BC Post Game Melt Down Thread

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure if it's been discussed yet, but I saw a lot more finger-pointing and head shaking/frustration from some of our guys directed at their teammates. One I remember was clearly justified when Sims tried to dodge dip dive duck and dodge when we needed 1 yard on 4th and 1. Other times I saw Juanyeh and Gibbs looking frustrated (arms wide asking "what are you doing" or head shaking, etc. I bring it up because CGC has specifically brought it up in the past that our team doesn't do that. So I'm wondering if it's been all of the sudden or if this has been the case for a while.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Seems like Media content has been way down the last two weeks. It is a weak look, like we are ducking. I don't like it.

This same thing happened towards the middle of the year last year as well. It makes sense that during the season media content will decline though. One of the main reasons any team does that type of things is to keep the program at the front of the minds of people, while games are going on the games serve that purpose.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This makes no sense. Everyone advocated for no coaching carousel this season, got just that, but believes DESERVES to start? Based on what? And if you believe the result, what sense does it make to pull your guy for the future?

When Graham tried to run for the 1st down on 4th & 13 that’s all i needed to see in how he’ll do behind this OL
I didn't say Graham deserved to start; read the post again. What I said is that, at this stage, I think Sims could benefit from a game on the sidelines. Coaches do that sometimes, especially with frosh QBs who are giving the other side too many scoring opportunities. I'm pretty certain that ND - probably the best D we play this year - will feast on him otherwise. No need to let him suffer through that; hs confidence is probably shaken enough already.

But, like you say, Collins seems to think he is the future. It's up to him.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say Graham deserved to start; read the post again. What I said is that, at this stage, I think Sims could benefit from a game on the sidelines. Coaches do that sometimes, especially with frosh QBs who are giving the other side too many scoring opportunities.

Can you give an actual example of that?

slugboy

Staff member
One could argue that the recruiting ceiling with tech being what it is (stem school) that this whole thing is a moot point and we most likely will not be able to recruit highly enough and consistently to be any better than what we have been, let alone reach those levels, since George O'Leary left.
I don't see why we can't recruit at the same level we did during the O'Leary days. Yes, APR is a special challenge for us, but we have more degree programs than we did under O'Leary, and we've learned to manage APR.
Two other things have changed: uneven resources in college football (the top 20 AA's have much more to spend compared to the rest than ever before) and the number of non-P5 teams.

Not sure if it's been discussed yet, but I saw a lot more finger-pointing and head shaking/frustration from some of our guys directed at their teammates. One I remember was clearly justified when Sims tried to dodge dip dive duck and dodge when we needed 1 yard on 4th and 1. Other times I saw Juanyeh and Gibbs looking frustrated (arms wide asking "what are you doing" or head shaking, etc. I bring it up because CGC has specifically brought it up in the past that our team doesn't do that. So I'm wondering if it's been all of the sudden or if this has been the case for a while.

I'm surprised we haven't heard about a player meeting happening yet. (It did around this point under Ross).

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This same thing happened towards the middle of the year last year as well. It makes sense that during the season media content will decline though. One of the main reasons any team does that type of things is to keep the program at the front of the minds of people, while games are going on the games serve that purpose.
Yeah I get moving away from the preseason stuff (Waffle House Wednesday, etc) but the post game sessions are shorter, we didn't even get video after BC's loss. We don't hear from the assistants anymore and we aren't hearing a lot of talk about how we will improve (from a practical sense) and fix the things that have caused the sloppy product we are seeing (fumbles, interceptions, not picking up pressure, converting the down instead of trying to razzle dazzle).

I want to hear measured, reasoned approaches not read about the return of the black watch and hype. Seemed like we were just starting to get to some of that content from CAT and CDP in the third and fourth week but then dropped off precipitously these last two weeks (when I would suggest we need it most).

I don't see why we can't recruit at the same level we did during the O'Leary days. Yes, APR is a special challenge for us, but we have more degree programs than we did under O'Leary, and we've learned to manage APR.
Two other things have changed: uneven resources in college football (the top 20 AA's have much more to spend compared to the rest than ever before) and the number of non-P5 teams.

I'm surprised we haven't heard about a player meeting happening yet. (It did around this point under Ross).
Sooo question. O'Leary had his best year in 1998. How many of those players were actually Bill Lewis recruits. And on the flip side, in 2002 and 2003 we were the standard 7 win team. Since there are no records for recruiting back then, did O'Leary truly recruit better, or maybe his coaches were just better coaches. CRF was....but CTR was not.... Just flowing with the recruiting flow.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
This makes no sense. Everyone advocated for no coaching carousel this season, got just that, but believes DESERVES to start? Based on what? And if you believe the result, what sense does it make to pull your guy for the future?

When Graham tried to run for the 1st down on 4th & 13 that’s all i needed to see in how he’ll do behind this OL
I thought He had pressure off the edge and up the middle on 4th and 13 what should he have done? If He beats that LB one on one he walks for a first down.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I thought He had pressure off the edge and up the middle on 4th and 13 what should he have done? If He beats that LB one on one he walks for a first down.

No real pressure off the edge and while the center got pushed back some he veered it to the side providing an opening for Graham to step up which he did and could have thrown the ball up to give a receiver a chance at least. You can tell though as soon as he was forced to step up he had already made his mind to run it

Also, he doesn't walk to a first down if he beats the LB. He actually did beat the LB with a nice move. He got tackled by the DE coming back. But there were two more defenders that were already ahead of the before the sticks coming up that would have met him about 5 or 6 yards before the first down.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We have been horrible at blitzing up the middle. Usually don't do a good job disguising it and then gets caught up in the line without penetration.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
No real pressure off the edge and while the center got pushed back some he veered it to the side providing an opening for Graham to step up which he did and could have thrown the ball up to give a receiver a chance at least. You can tell though as soon as he was forced to step up he had already made his mind to run it

Also, he doesn't walk to a first down if he beats the LB. He actually did beat the LB with a nice move. He got tackled by the DE coming back. But there were two more defenders that were already ahead of the before the sticks coming up that would have met him about 5 or 6 yards before the first down.
Real question = why was a play called instead of punting the ball? I don't care who is at QB, with that down and yardage chances of success are very slim. I mean, I know we weren't stopping them, but they weren't getting monster returns on punts either. I'm pretty sure that Graham didn't make this call, btw. I wonder why the coaches did.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Real question = why was a play called instead of punting the ball? I don't care who is at QB, with that down and yardage chances of success are very slim. I mean, I know we weren't stopping them, but they weren't getting monster returns on punts either. I'm pretty sure that Graham didn't make this call, btw. I wonder why the coaches did.

The ball was on their 19.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Can you give an actual example of that?
Not recently; coaches seem to be sticking with QBs more these days. They used to do it, however, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to do this week. I'm sure, no matter how much happy talk he is getting, that Sims's confidence may be shaken. No reason to make things worse.

But, like I said, this is unlikely. We'll see what effect that has this week.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Not recently; coaches seem to be sticking with QBs more these days. They used to do it, however, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to do this week. I'm sure, no matter how much happy talk he is getting, that Sims's confidence may be shaken. No reason to make things worse.

But, like I said, this is unlikely. We'll see what effect that has this week.

I'll accept any examples since, say, 1970?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Each QB made at least one bad decision while trying to convert a first down. How about instead of trying to pick on the negative plays of qbs to try and be correct on the internet, we just let it go? The pissing match between posters at the expense of calling out negative plays is silly. It's weird how y'all pick bad plays to support your opinions instead of good plays. Makes the board pretty tedious.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Each QB made at least one bad decision while trying to convert a first down. How about instead of trying to pick on the negative plays of qbs to try and be correct on the internet, we just let it go? The pissing match between posters at the expense of calling out negative plays is silly. It's weird how y'all pick bad plays to support your opinions instead of good plays. Makes the board pretty tedious.

Well Sims dispelled the notion he can’t throw the deep ball