Be honest,

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
would you have rather lost to uM or doook?
This struck me last week when a bunch of Hcane fans were saying.--We can't lose to them,we have beaten them forever,we have so much more talent, etc etc Then it hit me dook had the same situation this wk as we did last... TWO wks to prepare for a rival that we have lost to forever .
Personally I would prefer to have beaten uM. If nothing else, next yr,we will be more likely to beat dook than uM,,I would guess.
The worst part is that dook has a straight road to the fsu opponent bowl.
oh well, we broke the string on vt and uM.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would take the Miami win but it still sucks they hadn't won in Atlanta since 94. We blew our chances at the coastal today I'm pretty sure.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The only team I hate losing to more than Miami is uga. Beating VT was almost as good as beating uM. All in all...a good first half of the season. Coastal is still in play. Very good season is still in play.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
There's no shame in losing to a team like Miami. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad we beat 'em. But losing to a team like Duke takes shame to "a whole 'nother level." A loss to a team like Miami is something you can shrug off in a week or so. A loss to a team like Duke is season-crippling. It's like the difference between getting an ankle sprain and tearing an ACL.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't get your point. Duke won 10 games last season and was picked to win the division again this season. Please explain where the shame is in this loss.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I don't get your point. Duke won 10 games last season and was picked to win the division again this season. Please explain where the shame is in this loss.

Duke was not as good last year as its record indicated. Duke's success last year was a product of an unusually easy schedule and some fortunate bits of luck. Duke is a bottom dweller and that doesn't change overnight.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
There's no shame in losing to a team like Miami. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad we beat 'em. But losing to a team like Duke takes shame to "a whole 'nother level." A loss to a team like Miami is something you can shrug off in a week or so. A loss to a team like Duke is season-crippling. It's like the difference between getting an ankle sprain and tearing an ACL.
That's not true at all. A loss to Miami and you hear the same crap about CPJ not being able to beat Miami and more talented teams. A loss to a good Duke team who we've beaten 10 times in a row and we already clearly know we're capable of beating is nowhere near as bad. As far as the coastal race goes though a loss to Miami is better since Duke has an easier conference schedule than we do. Got to root for some upsets now and the Clemson game is much more important.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Duke was not as good last year as its record indicated. Duke's success last year was a product of an unusually easy schedule and some fortunate bits of luck. Duke is a bottom dweller and that doesn't change overnight.
So were Ole Miss and Mississippi St... Now they are getting better. Its USUALLY cyclical. Some teams are up, others are down. Then it rotates... Just the way it is. Duke arent any world beaters, but they play smart and attack your weaknesses well. They are alot like us in a way... except we dont have a horrible past in football.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Of course I would take 5-1 before the season...but that loss yesterday was just so disappointing. Had a really great chance for a lot of things but let that opportunity fade away.

Next week almost becomes a must win now.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Of course I would take 5-1 before the season...but that loss yesterday was just so disappointing. Had a really great chance for a lot of things but let that opportunity fade away.

Next week almost becomes a must win now.
We need next week big time just for possible tie breaking scenarios. I think Duke loses another game in the ACC but I think we do too. We need to root for Miami to win out. Too bad they have to play Florida State.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Duke is on a progressive climb out of the bottom. They have caught up with us talent-wise. Perhaps our unusual attrition this off season has something to do with it but what was displayed in the stadium yesterday was talent parity and a lack of team preparedness on our part to at least capitalize on the home field advantage. If we don't load up on some more talent we may be witnessing the turning of the tables in our rivalry with Duke.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Duke is on a progressive climb out of the bottom. They have caught up with us talent-wise. Perhaps our unusual attrition this off season has something to do with it but what was displayed in the stadium yesterday was talent parity and a lack of team preparedness on our part to at least capitalize on the home field advantage. If we don't load up on some more talent we may be witnessing the turning of the tables in our rivalry with Duke.
Disagree with this completely. Duke had to have a perfect storm to beat us. .That was probably the worst officiated game that I have seen at Grant Field in 30 years. The calls definitely got in our heads. They had extra time to prepare. We were flat as well. And yes we made our share of mistakes.
I just don't see Duke beating Va Tech or UNC.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What about the talent gap?

We have the better players overall. We have recruited much better according to Scout. I think what was seen yesterday was Duke is starting mostly Srs* and we are very young. I would take our players and recruiting classes in a heart beat over Duke's.

* Someone can check this. It's what was said on TV, but TV is about 80% accurate for the 40% of the time they are talking about something relevant.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We have the better players overall. We have recruited much better according to Scout. I think what was seen yesterday was Duke is starting mostly Srs* and we are very young. I would take our players and recruiting classes in a heart beat over Duke's.

* Someone can check this. It's what was said on TV, but TV is about 80% accurate for the 40% of the time they are talking about something relevant.

I saw a big difference in the DBs. Duke was able to tackle us in the open field consistently one on one. Our DBs were a step slow getting to the player and usually it was the third lick before the Dukie went down. The poor tackling is largely due to lack of speed in our secondary, and secondarily due to poor tackling technique (no wrap up).

Declinometer

Banned
Watched the first half replay. CPJ did not exploit the outside. Duke was packed inside. We must be able to throw to our receivers when there is one on one coverage.