Be carfull what you wish for remember "Nebraska"

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Everybody needs to Remember What happened to Nebraska when they got away from the option with with Tom Osbourne and Frank Solich head coaches and experimented with the air raid and west coast passing scheme ; Yea they fired the next 2 coaches and Scott Frost whom is there new head coach which ran the option with precission has a terrible record with the newley installed passing offense; Ask any Neberasks Fan what offense they would rather see at Nebraska and it would be a run heavy option based formation

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, the Leman Bennet story. Bennet was taking the Falcons to the playoffs every year but not advancing much after that. Admin wanted someone who could get the Falcons over the hump. Cleaned the coaching house. Immediately went from winning records and making the playoffs to below .500 and not even getting to the playoffs. It was decades before they got competitive again. IIRC.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a fantastic post... Nebraska played for a national championship in 2001, and in Frank Solich's final season won 10 games, and he was fired. They tried to implement "modern" offenses and it has tanked their program. Frank Solich has gone on to become the best coach in Ohio history, and is racking up a bunch of offensive numbers doing it.

I think Tech needs to stick with a coach who runs this system, but a more modern version of it. They are certainly out there.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Ummmmm no.

I could see a trade with GSU. Lunsford is a real up and comer, but needs more than 1.5 years as HC before he gets a P5 job imo.
Nebraska just went 4-8 in the BAD B1G division. They already had fans who wanted CPJ, if they have 3-4 more years similar to this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they gauged his interest at least.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Nebraska didn't run what CPJ/Monken do... if Nebraska is going to go back to their old system they would hire Troy Calhoun from Air Force.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, the Leman Bennet story. Bennet was taking the Falcons to the playoffs every year but not advancing much after that. Admin wanted someone who could get the Falcons over the hump. Cleaned the coaching house. Immediately went from winning records and making the playoffs to below .500 and not even getting to the playoffs. It was decades before they got competitive again. IIRC.
Yeah, and the Clampets also dumped highly paid linemen to increase their bottom line. It was overall piss poor football management.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We are .500 the last 4 years. In Osborne's last 4 years they won 3 national titles and went a combined 49-2. There is a mountain of difference between Johnson and Osborne . Solich is a better comparison but even then there is a reason fans looked at Solich as having a program on the decline for legitimate reasons. The fact is every coaching change is a risk to some degree. It was a risk when we fired Gailey. That worked out. It was a risk when UGA fired Richt, and the arguments I'm hearing now were pretty much all said then. It's worked out for them.

The coaching change might work out well. It might work out terribly. It might work out okay and we are in the same mire around 7 wins a year we have been under both Johnson and Gailey. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, and we weren't going forward with Johnson at the helm anymore. At one point it looked like we were but at best we have stalled under him. A change was need. Risk going backwards for the potential reward of moving forwards.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We are .500 the last 4 years. In Osborne's last 4 years they won 3 national titles and went a combined 49-2. There is a mountain of difference between Johnson and Osborne . Solich is a better comparison but even then there is a reason fans looked at Solich as having a program on the decline for legitimate reasons. The fact is every coaching change is a risk to some degree. It was a risk when we fired Gailey. That worked out. It was a risk when UGA fired Richt, and the arguments I'm hearing now were pretty much all said then. It's worked out for them.

The coaching change might work out well. It might work out terribly. It might work out okay and we are in the same mire around 7 wins a year we have been under both Johnson and Gailey. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, and we weren't going forward with Johnson at the helm anymore. At one point it looked like we were but at best we have stalled under him. A change was need. Risk going backwards for the potential reward of moving forwards.
I understand what you are saying , and I know I may the only one thinking like this but coaching at Tech is more than just wins and I think he did a great job at other things.