Being a follower of Jesus and a sports fan

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
For those of you who, like me, are followers of Jesus and also happen to be sports fans, here is a great article:
http://erlc.com/article/does-sports-fandom-help-or-hurt-our-walk-with-jesus

Like any good thing, being a sports fan can quickly become an idol, so I have to be careful about the amount of time I spend pursuing sports and the attitude I have about it, but I have found sports (and GT sports in particular) to be a (mostly) positive thing for me. I would love to hear what others might think!

GTFan62

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been struggling with the same thing. I love college sports (especially GT football and basketball) and try not to miss any event on TV. It is hard keeping it in perspective. My relationship with Jesus is so much more important.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Interesting article Buzz. Thanks for sharing.

Like the author I would caution the sports fan to keep sports in its place. Sports are way down on the list of things that are truly important. One cannot be "pure in heart" and "hate" the opponent.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As a Sunday School teacher, straight from the Bible of course, FB season is pretty tough. We have a lot of great members that are Dog fans. I can pretty much guess church attendance based on the outcome of Saturday night games.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
As a Sunday School teacher, straight from the Bible of course, FB season is pretty tough. We have a lot of great members that are Dog fans. I can pretty much guess church attendance based on the outcome of Saturday night games.
It can be the same sometimes at my church but for the most part we're all pretty good sports. That's probably since we have a wide variety of fandom here (LSU, Tennessee, ugag, GT, and South Carolina every once in a while)

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
It is good for a person to have a balanced life, however, we should always strive to keep our priorities in perspective. As a Christian, God would be my top priority, but it does not mean I would have to give up attending games or watching the games. It is up to me to make sure the games do not consume me and destroy the lives of my loved ones and duties to others. There are some who impart Christian morals to the youngsters they coach at the different levels. All of life must be managed by priorities, but it is not always necessary to give up something that you enjoy if it does not interfere with proper priorities.