Be Patient w/ DL

thwgjacket

Let's remember that our two DE's would not be starting right now but for academic issues. Otherwise we would have an All-ACC candidate on one side and a JuCo All-American on the other. These guys are young and held what appeared to be a good Tulane rushing attack to only 96 yards (less than 4 yds per carry). I've seen a lot of people calling them out. Just a reminder to wait and see a little longer.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
This is nice and all but they won't be getting much pressure all year. They're young and gotsis hasn't been playing that well. I don't think our defense will be terrible but I expect similar results as we had last year. They will make some big plays but we will have to bring 6 guys to get decent pressure a lot of times, and I'm okay with that. Hopefully one of the freshman can start winning one on one battles and get a little pressure on their own and gotsis will step up and make some plays. Other than that we just need to bring 5-6 every play and be aggressive. If we can create turnovers and not fumble on our own 15 we will be fine.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Let's remember that our two DE's would not be starting right now but for academic issues. Otherwise we would have an All-ACC candidate on one side and a JuCo All-American on the other. These guys are young and held what appeared to be a good Tulane rushing attack to only 96 yards (less than 4 yds per carry). I've seen a lot of people calling them out. Just a reminder to wait and see a little longer.

Our young DEs are not ready to replace J.Att but they are more than capable of a wide rush (QB contain, play the wide screen, and be in position to play the reverse) while occupying the OTs and giving Green, Gotsis, and a LB or two or a DB the opportunity to rush the passer from various locations. And if the QB bolts from the pocket one of these guys will drop him for a loss (a la Freeman against Tulane). Some good scheming will work and these young DEs can fit nicely into some "schemes". Go Roof!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This is nice and all but they won't be getting much pressure all year. They're young and gotsis hasn't been playing that well. I don't think our defense will be terrible but I expect similar results as we had last year. They will make some big plays but we will have to bring 6 guys to get decent pressure a lot of times, and I'm okay with that. Hopefully one of the freshman can start winning one on one battles and get a little pressure on their own and gotsis will step up and make some plays. Other than that we just need to bring 5-6 every play and be aggressive. If we can create turnovers and not fumble on our own 15 we will be fine.

I don't recall much rushing with more than four against Tulane. Maybe that's all Roof thought was needed. Anyone recall bringing any LB's Saturday?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I don't recall much rushing with more than four against Tulane. Maybe that's all Roof thought was needed. Anyone recall bringing any LB's Saturday?
Several attempts. One very successful with Nealy up the middle. Tulane picked up the blitz pretty well and held Davis on one play I saw.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Jabari and Whitehead were being looked at for the same side of the field.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand that it gives us more one on one across the line, I just don't think people understand that when you are double or tripled you tend to not get the credit you deserve

Gotsis being doubled is an impact on the game. It's up to the rest of the DL to exploit it.

Gotsis is good, serviceable. We all wanted him to be special, but he isn't. He is not a game changing talent, he just isn't. We will have to scheme him into success. He was controlled by Wofford and Tulane. We are rarely going to have a Sapp or Russell Maryland, so we have to make do.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think to some extent Gotsis is suffering because the other side thinks it can double him up and not suffer for it. So far, that's been true. Will it be true in another 2 - 3 weeks? We'll just see about that. I think once Freeman gets another game or two behind him that we'll begin to see some rush at DE. If not, then Gotsis may move out and Gamble can take over at DT. There are several things we can do.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Asking for patience is fine....but I don't think Clemson, UGA, and VT will practice patience when we play them.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@dressedcheeseside even in that play he was not DE but he was lined up in the DE spot. 42 was outside of 96.... I don't know the terminology but we had a lot of people on the LOS that play.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
DT's who would be better DE's and DE's that would be better OLB's...that is what we have to play with....not much choice in the matter...

This is the MAIN reason for my negativity. Not the offense, not the D-backfield, not even the depth, but just the lack of a solid, division1 D-line in my opinion.