Be Patient w/ DL

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@dressedcheeseside even in that play he was not DE but he was lined up in the DE spot. 42 was outside of 96.... I don't know the terminology but we had a lot of people on the LOS that play.

No he was still de. He was playing the 5tech. 42 was the outer most guy but not the DE. 42 was playing a 70tech....as he was a Lb in a 2pt

The SDE will play the 5 typically. This was a 3-3 alignment with both OLB walking to the line showing a 5 man front. And the strong side lb backed off and didnt blitz

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@33jacket I knew someone would know that right terms... the 4 normal DL were on the field, but shifted over with another traditional LB on the other side.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He should be at sde. Will make more of an impact.

Gamble looks good enough at the 3tech imo.

Just a dumb opinion

Modern day rule in football is: Either have a "franchise" type QB, or have someone who can get to the franchise QB and disrupt him

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket I knew someone would know that right terms... the 4 normal DL was on the field, but shifted over with another traditional LB on the other side.

Actually go back and look. Its hard to see but we only had 3 DL in. The alignment weak to strong was this on the line

Nealy (i think was him had a 4 and what appeared to be a 5. If not him then a 24 or 34 maybe)
Freeman
Gamble
Gotsis
Number 42

Nealy blitzed at the top or whoever that was.
Freeman rushed
Gamble rushed
The mlb blitzed the Agap who was either harrel or nealy
Gotsis rushed

Number 42 went to his zone

We brought 5. Blitzed two LB and dropped one.

Now here is what tenuta woulda done. The tulane tendency was to double the 1tech. John would aligned the same but blitz the mlb to the strong side b gap. Blitz 42 on the strong side 70. And drop gotsis to the flats. Or done this on the weak side but u have to flip the formation.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket 42 is Freeman, 41 was on the other side with Nealy on the other side of him...

Nealy
Rook
Gamble
Gotsis
Freeman

Ah ok then yes u r right and i am wrong. I thought 42 was davis which is why i said what i said.

In this case u were right. Adam was a dt playing the 5 and freeman was playing a 7tech but dropped like a tenuta play actually!!!

Gojackets55

Banned
If gotsis is being tripled every play we need to bring 6 every play and take our chances in the secondary. I'd rather get hit with a big play than get gashed and dink and dunked on all the way down the field.

Gojackets55

Banned
What made tenuta so great for is is he played a defense that fit our recruiting strengths. We have never been able to recruit stud d linemen in his defense we really didn't need one

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket 42 is Freeman, 41 was on the other side with Nealy on the other side of him...

Nealy
Rook
Gamble
Gotsis
Freeman

Gamble tied up more than one in the middle. Maybe that was his assignment. But he was not looking at the fake back (that ran right by him) or the passer ???Nealy and Chungong let one guy slow them both down. I like what we tried, just need to perfect it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What made tenuta so great for is is he played a defense that fit our recruiting strengths. We have never been able to recruit stud d linemen in his defense we really didn't need one

What made him great for me was he attacked protection schemes strategically. Funny though under him we had some of our best DL and LB talent. Far more than we may appreciate today.

slugboy

Staff member
What made him great for me was he attacked protection schemes strategically. Funny though under him we had some of our best DL and LB talent. Far more than we may appreciate today.
Absolutely. Some of the best since 1990.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
DT's who would be better DE's and DE's that would be better OLB's...that is what we have to play with....not much choice in the matter...

This is the MAIN reason for my negativity. Not the offense, not the D-backfield, not even the depth, but just the lack of a solid, division1 D-line in my opinion.
A lot of that has to do with the unexpected attrition at DL. We had guys that looked promising and for one reason or another they're not here anymore. It's more due to bad freakin' luck than bad recruiting, imo.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
A lot of that has to do with the unexpected attrition at DL. We had guys that looked promising and for one reason or another they're not here anymore. It's more due to bad freakin' luck than bad recruiting, imo.

Definitely part of it, but not all of it, imo. I do think recruiting has also been an issue, but not just with this administration.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
DT's who would be better DE's and DE's that would be better OLB's...that is what we have to play with....not much choice in the matter...

This is the MAIN reason for my negativity. Not the offense, not the D-backfield, not even the depth, but just the lack of a solid, division1 D-line in my opinion.

I would think it would be due to a combination of two things:

1. The fact we are in year two of the transition from a 3-4 to a 4-3. (This is the biggest reason, IMO.)
2. As you said, bad freakin' luck with attrition.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
What I see is Gamble's first and only move being to his inside. Our MLB stepped up to take on their Center. Their G-C-G combo need to very little effort to stop Gamble and our MLB. They only had a Tackle up top defending Nealy and Freeman and a Tackle moving Gotsis to his outside. Had this not been a quick toss from the shotgun, Freeman would have sacked the QB.