. He took such a beating he could have filed for long term disability.

Scubapro

Banned
Well, it depends on how you measure them,
1970, 1978, 1985, 1990, 1998, 2008. All very good defenses for Tech and the records for those years back that up.
But when it is the third quarter of your 5th game before you allow an offensive TD by the opposition...well that is your winner. 1990.
That Clemson game was epic. A Clemson player was quoted in saying that he thought they could score on Tech's defense. Ken Swilling said he knew we would win after hearing that quote because he said they thought they could score NOT that they could win.

slugboy

Staff member
I think COFH has been on TV for ages, but it’s hard for me to remember how long it’s been televised. In the 1970’s and 80’s, GT on TV was a rare, rare thing, and 640 AM provided several watts of radio broadcast power. There used to be only a few college games on Saturday. That at GT-Tenn game got TV coverage is amazing.

Gray Fox

GT Athlete
in terms of scoring defense will be hard to argue against the '85 team. No one will recall the '91 defense but it was pretty good (minus the PSU game)

PPG allowed and national rank:

1970 - 13.8 (23rd)
1985 - 11.0 (3rd)
1990 -15.5 (10th)
1991 - 16.5 (22nd)
1998 - 24.6 (50th) (but 7 defensive scores?)