BC Post Game Melt Down Thread

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
When CGC got here and not only had to rebuild a team but an entire staff behind the scene that became very toxic. The fact that most are writing this staff off after 1.5 yr is ridiculous and shows how ridiculous fans can be sometimes
A couple of things:
I think what is worrying everyone and no in a particular order:
  • Lack of or questionable game plan.
  • Heat of battle decisions.
  • Clock management.
  • Player development.
Many here remember the hiring of Bill Lewis and they may be seeing similarities. You may have mentioned the toxic issue before, but I haven't heard of it. Could you tell us more. Thanks.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'll make an offer- to @Ibeeballin, or whoever wants to defend Collins at this point. I'll bet $1000 that Collins, before he is fired or leaves, will never give Tech a better season than CPJ did, and will never have a better winning percentage over his time at Tech than CPJ did. If he meets either of those criteria, you win, if he meets neither I win.

pretty stupid proposition.

but I’ll take that bet since i don’t anything to lose

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
GT had a 15 play, 75 yard, 7:10 drive in the game yesterday.
And we scored. But … it ain't the same. Army was playing it's 2nd/3rd string in that drive; they played 3 different QBs.

One wonders why we weren't doing this from the start. It could be that BC had in the second string by then; they were way ahead. Still, if we started to concentrate more on TOP we would do much better. Of course, you do have to, you know, stop the other side for that to work.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'll make an offer- to @Ibeeballin, or whoever wants to defend Collins at this point. I'll bet $1000 that Collins, before he is fired or leaves, will never give Tech a better season than CPJ did, and will never have a better winning percentage over his time at Tech than CPJ did. If he meets either of those criteria, you win, if he meets neither I win.

I would take it if you started counting both of their wins in year 3. Because whether you want to believe it or not, the first 2 years havd a lot to do with what the previous coach left.

Alternatively, we can leave CPJ out of it since he left of his own will and frankly left a program that no proven coach wanted to take over. IIWII

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
A couple of things:
I think what is worrying everyone and no in a particular order:
  • Lack of or questionable game plan.
  • Heat of battle decisions.
  • Clock management.
  • Player development.
Many here remember the hiring of Bill Lewis and they may be seeing similarities. You may have mentioned the toxic issue before, but I haven't heard of it. Could tell us more. Thanks.
CPJ began to put out more fires behind the scenes than on the field. Bobinski fiasco is well documented but it was some other thing popping up that would make it a unpleasant work environment. I’ll just leave it at that

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Ok, but remember you're on record, just like 92.
I would take it if you started counting both of their wins in year 3. Because whether you want to believe it or not, the first 2 years havd a lot to do with what the previous coach left.

Alternatively, we can leave CPJ out of it since he left of his own will and frankly left a program that no proven coach wanted to take over. IIWII

CGC comes in on unequal footing and he makes this bet

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Bottom Line:

- Team is not showing overall improvement or growth, in my opinion.
- Team starts many games like they haven't yet gotten off the bus (yesterday's start was a good example)
- Results will make a difference in recruiting and internal frustrations (more likely to lead to portal entries and decommits) - I don't care what anyone believes - this is true.
- Team appears to have discipline issues - maybe this coaching staff does give out tough love, but I am not sure based on what I see
- The only 2 times the team appeared fully prepared was the first game (Camp to prepare) and against Louisville (2 weeks to prepare). So far, with only 1 week to prepare, the team has not looked prepared in my opinion.

With all of that said, I don't believe we have reached critical mass yet, and I believe the coaching staff might still be able to turn this around going into 2021. But, we need to end the season with improved play and fundamentals - and definitely, reduce penalties and turnovers.

Good level-headed post. Only thing I’d say is I think you gave us too much credit for looking “prepared” against FSU and Louisville. We started both of those games down double digits, too. That is a trend that has gone on all season and last season.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Lol

Soon as i think y’all can’t out dumb yourselves, i read a post like this.

Collins took over team that 24-25 just was embarrassed by Minnesota.

Yes, Johnson had to rebuild and reconstruct the team. Fortunately, he had a lot of wood, nails & tools to work with. Similar to what Steve Kerr got when he took over for Mark Jackson in Golden St.

When CGC got here and not only had to rebuild a team but an entire staff behind the scene that became very toxic. The fact that most are writing this staff off after 1.5 yr is ridiculous and shows how ridiculous fans can be sometimes
I wonder if at year 4 of Collins (if he makes it that far) you will include his year one record.

It's also not a rebuild if you have tools in place to run a successful system. There was no need to "rip the band-aid off". That was the coach's decision and ultimately his fault for not playing to a team's strength (he should be held accountable for his choices). He should have transitioned the team more slowly to the pro style he wants to run.
Well Middle Tennessee did beat us lol. Boston College didn’t have to revamp how they play football either

Unforgivable is too strong man. Inexcusable? yes
Indefensible? Yes
It sure seems like you're doing plenty of defending in these two posts.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I wonder if at year 4 of Collins (if he makes it that far) you will include his year one record.

It's also not a rebuild if you have tools in place to run a successful system. There was no need to "rip the band-aid off". That was the coach's decision and ultimately his fault for not playing to a team's strength (he should be held accountable for his choices). He should have transitioned the team more slowly to the pro style he wants to run.

What’s being defended is for the usua suspects coming out bushes and with the doom & gloom and talking firing people 1.5yrs in

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

so he should've stayed with the TO. Got it.

maybe you'll get your wish again one day, and we'll hire a CPJ disciple, and go back to it.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I’m confused by your culture assertion as well. Post game Curry stated that the issue is eye discipline and trusting your teammate. This has been an issue for a decade. So it is your opinion that it’s culture the allows the players to read the proper keys and for them to not trust the player next to them bc they are unsure if they’ll make the play
My comments on culture are larger in scope than this game. However, mistrust is an indication of a culture problem.

Let me state it differently. We all knew that Collins inherited a team that was not at the same talent level as Clemson. Collins has talked publicly about being elite in everything they do from recruiting to playing. The “elite“ vision is what he is trying to achieve. I think that recruits may see themselves as elite because Collins is recruiting them. They probably have unrealistic expectations with regard to the competition at positions already on the roster. I am sure Collins is trying to establish a longer term vision, but I don’t think 18 year old recruits would understand that it is a 6+ year vision and not an immediate reality. So, I think impatience in achieving the vision is creating a toxic culture. Recruits want to experience the realization of the vision Collins is selling. Unfortunately, vision and culture are two different things. Collins keeps selling the vision when he should be focused on selling a culture of growth, endurance, perseverance, and inclusion.

Think I am way off base? Look back to 2008 when Dabo took over Clemson. He had a vision of what Clemson is today, but he didn’t focus on selling the vision. He sold the culture “All In“, which included all the things I mentioned above. He didn’t talk about where Clemson would be in 2020 because none of the kids on his roster would be there to live it. He focused on the culture to lay the foundation for achieving his vision.

A common leadership mistake that typically leads to a bad culture is focusing too much on the vision and not on the actual path/culture required in achieving it. Success doesn’t immediately come and people start blaming each other for it and not trusting their teammates. If not addressed the culture becomes toxic.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

So you are going ahead and admitting you don't believe Collins will ever have a better year than CPJ's best then? Sounds to me like we hired the wrong coach if that's the case.

We aren't losing to BC and Syracuse because they out-talent us, that is laughable. We are losing because our coaching is terrible and we aren't putting players in position to succeed and teaching them the basic skills to do so.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
My comments on culture are larger in scope than this game. However, mistrust is an indication of a culture problem.

Let me state it differently. We all knew that Collins inherited a team that was not at the same talent level as Clemson. Collins has talked publicly about being elite in everything they do from recruiting to playing. The “elite“ vision is what he is trying to achieve. I think that recruits may see themselves as elite because Collins is recruiting them. They probably have unrealistic expectations with regard to the competition at positions already on the roster. I am sure Collins is trying to establish a longer term vision, but I don’t think 18 year old recruits would understand that it is a 6+ year vision and not an immediate reality. So, I think impatience in achieving the vision is creating a toxic culture. Recruits want to experience the realization of the vision Collins is selling. Unfortunately, vision and culture are two different things. Collins keeps selling the vision when he should be focused on selling a culture of growth, endurance, perseverance, and inclusion.

Think I am way off base? Look back to 2008 when Dabo took over Clemson. He had a vision of what Clemson is today, but he didn’t focus on selling the vision. He sold the culture “All In“, which included all the things I mentioned above. He didn’t talk about where Clemson would be in 2020 because none of the kids on his roster would be there to live it. He focused on the culture to lay the foundation for achieving his vision.

A common leadership mistake that typically leads to a bad culture is focusing too much on the vision and not on the actual path/culture required in achieving it. Success doesn’t immediately come and people start blaming each other for it and not trusting their teammates. If not addressed the culture becomes toxic.
I know what you're trying to say and I've never really been a fan of CGC's marketing schtick (I can ignore it if it works) but I do think 2008 is generationally very different from 2020.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I came into this game thinking we had a great chance to pick up a win. After the first series they were on offense, I had to rethink.

I saw a BC offensive line that was bigger and more mature than our defensive line. They had no trouble pushing aside our lighter, younger bodies and opening lanes for their backs. A freakishly athletic linebacker would have helped, but we don't have anyone like that at present. There is no remedy for that that I know of. At some point our safeties tried to come to the line quicker to stop their backs, but then they exploited that with passes. Their play-caller did a good job for them.

The only way we could have won this game was for the offense to have played error free ball and put up big numbers too. And of course that didn't happen.

Until we can grow and/or recruit bigger d-linemen, we are going to struggle every time we face big, veteran o-lines.