BC game opens with us a 4 point dog

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think this is about right. Basically, at a neutral site, BC would be -1 favorite.

They are well coached, and in general, do not beat themselves. We will need to play a clean game to pull the slight upset.
Line is down to 3/3.5.

They are well coached and it's a coin flip. Lot of ways to interpret that sentence :)

Deleted member 2897

This Saturday will tell us of we’re more likely to win 2 games this year or 6. There are quite a few games left where we can win if we play like we did against Louisville, or we can lose if we play like we did at Syracuse. Miami got totally embarrassed by Clemson, shook it off, and came back and played well last weekend. Can we do the same?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Their strength is a talented and experienced OL. We will have to score points to win since we probably won't stop their O. If we turn the ball over like we did in NY, we are toast. Need to be at least +2 in TO.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The team is young and can bounce back from a horrendous loss easier than a senior laden team normally would. It will be interesting to see how much pride and desire this team has.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Their strength is a talented and experienced OL. We will have to score points to win since we probably won't stop their O. If we turn the ball over like we did in NY, we are toast. Need to be at least +2 in TO.

Think we just need to not be negative with the turnovers. Don’t see why we’d need such a big edge.

We’ve got the better roster by a significant margin but they’ve got the better coaching (as shown by their OL play with what they’ve got). So teams overall look pretty close.

I think this game will look a lot like the UL game. Both offenses getting stuffed a few times and both defenses getting gashed a few times. Just gonna have to make more plays than them

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
We’ve got the better roster by a significant margin

I don't know how anyone who has watched us play can make a statement like that. Some people seem to want to find reasons to criticize this staff is all I can figure. Those people don't know what they are watching.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Just going off stats it appears they give up their fair share of sacks. Hopefully we can make the qb uncomfortable. Their running game stats are not that impressive so hopefully that holds true. On offense we cannot turn the ball over. I think we will be able to move the ball but we need TDs instead of empty possessions.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how anyone who has watched us play can make a statement like that. Some people seem to want to find reasons to criticize this staff is all I can figure. Those people don't know what they are watching.
I'm not really into recruit rankings, but here are the averages since 2016 (since that is the oldest class on the team)
1603210284816.png

I don't think it's I would say people are "finding a reason to criticize this staff" if they believe we have more talent that BC.

I personally find recruit rankings to be pretty dumb, but I can understand why someone would see the data and come to the conclusion that we have more talent overall.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm not entirely sure where the love of their OL comes from. They've allowed 18 sacks this year to our 6 and average 2.15 yards per carry to our 4.57. While part of that certainly likely falls on the QBs and RBs, where I believe we have the advantage in mobility on the first and just flat out advantage on the second, it is still two very drastic gaps in stats usually associated with OL play.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I'm not entirely sure where the love of their OL comes from. They've allowed 18 sacks this year to our 6 and average 2.15 yards per carry to our 4.57. While part of that certainly likely falls on the QBs and RBs, where I believe we have the advantage in mobility on the first and just flat out advantage on the second, it is still two very drastic gaps in stats usually associated with OL play.

Think most of it was preseason hype that’s starting to fade. But they’re still performing better than their recruiting would suggest.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Think most of it was preseason hype that’s starting to fade. But they’re still performing better than their recruiting would suggest.
We had an interesting discussion on this topic awhile ago. Some schools (I think Wiscy, Iowa, BC and Pitt were mentioned iirc) seem really adept at finding and perhaps more importantly, developing the lower ranked OL and DL that are not being recruited by the handful of brand name schools.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Mason may be back soon. 👀

Heck yes. I have been waiting for the media availability so hope this means it is coming out soon. Also great news about Mason, he brings a level of confidence that we need. Gibbs and 2KTae as well as Griffin are deep and beastly but we need the consistency and toughness he brings.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This is probably the worst travel to make outside of Cuse and we saw how that turned out.
Cuse : long flight / no fans = fish out of water
BC will be the same. Be interesting to see if we respond differently to the environment.
I agree. Flying almost to Canada to play football inside an empty dome had to be hard to get excited about.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think this is about right. Basically, at a neutral site, BC would be -1 favorite.

They are well coached, and in general, do not beat themselves. We will need to play a clean game to pull the slight upset.

I have watched two of their games: the game they lost to UNC and the overtime win against Pitt when the Pitt kicker having previously nailed a 50 plus yard field goal as time expired to force the overtime promptly turns around and misses a potentially tying extra point in OT. It's a good thing the Pitt head coach did not have a gun or COVID would have been the least of his worries. What I noticed for our game is that the BC quarterback is the very definition of a statue, big but painstakingly slow. Like real slow. However, given time he will kill us. He has a tight end that can get open, is big , relatively fast for the position and has great hands. A pair of wide receivers who will burn our safeties. This is a team with NO running game to speak of and loves to throw the deep ball. To win, we must put pressure on that guy because their receivers will get open. On offense, hold on to the ball and Sims has to make plays in the passing game. They seem to be pretty tough to run against but will give up yardage on the outside. We can win this game but it will not be easy. Both teams are coming off disappointing losses. It will be determined by which coaching staff can get the players to forget last week and focus on the job at hand. Both teams need a win really bad.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'm not really into recruit rankings, but here are the averages since 2016 (since that is the oldest class on the team)
View attachment 9298

I don't think it's I would say people are "finding a reason to criticize this staff" if they believe we have more talent that BC.

I personally find recruit rankings to be pretty dumb, but I can understand why someone would see the data and come to the conclusion that we have more talent overall.
Maybe so, but we don't have a tight end anywhere nearly as good as BC. Their defensive line seems to get a little more pressure in the two games I watched. We appear to have more team speed on defense but damn we are slow at linebacker and safety it would seem.