BC Postgame Press conference

Milwaukee

Banned
Go to the 5:45 mark. Our staff doesn’t do this with a lead when they should (Lville) or when down 50 (Clem) to shorten the game. Maybe we know where we are currently (which is not a good football team) and want to just get as many reps as humanly possible for the on-field experience since nothing counts this season as far as eligibility? I don’t know, just guessing.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Go to the 5:45 mark. Our staff doesn’t do this with a lead when they should (Lville) or when down 50 (Clem) to shorten the game. Maybe we know where we are currently (which is not a good football team) and want to just get as many reps as humanly possible for the on-field experience since nothing counts this season as far as eligibility? I don’t know, just guessing.

Against Clemson the best thing was just to treat each possession like normal to get the reps. Slowing the game down to limit possessions wasn't going to get us to win so there isn't much actual benefit to doing it. It would juts be window dressing.

Against UL you are just flat out wrong. We didn't have a lead, late, until 8:40 left in the game.

After we took the lead we had a 5 play drive that took nearly 3 minutes.
1st play clock wasn't running so doesn't matter.
2nd play - snapped with 6 seconds.
3rd play - snapped with 3 seconds.
4th play - snapped with 4 seconds
5th play - snapped with 16 seconds.

The last play is the only one where we didn't burn about as much as we could, but it was also a 5 point game. You have to try and score not just kill time. That play was the TD pass to Carter.

The last drive, up 12, was 3 plays.

1st play - clock not running so doesn't matter.
2nd play - snapped with 4 seconds.
3rd play - clock stopped due to time out so doesn't matter.
4th play - there wasn't one because we scored a TD.

We basically burned as much clock as we could late against UL.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Temple fans complained about this for what it's worth (probably nothing).

Milwaukee

Banned
Against Clemson the best thing was just to treat each possession like normal to get the reps. Slowing the game down to limit possessions wasn't going to get us to win so there isn't much actual benefit to doing it. It would juts be window dressing.

Against UL you are just flat out wrong. We didn't have a lead, late, until 8:40 left in the game.

After we took the lead we had a 5 play drive that took nearly 3 minutes.
1st play clock wasn't running so doesn't matter.
2nd play - snapped with 6 seconds.
3rd play - snapped with 3 seconds.
4th play - snapped with 4 seconds
5th play - snapped with 16 seconds.

The last play is the only one where we didn't burn about as much as we could, but it was also a 5 point game. You have to try and score not just kill time. That play was the TD pass to Carter.

The last drive, up 12, was 3 plays.

1st play - clock not running so doesn't matter.
2nd play - snapped with 4 seconds.
3rd play - clock stopped due to time out so doesn't matter.
4th play - there wasn't one because we scored a TD.

We basically burned as much clock as we could late against UL.
I agree completely. I’m only referring to Clemson as a situation where we should’ve eaten the clock to end the game, keep everyone healthy, and not allow 77. Not sure why we didn’t approach the officials and Dabo about instituting a running clock 2H actually. But what’s done is done I’m just nitpicking.
Another thing that Hafley referred to was going into the game they were pretty sure that jet sweep would be successful against us based on our scheme alone and it did. I love hearing stuff like that because it’s essentially better than self scouting.

Edit: just saw your Lville take: no we definitely should’ve been chewing clock instead of snapping the ball with 20sec on the play clock in the 4th late when we were only up a score. The time at snap on the TD to Malachi was really dumb from a clock/football IQ part as I believe we snapped the ball with 20sec. We scored though so of course it didn’t bite us and the casual fan didn’t notice.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting. I will listen, even though listening to CGC's "Knute Rockne" voice right now makes my skin crawl.
Well I did listen and I wish the people asking the question would follow up with another question . One question he said he thought the defense did good at stopping them at some of the things they wanted to do . :) the follow up question would be what did the defense stop them from doing other then punting. another question his answer was they played hard should have been followed up with coach did you count the miss tackles.
He was asked why we replaced our QB. Not sure what he was trying to say but said Sims was doing a good job had 2 TD and a good rating but thought it was time. follow up question is if you really believe in this ATL then why people a QB who was not on the list when 2 other QB's were on the list.
It's really hard to listen to the same answers . Ask questions he can't give us the same answers or ask a follow up question.

Milwaukee

Banned
Well I did listen and I wish the people asking the question would follow up with another question . One question he said he thought the defense did good at stopping them at some of the things they wanted to do . :) the follow up question would be what did the defense stop them from doing other then punting. another question his answer was they played hard should have been followed up with coach did you count the miss tackles.
He was asked why we replaced our QB. Not sure what he was trying to say but said Sims was doing a good job had 2 TD and a good rating but thought it was time. follow up question is if you really believe in this ATL then why people a QB who was not on the list when 2 other QB's were on the list.
It's really hard to listen to the same answers . Ask questions he can't give us the same answers or ask a follow up question.
He already discussed it in the postgame with Wiley yesterday. He essentially said that unfortunately our defense is only at a point where we can plan to take away one thing. Vs Clem we focused on Etienne not going off (and he didn’t) but then Trevor torched us. Vs BC the gameplan was to take away their passing attack (and we did) and they torched us on the ground.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
He already discussed it in the postgame with Wiley yesterday. He essentially said that unfortunately our defense is only at a point where we can plan to take away one thing. Vs Clem we focused on Etienne not going off (and he didn’t) but then Trevor torched us. Vs BC the gameplan was to take away their passing attack (and we did) and they torched us on the ground.
well that was true . But then why can our defense only stop one thing ? Try and find out what is wants to stop ND from doing we are only +19 now

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

“Coach, what did you think about the game?”

”Great game against a good opponent.”

”Did you get your *** kicked?”

”We ran our game plan and are pleased with the results.”

”What flavor milkshake is your favorite?”

”We don’t have time for milkshakes. We‘re building an elite football program”

”Back to the game. What areas are you working on to improve?”

”We’re working 24/7 to improve. I sleep on a cot at Waffle House. This is what elite programs do. They sacrifice. Our DC stopped eating tunafish. Our OC gave up pancakes. We are all focused on building an elite program of elite athletes.“

”Thanks Coach. Any closing comments?”

“Hug someone. Anyone. Preferably female. But I’m okay if it’s another gender. I might even transgender. If that’s what elite teams do ... I’ll cut my weenie with a butter knife.”

”Thanks Coach. Back to you Greg.”

Milwaukee

Banned
well that was true . But then why can our defense only stop one thing ?
He’s insinuating we’re not where we want to be yet as a defense. In other words we’re not good enough yet to take away multiple aspects. Sucks to hear but he’s not wrong. So the next question shouldn’t be “why can our defense only stop one thing?” or “why is our defense not good enough?”. It should be “Okay that’s fair and a good point, but why not adjust and stack once you see they’re running down our throat?”

You feel me?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Edit: just saw your Lville take: no we definitely should’ve been chewing clock instead of snapping the ball with 20sec on the play clock in the 4th late when we were only up a score. The time at snap on the TD to Malachi was really dumb from a clock/football IQ part as I believe we snapped the ball with 20sec. We scored though so of course it didn’t bite us and the casual fan didn’t notice.

So you're complaining about literally one play of literally 10 seconds ignoring that the staff did exactly what you are asking at literally every other opportunity.

Also, we had just run the clock down to 5 seconds 3 consecutive plays. There's a good chance snapping it early caught them somewhat flat footed and contributed to Carter being as open as he was. But maybe that's something only a casual fan would notice.

Milwaukee

Banned
So you're complaining about literally one play of literally 10 seconds ignoring that the staff did exactly what you are asking at literally every other opportunity.

Also, we had just run the clock down to 5 seconds 3 consecutive plays. There's a good chance snapping it early caught them somewhat flat footed and contributed to Carter being as open as he was. But maybe that's something only a casual fan would notice.
No. They did it the entire time with the lead in the 4th. This has already been addressed here pretty thoroughly weeks ago. Not trying to argue with you.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No. They did it the entire time with the lead in the 4th. This has already been addressed here pretty thoroughly weeks ago. Not trying to argue with you.

Am I missing what you are referring to? I literally went back and watched the plays from when we had the lead against UL and recorded how much time was left when we snapped the ball.

There were 6 plays we could burn the clock. 5 of them went down to about 5 and the 6th went down to about 16.

I think you're confusing that with when, according some of the great minds on this site, we left too much time when scoring our TD drive at the end of the first half.

GT_EE78

Banned
I guess we can tout progress since it wasn't as embarrassing as last week when after a 70 point beatdown he talked about the team not being able to handle success.