BCF Toys 2019 Point per drive data now live

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
https://www.bcftoys.com/2019-ppd

It's week four and the PPD data is finally showing up. For those that don't know, bcftoys is the personal site of the person who created the FEI rating.

The data is FBS vs FBS only (so in our case Citadel is not included) and does not include drives that occurred in "garbage time".

I don't really have anything to say about the data, it's really not good at the moment. I am going to chalk it up to Clemson being really good, and our team still trying to find identity against USF. I honestly think these numbers will only increase as the year goes on.

Long field position: drives beginning inside offense's 20
Medium field position: drives beginning between offense's 20 and 40
Short field position: drives less than 60 yards from endzone

107 Georgia Tech
Net point score per drive: -1.31 (107)

Offense
PPD: 0.95 (123)
PPD (long field position): 0.00 (100)
PPD (medium): 1.17 (110)
PPD (short): 1.75 110

Defense
PPD: 2.26 67
PPD (long): 1.75 67
PPD (medium): 1.55 39
PPD (short) 5.25 113

Deleted member 2897

https://www.bcftoys.com/2019-ppd

It's week four and the PPD data is finally showing up. For those that don't know, bcftoys is the personal site of the person who created the FEI rating.

The data is FBS vs FBS only (so in our case Citadel is not included) and does not include drives that occurred in "garbage time".

I don't really have anything to say about the data, it's really not good at the moment. I am going to chalk it up to Clemson being really good, and our team still trying to find identity against USF. I honestly think these numbers will only increase as the year goes on.

Long field position: drives beginning inside offense's 20
Medium field position: drives beginning between offense's 20 and 40
Short field position: drives less than 60 yards from endzone

107 Georgia Tech
Net point score per drive: -1.31 (107)

Offense
PPD: 0.95 (123)
PPD (long field position): 0.00 (100)
PPD (medium): 1.17 (110)
PPD (short): 1.75 110

Defense
PPD: 2.26 67
PPD (long): 1.75 67
PPD (medium): 1.55 39
PPD (short) 5.25 113

Out defense is actually pretty good. Half the points we’ve given up were from turnovers in our own red zone.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Out defense is actually pretty good. Half the points we’ve given up were from turnovers in our own red zone.
I think a big thing is lack of data at this point too. Only two games count for us, and Clemson was never going to help our stats. Still thought it worth posting as I enjoy looking at other teams as well and will update as the season goes along.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Week five data has been uploaded. I can't say I've been excited to look at it. Getting shut out is never going to improve your metrics, so I am not too surprised we fell. Defense marginally improved (67th overall to 58th) though, which is good to see. We are giving up a lot of touchdowns when the opponents start with a short field, so hopefully one of our goals is trying to begin holding teams to more FG attempts (or maybe just having less of them

107 Georgia Tech
Net point score per drive: -1.44 (109)

Offense
PPD: 0.66 (126)
PPD (long field position): 0.00 (107)
PPD (medium): 0.78 (122)
PPD (short): 1.40 117

Defense
PPD: 2.09 58
PPD (long): 1.20 52
PPD (medium): 1.69 47
PPD (short) 4.67 107

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Week five data has been uploaded. I can't say I've been excited to look at it. Getting shut out is never going to improve your metrics, so I am not too surprised we fell. Defense marginally improved (67th overall to 58th) though, which is good to see. We are giving up a lot of touchdowns when the opponents start with a short field, so hopefully one of our goals is trying to begin holding teams to more FG attempts (or maybe just having less of them

107 Georgia Tech

Offense

Defense
PPD (short) 4.67 107

The bright spot is the overall D. There is visible improvement there, even with the Clemson stats in the mix. The PPD (short) 4.67 107 indicates what we already knew: our DL needs overhaul and our run D is still a long ways from good. The secondary is a strength and is driving the rest of the D numbers.

Offensively, this season will probably approach nightmare scenario in a few weeks as we start playing teams with more talent.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The bright spot is the overall D. There is visible improvement there, even with the Clemson stats in the mix. The PPD (short) 4.67 107 indicates what we already knew: our DL needs overhaul and our run D is still a long ways from good. The secondary is a strength and is driving the rest of the D numbers.

Offensively, this season will probably approach nightmare scenario in a few weeks as we start playing teams with more talent.
I agree regarding our defense. Even with the Clemson game, we are showing much improvement statistically. USF and Temple are not world beaters offensively, so we should be performing well, but bad offenses didn't stop our defense from underperforming in recent years. South Florida is currently the lowest PPD in FBS and Temple is 115. North Carolina comes in at the 84 mark with 1.95 PPD. I'd love to see us put up a 1.3-1.5 PPD effort agains them this weekend.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree regarding our defense. Even with the Clemson game, we are showing much improvement statistically. USF and Temple are not world beaters offensively, so we should be performing well, but bad offenses didn't stop our defense from underperforming in recent years. South Florida is currently the lowest PPD in FBS and Temple is 115. North Carolina comes in at the 84 mark with 1.95 PPD. I'd love to see us put up a 1.3-1.5 PPD effort agains them this weekend.

My only fear is that we're so one dimensional on D right now. If I were an opposing OC I'd run the ball down our throat till we prove we can stop it, then pass. Our secondary is stout, but our DL isn't generating the coverage sacks that should come out of it.

Biggest thing is that it's improving. We'll see some slide in S+P as we play better offenses though hopefully not too much.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
My only fear is that we're so one dimensional on D right now. If I were an opposing OC I'd run the ball down our throat till we prove we can stop it, then pass. Our secondary is stout, but our DL isn't generating the coverage sacks that should come out of it.

Biggest thing is that it's improving. We'll see some slide in S+P as we play better offenses though hopefully not too much.
Next week is when they release the fei with only 2019 season data. I am not sure if SP+ is still using previous data right now.

I agree regarding our D right now. As we start playing better teams, we are going to find out how well we work as a unit.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Next week is when they release the fei with only 2019 season data. I am not sure if SP+ is still using previous data right now.

I agree regarding our D right now. As we start playing better teams, we are going to find out how well we work as a unit.

I believe SP still has a little of the projected stats in it, but should be free and clear after next week.

Deleted member 2897

107 Georgia Tech

Offense

Defense
PPD (short) 4.67 107

We’ve had like 4 or 5 turnovers inside our own red zone. So when we look at short drives, we have been faced with some super super short drives.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We’ve had like 4 or 5 turnovers inside our own red zone. So when we look at short drives, we have been faced with some super super short drives.
Us turning it over in the red zone would typically give the opponent a long drive (unless a fumble/interception gets returned out to our side). I would have to go look to see how many opponent short drives we’ve even faced. There’s a number of schools still yielding no points on drives beginning in their own 40.

Deleted member 2897

Us turning it over in the red zone would typically give the opponent a long drive (unless a fumble/interception gets returned out to our side). I would have to go look to see how many opponent short drives we’ve even faced. There’s a number of schools still yielding no points on drives beginning in their own 40.

We gave Clemson alone the ball 3 times inside our own 25 and twice inside the 15. 15 yards is much much more difficult to stop than 40.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We gave Clemson alone the ball 3 times inside our own 25 and twice inside the 15. 15 yards is much much more difficult to stop than 40.
I misread you sorry :)
We turning it over in our own is definitely bad. We need to ensure that happens less moving forward for sure.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
107 Georgia Tech
Net point score per drive: -1.44 (107)

Offense

Defense
PPD (short) 4.67 107

Another week in the books. Things still not looking good statistically for the good guys. Slid down two more ranks to 109 overall. We did increase our offensive points per drive from 0.68 to 0.98, the problem though is we still fell in OPD rankings (from 126 to 128) due to other teams improving by more. If we erase the first half it looks better, but we sadly can't do that. I hope to see continued improvement (there has certainly been improvement). We continue to have zero points on drives starting inside our own 20, hopefully this can be something we fix this week. Defense slid again, but I am not too surprised as they are the best offense we've seen since Clemson. Duke is currently scoring 2.42 (46) PPD while giving up 2.00 (51).

109 Georgia Tech
Net point score per drive: -1.41 (109)

Offense
PPD: 0.98 (128)
PPD (long field position): 0.00 (113)
PPD (medium): 1.33 (101)
PPD (short): 1.17 (126)

Defense
PPD: 2.39 71
PPD (long): 1.58 67
PPD (medium): 2.32 83
PPD (short) 4.00 85