Beer Sales at FCS schools

Should Tech sell Beer at Bobby Dodd Stadium?

• Yes

Votes: 68 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I voted no. If you want to drink in the stadium, smuggle it in yourself. Don't rely on others to bring it in and then meekly purchase it from them as if the outcome were any different. This is college! We don't "purchase" alcohol, we sneak it in past an army of security guards armed to the teeth with riot gear and equipped with chemical sniffers and full-body MRI and alcohol-seeking drones. In broad daylight with a confidence that only comes drinking half of what you meant to smuggle in.

Sell beer in the stadium all you want. I'm good.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea, and it's been working successfully for 20+ years at FBS and P5 schools with on-campus stadiums.

Regulate it like other major sporting events, stop sales at the end of the 3rd quarter, and don't serve anyone overly intoxicated.

There will be people who take it too far, but many of those are the same people who already finds ways around current restrictions.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows others that leisurely arrive to games during the 1st and 2nd quarters because the tailgate experience takes priority for them.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Is it my imagination or does Tech not have a choice on this? I thought all D1 schools are restricted from selling beer in the stadium by some form of mutual agreement such as under an NCAA restriction?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Is it my imagination or does Tech not have a choice on this? I thought all D1 schools are restricted from selling beer in the stadium by some form of mutual agreement such as under an NCAA restriction?

Your imagination, and it's probably due to others who have projected a similar misunderstanding. Syracuse has been selling beer since I remember going to games in the 80's, and the Carrier Dome is an on-campus stadium.

Maybe the ACC had its own rule at one point - I'm not able to speak to that - but Syracuse continues to sell beer today.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope. There are a few schools that sell it in stadiums on campus. West Virginia is one.

Edited to add: And FYI, each person sitting in club seats at BDS@HGF gets 2 beers or cups of wine as part of their ticket price....just walk back into the club lounge and pick em up. IIRC, they do ask you to drink them inside the lounge and not back at your seat...but that's probably just so that the peasants in non-club seats don't riot. :wacky:

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow

Georgia State sells beer at their games.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I voted no. If you want to drink in the stadium, smuggle it in yourself. Don't rely on others to bring it in and then meekly purchase it from them as if the outcome were any different. This is college! We don't "purchase" alcohol, we sneak it in past an army of security guards armed to the teeth with riot gear and equipped with chemical sniffers and full-body MRI and alcohol-seeking drones. In broad daylight with a confidence that only comes drinking half of what you meant to smuggle in.

Sell beer in the stadium all you want. I'm good.
But this would be illegal and any student caught doing this is an immoral human and should be stripped of all their scholarships to attend Tech.

BranMart

Georgia Tech Fan
If it is sold on the inside, the likely would look harder at the folks trying to sneak it in. I don't care either way. Drink pre and post game, and watch and cheer during. But if there is a beer guy walking around I would partake, and probably not have to shotgun one at the gate.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
http://footballperspectives.org/alcohol-and-football-crowd-behaviour
Bans on alcohol consumption on transport often meant that fans simply took different modes of transport to matches allowing them to drink, or would set off earlier in order to drink before the match. Bans on the sale of alcohol in stadia usually had the effect of fans engaging in ‘binge drinking’ beforehand in order to achieve a level of intoxication prior to entering the stadium. City-wide alcohol prohibitions (popular for the visits of English teams to Italy) simply did not work, with most bars still serving and fans always able to find alcohol from somewhere. In many observed cases, these restrictions even increased drunkenness, as fans binge drank and consumed spirits (which are easier to conceal and smuggle where prohibitions are in place) rather than drinking beer at a more leisurely pace.
Sooo... banning alcohol actually tends to have the opposite of the intended effect...

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
I say don't do it. Then market Tech as the best place to bring a family to a ballgame. We don't need the money. We're getting plenty of money from TV and the conference. If they do this, I will no longer bring my family to the games. I'm a beer drinker, but I can do without more drunks at a ballgame. Some of these fans, (ours included) are obnoxious enough as it is!

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Look how successful prohibition has proved to be, from a national scale all the way down to the microscale of Bobby Dodd Stadium. If people want to drink they are going to drink, regardless of the rules, and instead of 3.5 %ABV they are going to be drinking bourbon. I would be willing to bet that selling beer at the games would reduce the number of drunks you see at a game.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Wow really? I guess I am surprised by the people who are against beer sales.. I agree hammered fans are sometimes obnoxious, but Remember how hot noon games are? I could defintiely, DEFINITELY go for a beer during one of those. Plus the club seats never seem to get out of hand, and they serve..

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember a few games tailgating and pounding a few more beers than I normally would drink to try and keep my buzz going for as long as possible. I do not see myself as an obnoxious drunk but I can see how it could happen