Beer Sales at FCS schools

Should Tech sell Beer at Bobby Dodd Stadium?

• Yes

Votes: 68 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Animal02

Banned
The original discussion was around the financial benefits to Tech. To that end it's hard to debate that beer would be a bad thing as it's easy to break even on draught beer or plastic containers.

From there folks start looking at the natural direct and indirect consequences as it relates to personal and overall gameday experiences. I don't think you're going to find data supporting an argument one way or the other there. All I can offer is that I am 100% certain that beer sales will at minimum get a few people I know to the game earlier and they will not be obnoxious as a result.

Similarly if folks are looking for data as it relates to alcohol-related offenses, I'm speculating that folks will find little. There is one article posted in this thread that insinuates beer sales actually curtail bad behavior, but that article is not the end-all be-all.

For those reasons I default to anecdotal comparisons of GT versus other like venues. In my 15 years of going to most Syracuse football (and basketball) games and sitting in the upper deck, many of which at the time carried similar-sized crowds to Bobby Dodd, I do not recall any over-consumption of beer at the venue. Folks had already made their decisions about what state of mind they wanted to be in pre-game and the beer sales at the Carrier Dome did not perpetuate any of those issues. And there are minimal public transportation options in upstate NY - only buses that are not far reaching.

Just one opinion of course.

It appears that allowing sales of alcohol at games is up to the president.
http://policies.gatech.edu/book/export/html/1350

I have no problem with it as long as it is at concession stands only and not sold in the seats. You could even have discount prices before kickoff to encourage people to get to the stadium earlier.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Im a recovering addict of all sorts of junk including alcohol. Im just calling it like I see it. Most of the student section are drinkers. Most of the older part of the fanbase are a little more calm and collected. The middle aged folks either go one way or the other. I personally havent witnessed too many people that id consider out of control. Some of my family are the ones that are on the drunkard side of the coin so I get that side. Heck I used to get plastered too. I think a good chunk of our fanbase could use a pickmeup during the games. I , like you, want to see folks up and screaming every chance they get. But the fact of the matter is... its not like that normally. I think the sale of beer in the stadium would slow down the over drinkers and pick up the ones who dont want to smuggle alcohol inside the stadium. Im also a proponent for a daggum smoking section for us smokers. Most of us get as far away from the crowd as we can to enjoy a quick smoke, and youd think we were planting bombs the way they react to it. I understand non-smokers are the majority and making them happy is first and foremost, but we have absolutely no give and take which is a little ridiculous. Going 4+ hours without a single puff is pretty tough. They need to look into accommodating in some way shape or form. IMO
Thanks for not getting angry with me. And thanks for letting me use your post as a jumping in place. Good discussion.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It appears that allowing sales of alcohol at games is up to the president.
http://policies.gatech.edu/book/export/html/1350

I have no problem with it as long as it is at concession stands only and not sold in the seats. You could even have discount prices before kickoff to encourage people to get to the stadium earlier.
I like the discount before kick off idea to get people in their seats. If selling beer comes to pass I hope this also becomes standard practice. Heck, I might even be in favor of raising the price for beer after half time and cutting off the sale of beer by the start of the 4th quarter. We could do all kinds of social engineering here. :smuggrin:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I voted no, but I am not passionate about it one way or the other. For me personally, alcohol and sunshine / heat don't mix. You will not find me drinking at a day game. If it were a night game, possibly so, but I doubt it because I never drink and drive. When at home, where I have been forced to watch GT games for the last 25 years, I always have a scotch of my choice flowing when the game is played. It is in the fight song for goodness sake. For me, it is tradition.

I don't deny the revenue stream would be a shot in the arm financially for the AA. For me, it is hard to predict what the end result would be in terms of fan behavior. I don't have a clue. Heck, maybe we should give it away so we can fill the stadium!

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I voted no, but I am not passionate about it one way or the other. For me personally, alcohol and sunshine / heat don't mix. You will not find me drinking at a day game. If it were a night game, possibly so, but I doubt it because I never drink and drive. When at home, where I have been forced to watch GT games for the last 25 years, I always have a scotch of my choice flowing when the game is played. It is in the fight song for goodness sake. For me, it is tradition.

I don't deny the revenue stream would be a shot in the arm financially for the AA. For me, it is hard to predict what the end result would be in terms of fan behavior. I don't have a clue. Heck, maybe we should give it away so we can fill the stadium!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Fwiw, Scotch isn't in Ramblin Wreck which mentions moonshine (clear whiskey, unaged in barrel) in verse 1 and Rum in verse 3.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

If they gave beer away you'd have to change the Ramblin' Wreck fight song to 'What Do You Do To A Drunken Sailor'. I ought to know I was a drunken sailor :D

18344_1128647074922_4336120_n.jpg

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think that means "I drink it straight" (e.g., without ice or mixer). I don't think it means moonshine.

I know one name for whiskey straight from the still is "clear whiskey." I've never heard "clear" as an alternative to "straight." Can you provide any evidence of that expression or is it just your inference/guess?

Animal02

Banned
I know one name for whiskey straight from the still is "clear whiskey." I've never heard "clear" as an alternative to "straight." Can you provide any evidence of that expression or is it just your inference/guess?

I have always understood it to mean straight or "neat" Since Ramblin Wreck originated from "Son of a Gambolier" which has been around since the mid 1800's long before moonshine became popular.....I do not believe the "whiskey clear" has any reference to moonshine.

Animal02

Banned

See my post above.....the Braves did that back in the late '70s to beef up attendance.....they were as bad as Tech football at the time.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have always understood it to mean straight or "neat" Since Ramblin Wreck originated from "Son of a Gambolier" which has been around since the mid 1800's long before moonshine became popular.....I do not believe the "whiskey clear" has any reference to moonshine.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Um, all whiskey starts as clear. You didn't need prohibition for people to distill their own booze without aging it. Clear whiskey was even bottled and sold, even by George Washington.

In Son of Gambolier, the rambling rake of poverty drinks his lager beer and takes his whiskey clear. I don't think the point is "without ice"

Still, if you can show any use of "clear" for neat or straight, I'd like to see it. Also, did you come to this understanding of the song from otherwise knowing this usage or just guessing?

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
There's also this stuff:
BourbonPixes071.JPG

...that is terrible.

Back to the argument of games getting out of hand from too many drunks, does no one here realize GT reserves the right to refuse sales?

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Back to the argument of games getting out of hand from too many drunks, does no one here realize GT reserves the right to refuse sales?

Exactly. I voted yes because I believe that beer sales would, if handled properly, actually contribute to a family atmosphere, discourage smuggling, discourage chugging, help get people in earlier and get them to stay for the whole game, and discourage over-the-top tailgating.

I don't know if this would matter or not, but one doesn't generally tailgate for baseball games (correct? I haven't been in ages). Allowing beer sales would let those hardcore tailgaters who want to get wasted do so, but would "take the pressure off", so to speak, of those who want a reasonable buzz without getting obnoxious.

I was a NASCAR fan for many years and it didn't take but one late July Talladega race for me to learn the following protocol: 1) drink until the race was about 1/2 to 2/3 over; 2) switch to water; 3) then in the car have a water jug with several Goody's powders premixed in and drink that in the traffic jam on the way home.

Worked like a charm and I'd be surprised if some August noon-kickoff attendees don't do the same thing.

Im also a proponent for a daggum smoking section for us smokers. Most of us get as far away from the crowd as we can to enjoy a quick smoke, and youd think we were planting bombs the way they react to it. I understand non-smokers are the majority and making them happy is first and foremost, but we have absolutely no give and take which is a little ridiculous.

I'll agree 100%. I'm ex but it's outside, for crying out loud. Just don't accidentally burn a hole in someone's $75 jersey, and leave it at that. Smoking is not illegal and outdoors I cannot see it as being a problem. MO only.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What I had always thought also.