Baylor Fires Briles

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Fitting dismissal IMO. Can't be fostering a culture where violence against women is ignored (i.e. tolerated).

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/05/26/baylor-art-briles-coach-fired-rape-scandal
Extensive reporting by ESPN’s Outside the Lines has detailed a number of instances where Baylor officials and coaches were aware of sexual assault allegations against players but did not pursue disciplinary action. School president Ken Starr was reportedly fired by the school as a result of the scandal, though the school has denied the report.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Dude was a god there. Maybe that was the problem...Briles was worshipped, and he let things go unchecked because he thought he was untouchable.

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm wondering where he'll end up. Great coach, but the details of the story could be his end.

ESPN is loving every minute of this, they love these types of stories (they've literally turned into TMZ Sports).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm wondering where he'll end up. Great coach, but the details of the story could be his end.

I can't see anybody taking him now. Even if Peterson didn't call him and inform him about Ukwuachu's past, I can't see ANY school president taking a chance with him. If he were hired and a football player assaulted a student, there would be lawsuits. Even if there were no assaults, someone would probably fabricate one and file a lawsuit.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Some rando, lower division school in TX will take him. Heck, Bliss even coached again which i thought was unthinkable.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Some rando, lower division school in TX will take him. Heck, Bliss even coached again which i thought was unthinkable.

It is hard to believe that to choose between the least ethical coach in the past 15 years, Baylor has to decide between:

A coach who frames a murdered player as a drug dealer in order to cover for the living player who murdered him, and a coach who knowingly brings a sexual assaulter to his school and then pressures the athletic department to reduce the scholarship and force a transfer of the student who the sexual assaulter rapes.

Neither coach would fit into any Baptist organization that I know of.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He probably ends up as some team's OC in the NFL. NFL is much more forgiving than colleges can be. He'll "rehabilitate" his rep in the pro game, then go back to some school that's sold it soul for football success.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He probably ends up as some team's OC in the NFL. NFL is much more forgiving than colleges can be. He'll "rehabilitate" his rep in the pro game, then go back to some school that's sold it soul for football success.

I doubt he will be able to work in the NFL either. There isn't a coach's union to protect coaches from the No More campaign.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, hate to talk about relativity when it comes to this, but the Kansas accusation pales in comparison...

ESPN: New Baylor lawsuit alleges 52 acts of rape over 4 years
A lawsuit filed against Baylor University by a former female student on Friday alleges that the program fostered a culture in which alcohol and illegal drugs were provided to recruits, and that coaches encouraged female students in the Baylor Bruins hostess program to have sex with recruits and players.

A counter-point
Susu Taylor, a former member of the Baylor Bruins, said she never experienced any of that type of behavior, although she was in the group only during the 2015-2016 season.

"Everything was extremely professional ... Every time we did have a meeting, we were reminded of the rules," she said. "If we were caught, it was a huge compliance violation." Taylor said she had "zero personal contact" with the coaches and that the Bruins interacted only with their immediate program supervisor and not the coaches. She said members of the Bruins were not allowed to party with recruits or to even permit them to interact with them on social media, noting that she blocked recruits at least five times from even following her on Instagram. "We even had a uniform. They were not trying to portray us in any way, shape or form as sexual objects."